FlisKits - Nantucket Sound (SP021) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Just finished my Nantucket Sound. Thanks Secret Santa :) (actually he sent me a Tartar, but so did someone else, so I traded it for a Nantucket Sound)

206426_10150208040010189_644005188_8834237_375274_n.jpg

Most of the rocket is brush painted, only the white on the body was spray painted. The Door and Windows was done with Sharpies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kewl, now for a launch pix??? :)

Others out there with Nantucket Sounds? I know there are a LOT of'em out there, so.... :)

Time to get Fliskits back on top in the Gallery. As soon as I saw this kit announced, I knew it was a must have. A bit of a memorial to my Mom, who thoroughly enjoyed visiting lighthouses. It took me a while, but here she is. The inspiration (with a hefty dose of artistic license) is from Cape Hatteras, with the variable width stripe.

This was a challenging build, a nice change. Much of the nose cone was painted in separate pieces, then glued together. The main stripe was free-hand masked.

NantucketSound1.jpg

WOW! Very nice! The Nantucket Sound has been a fun (and good) kit and I love the way folks have explored their favorite light houses with it!

Welcome to the FlisKits Nantucket Sound (SP021) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the FlisKits Nantucket Sound (SP021) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

FlisKits: Nantucket Sound: SP021

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
FlisKits Nantucket Sound (SP021) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
FlisKits

MODEL NAME: Nantucket Sound Also known as:

NUMBER: SP021

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 12.67"
Diameter: 5.02"
Span: 7.85"
Weight: 4.12 oz

Mfg. Description: No significant text in 2010 Catalog.

=====

FlisKits offered to design a commemorative kit for the upcoming NARCON 2009 event being held in the North East. The question was, what sort of design would fit the event nicely.

We were also going to be providing range box stickers to registered attendees and we requested the logo artwork to prepare the sticker art. Once we saw the logo, the kit design was set in stone!

A flying lighthouse! What could be better? It matched the lighthouse rocket shown in the NARCON logo and it was and iconic shape for the New England area. Perfect!

The trick was getting it designed such that it would fly well while at the same time making it something that could be kitted well and built correctly with reasonable skills.

The Nantucket Sound meets all of those requirements and more! Featuring 24mm power and free downloads, this kit will be one of the most unusual, yet best flying kits in your fleet!

It was not a complex rocket to design, but it certainly had several interesting concerns when trying to turn it into a kit for the masses. First was the needed addition of nose weight to attain proper stability. We then had to design a set of internal fins and a method of attaching them so that you would be certain to have them lined up properly for the attachment of the external fins. These internal fins provide critical support to the external fins while also helping to hold the shape of the body during assembly.

The nose cone also presented some interesting design problems as well. We believe that the end result looks good and is fairly easy to build. Using a paper cone for the tip kept the price reasonable while also providing a ready-made location for the nose weight.

All in all, we are quite proud of her. Having spent many a summer visiting lighthouses around New England, the Nantucket Sound has a very warming look while producing stunning flights even in small fields. We think you will agree that, as odd-rocs go, the Nantucket Sound is a must for ANY fleet! (FlisKits 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-nantucket%20sound%20sp021-2010%20cat.jpg
2010 Catalog

fliskits-nantucket%20sound%20sp021-2012%20web.jpg
2012 Web Ad
fliskits-nantucket%20sound%20sp021-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Back