Fliskits Midnight Express Mod

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lessgravity

Reaction score
OK Jim --- I'm sure someone has done this before but wanted to post about this fun mod.

In a few weeks I am going to be doing an exhibition launch for some kids at a camp. The field in which I'm flying is fairly small so these will be mostly A and B engines with the exception of my Art Applewhite Saucer and Cone which will be both flying on D's and E's.

I received a request that I fly a 2 stage rocket. Several of the kids were interested. What? Fly one of my precious 2 stagers on a small field.
No way! Until I came up with this solution....

I did a mod of the Midnight Express ( the downloadable printable paper Rocket over at FLISKITS ). I printed two copies of the pattern.
I built the first pattern normally creating the basic Midnight Express rocket.
I took the second pattern and cut out the tube pattern. I then cut the tube pattern short right at the launch lug markings.
I cut out the fins. I cut out both of the nose cone patterns without the glue tab. I then traced a third nose cone pattern on the remaining unused cardstock and cut it out. Fold the nose cone patterns in half these will become extensions to the fins.
Roll and glue the body tube. Attach the the fin extensions (folded nose cones) to the edge of the fins with glue. Then attach modified fins to short body tube. Add a little extra nose weight….and there we have a Midnight Express with the Bewitching Hour Booster. I highly reccommend a swing test prior to launch. If I Lose it then it's ok ... I'll just print more.
Here is a picture:

Here is my full article on my blog about the paper rocket experience.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to build the normal Midnight Express?

Originally posted by lessgravity
OK Jim --- I'm sure someone has done this before but wanted to post about this fun mod.

Yup, been done. The thread about it is .Here

I flew it once on a B6-0 / A8-5 combo and got both parts back.

The second time was C6-0 / C6-7 and it was gone. ;)

It was fun :D and cheap :)

As Bob said, it's been done, but is STILL a *great* idea!

I love the BLOG entry too :) It tickles me no end to see people get creative with our designs. I've been flying some version of the Midnight Express for over 20 years now but NEVER thought of making it TWO stage! LOL

Be sure to let us know how the launch goes. Oh, and make sure you have enough nose weight in that puppy! :)

jim

One thing I would recommend is that you add a second layer of paper around the top of the booster tube.

The staging force was too much for my booster and the tube split. I added a wrap before the second launch and the booster held up to the pressure but the sustainer was lost.

Originally posted by Stizzealth
Out of curiosity, how long did it take to build the normal Midnight Express?

I usually can build one in a couple of hours. It doesn't take long at all.

I think this is a great idea. I was thinking that if you want to do something for small field, the ME works great on A8 motors.

If I was going to two-stage it (wheels start spinning in my mind), I would print up the parts maybe 20%-40% larger so that I could build a bigger beast, but still put in an 18 mm motor mount. That way, I would have a really visible rocket for all aspects of the two-stage flight.

Clive

I think I'm gonna go the other way - I've got a bunch of A10-0T motors and I'm thinking of putting a couple of 13mm motor mounts in it . Should still be able to put in a respectable flight. :D

Greg

Back