FlisKits - Nantucket Sound

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Being a Lighthouse fan, this kit was a must build. So far the build has been easy with no difficulties following the instructions. The main house shroud is built around an internal skeleton that adds support. The main shroud is easy to cut out and install. However, I think it would be more durable and easy to handle if the shroud was made out of heavy stock. The launch lug is attached to the internal frame work which is a neat design that keeps the outside looking clean. The internal balsa structure, and the flight fins are all balsa that you cut out using supplied patterns, and I like it this way. This brings the craftsmanship back into building, or for some teaches a new skill. The supplied balsa is fantastic and perfect for the parts.

I'll take some pictures of my progress tonight and post. Really a neat design that definitely stands out at the next launch.

Glad that you are enjoying the build :) Any pix??

As for the shroud, it's made from #110 card stock. Doubt we could get it any stiffer than that with conventional printing processes (it's a laser print).

I am looking forward to flying mine at NARAM :)

jim

Attached is the picture of the completed build. Really neat build that looks fantastic when completed. Only thing left to do is painting the main house since the top lighted section is completed. I really enjoyed building this kit.

The main shroud has to be handled with care, but the design is fine. I coated the shroud with two coats of polyurethane, and one coat of primer. It did get stronger, but you still have to be careful handling the house.

IMG_0770.jpg

Today the Lighthouse took flight! I flew the Nantucket Sound twice on D12-3, both were perfectly straight/stable boost with ejection at the apogee. This is a very nice flyer, and a very worth while project. I'm very pleased with the finished product, and it's another great flyer from FlisKits!

I did some research a found quite a few lighthouses that were finished in white with the black handrail and roof. So after trying to figure the best way to paint stripes for a few days the all white scheme was looking better. Overall it has a nice clean look to it I think.

FlisKitsNantucketSound.jpg

FlisKitsNantucketSoundFlight2.jpg

FlisKitsNantucketSoundFlight.jpg

I believe that someone at CATO (host section for NARCON 2009) is building, or may have already completed, an HPR upscale of the Nantucket Sound. :cool:

MarkII

Today the Lighthouse took flight! I flew the Nantucket Sound twice on D12-3, both were perfectly straight/stable boost with ejection at the apogee. This is a very nice flyer, and a very worth while project. I'm very pleased with the finished product, and it's another great flyer from FlisKits!

I did some research a found quite a few lighthouses that were finished in white with the black handrail and roof. So after trying to figure the best way to paint stripes for a few days the all white scheme was looking better. Overall it has a nice clean look to it I think.
Very nice looking, dude. I just may have to build one of those in memory of my Mom, who was a fan of lighthouses. She was particularly fond of some she saw in Maine during a coastline cruise a couple years ago, though I haven't the foggiest idea which ones :D, time for some research...

Back