FlisKits - FarScape

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have begun this thread for the FarScape as the original thread was in the Low Power section ( see thread HERE ) titled "Proto #1" way back in November of 2002...

This design has been put on the back burner many times, but has now finally seen the light of day. We are actively working to get this into production and it could happen as soon as September, so stay tuned.

I will use this thread to keep everyone updated and we will begin with some photo's of the 2nd proto of this model. The 1st proto had some stability problems with the design and they have now all been corrected. I have recorded very good flights on A, B and C motors.

Here is a sneek preview (animated GIF, it starts about 1/2 second after fully loading).

These are photo's of the actual proto-type in less than perfect photo conditions (not to mention it isn't easy to take *snap-shots* of a glossy black object... :) )

Here is an overall picture. Quality isn't that good. With the sun coming out this afternoon, I hope to get better pix of it.

PLEASE NOTE: This proto is using lable printed decals. The final kit will contain silkscreened waterslide decals of very high quality.

These next two pictures show you some of the detail work on the guns and antenna that populate the rear of the model.

It truely is a very handsome rocket. You have to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Last pix for right now. A close up of the Antenna Array near the mid point of the model, where the tubes are joined. In the final version, there will be a painted tooth pick put in the center of the array to complete the "antenna" look.

jim

Looks great, Jim!

What's the anticipated approximate price range for this beauty, so I can start saving for it?

WW

Looks pretty cool. reminds me a little of the Andromeda. Is that OK to say.

Jim, looks great - can't wait to order one.

BillE - I really like your gliding Sting Ray idea!!! might be worth a shot.

Beautiful kit, Jim. I guess I know what my first kit from Flis Kits is going to be.

Originally posted by kelltym88
Looks pretty cool. reminds me a little of the Andromeda. Is that OK to say.

Oh heck, there's nothing wrong with *that*! :)

Actually the inspirations for this include several ideas that i've had in my head for a while along with the Andromeda and some of Shrox works (the theme was "NOT 3FNC"... :p

She'll be flying at LDRS too! :)

jim

That was my first thought, too! Never did get to own one of those Andromedas, but this looks like it'll be even cooler.

Glenn

Originally posted by jflis
Oh heck, there's nothing wrong with *that*! :)

Actually the inspirations for this include several ideas that i've had in my head for a while along with the Andromeda and some of Shrox works (the theme was "NOT 3FNC"... :p

She'll be flying at LDRS too! :)

jim

I was thinking more along the lines of the Andromeda and one of the Canaroc Starfleet rockets whose name escapes me at the moment.

Well, the Farscape performed very well at LDRS.

The first launch was very frustrating... It was on the LPR pads (the insisted on calling htem the "Estes" pads instead of the "FlisKits Pads"... :p

On it's first flight, it was on pad 3 of 5 on a full rack. I have my camera dangling from my neck when all of a sudden they start the LPR pads so I'm holding my camera waiting for the FarScape launch...

The first words out of the LCO's mouth was "On pad three we have something called a farscape, going in 3, 2, 1, woosh!"

I was stunned

the second launch went much better. They announced the company and made some complimentary comments about the rocket and the crowed got much more into it. :)

Pix tonight or tomorrow in the LDRS thread

jim

Well, we're cutting it close, but it looks like a NARAM release is a go. I may even be accepting pre-orders on this one in the next few days.

Decals have been ordered and should be enroute. All other parts are in house and I am actively working on the documentation with the hope of a monday delivery to the print shop. That will give us 2 days to kit up a couple hundred of these.

Here is a sample of some of the figures from the assembly instructions:

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
You draw all those three-dimensional drawings in WORD ?

oh LORD no! LOL

I layup the *instructions* in word. That's what I thought was being asked when you asked what I "compose" the instructions in...

I do the graphics with Corel Draw V9.0. I started using corel when it was V3.0 and currently run V8, V9 & V10.

I also use Corel Photopaint, Corel Trace, and Microsoft Image Composer.

It does a great job, I just need more training on 3D art rendering and I would *love* a good 3D rendering tool (all of these drawings are 2D drawings of 3D representations.

jim

Originally posted by wwattles
Looks great, Jim!

What's the anticipated approximate price range for this beauty, so I can start saving for it?

WW

Haven't done the firm numbers yet, but this will be in the high teens, low 20's

I'm interested in this one!

I wonder if I'll ever have time to build it....:rolleyes:

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
I'm interested in this one!
I wonder if I'll ever have time to build it....:rolleyes:

I hear ya.
My wife threatens to shoot me everytime a new box is delivered. My rocket shelves are overflowing, there's no more room under the bed, and I just put a few nails in the shelves to hang more kits from. It's rediculous and I know it, but I just can't resist. When I get ready to build a new one, I like being able to choose as if I'm in the hobby store.
I need a helper. My son will probably learn the art of rocket building at a very young age. :)

Tim

Originally posted by jflis
It does a great job, I just need more training on 3D art rendering and I would *love* a good 3D rendering tool (all of these drawings are 2D drawings of 3D representations.

jim

Jim, have you heard of gMax? It's a crippled version of 3D Studio Max that's free. It's was released to allow PC game modders to add new content to games and stuff. It doesn't render, and there are a few other limitations, but I don't think they would be a problem for creating instructions. You CAN add lights, but there aren't any cast shadows, and the only way to get a pic is to hit "Print Scr" on your keyboard and then edit the screen cap. The whole idea is to let the game rendering engine do all the fancy stuff.

It comes with a few tutorials, and there are others that can be found, but it's not that difficult to use.

Here's a link:

https://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Originally posted by qMaxx
Jim, have you heard of gMax? It's a crippled version of 3D Studio Max that's free. It's was released to allow PC game modders to add new content to games and stuff. It doesn't render, and there are a few other limitations, but I don't think they would be a problem for creating instructions. You CAN add lights, but there aren't any cast shadows, and the only way to get a pic is to hit "Print Scr" on your keyboard and then edit the screen cap. The whole idea is to let the game rendering engine do all the fancy stuff.

It comes with a few tutorials, and there are others that can be found, but it's not that difficult to use.

Here's a link:

https://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

I've heard of it, may give it a try..., thanx.

Back