FlisKits Mechanical Pencil - Problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
I always like placing orders with Fliskits for a number of reasons. One of them being the nice mechanical pencils that he sometimes includes with your shipment. I recently placed an order with Jim and was somewhat surprised at the size of the box it arrived in. It was met immediately by my wife asking me what I had ordered, followed by the thought we were saving comment. The darn economy is making it tough to sneak in stuff, let alone this huge box Jim had sent me. The other confusing part was that I had ordered some micro-maxx kits, just a few of them.

So I started unpacking the box first pulling out my micro's. Well much to my surprise, Jim was nice enough to send me one of his great pencils. However, disappointment soon set in as this pencil proved to be difficult to hold, and didn't even write. At this point I was very upset, and took some pictures to document the obvious customer service lapse. So I spoke to Jim, and he gave me the normal it was fine when it left here routine.

Well I'm asking you, does this pencil look normal to you? Do you think you could write with this pencil? Please, you be the judge!!

PencilwithRyan.jpg

Now that is waaaay cute (The pencil AND the little guy) but I see your point. :)

John,

What a great build!!! I, too, like the Fliskits mechanical pencils, but this takes the cake. What are you going to fly it on?
I'll have to find out where Jim buys the pencils from. Where I work we get a lot of catalogs from providers of promotional items. The one Jim sends out is one of the best one I have used - especially while marking body tubes.
Again, a beautiful bird.

Chas

OH! Now *that* is SWEET! I was wondering when I was going to see this bird :)

Ok, now for the details...

What are the dimensions?
Just how many micromaxx motors do you *need* for that thar thang?? (what does she fly on?)

Looks great and the decals is the cat's meow! :)

jim

< Well I'm asking you, does this pencil look normal to you? Do you think you could write with this pencil? Please, you be the judge>

Well...you might be able to "skywrite" with it...depending on what motor you use, and the stability of the thing...

Well I'm asking you, does this pencil look normal to you? Do you think you could write with this pencil? Please, you be the judge!!
Depends...Is that an elf in the picture? (And don't tell me his name is Maxx! :eek: :D )

MarkII

It is a 1.68 upscale of the Estes SkyWriter that uses the BT-60. For what ever reason it was the first model I played with when I got RockSim a year ago. After fooling with it on the program it really never got much further until I saw Peartree's thread where he was building one. So after reading his article, I really liked his completed model and pressed ahead with mine. He had already had Sandman make a cone for his so it was easy. The only exception was he ordered his in cedar, I had Sandman make mine from balsa. The fins are exact upscales of the Estes plastic fin unit, and are made from 1/8 basswood.

I wanted to make a different looking color scheme, so I decided on the FlisKits pencil. The only issue was that I needed some decals since they would make the model. First thing was to get permission from Jim to use his logo, and artwork. Jim sent his artwork over to Mark at Stickershock, and sent me an awesome set of decals for the upscale.

Hopefully I will have a chance to fly it this weekend. It should perform using a D12, E9, and the 24mm reloads. I think the E18/E28 will really make it exciting to watch.

I wanted to thank Jim Flis for giving me permission to use his company logo to duplicate the pencil. Mark from Stickershock for providing excellent customer service, and awesome decals. Of course Sandman for the top notch cone, and for Peartree's design.

DSC00055.jpg

PencilCloseup2.jpg

Those do look great!

BTW, when I make somebody a cone and they post pics, let me know that was a cone I made.

'cause I don't always put the screen name and customer name together.:eek:

I would like to put those pics on my web site.;)

Those do look great!

BTW, when I make somebody a cone and they post pics, let me know that was a cone I made.

'cause I don't always put the screen name and customer name together.:eek:

I would like to put those pics on my web site.;)

My name is John Bergsmith, and I think I bought the pencil cone back in November. Awesome cone, and excellent service you provide!

Man, that thing came out GREAT!

If you ever need to repair that point, consider embedding a short length of pencil graphite in the tip... ...Then the next time you fly it, you can use the rocket itself to fill out the flight card... LOL

my bad... :D

jim

Jim - what size of lead would he use - 18mm? :D

John - so it was a collaborative effort, then? Beautiful job!

You haven't answered my elf question yet, though... ;)

MarkII

Jim - what size of lead would he use - 18mm? :D

John - so it was a collaborative effort, then? Beautiful job!

You haven't answered my elf question yet, though... ;)

MarkII

MarkII,

That's my 60year old Dad holding the rocket for the picture. So yes, he's an elf and his name is Micro...not Maxx.

:)

Back