Fliskits Deuces Wild

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Ordered one, should arrive tomorrow, I'll write a full write-up about it :D
Karl

Just picked one up from Ken @ performance hobbies. Have a kit bash / upscale / clone (one rocket) in mind to build along side it using the dual engine concept.

Hope to get it started in a week or so......Working on the Sandman fun scale 1B.

Jim, it looks FANTASTIC!
The design, packaging, everything , 10/10!

I will update this thread as the build goes on :D

Originally posted by Karl
Jim, it looks FANTASTIC!
The design, packaging, everything , 10/10!

I will update this thread as the build goes on :D

Thank you :) You know, you are the *first* person to comment on the new cover art packaging :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Thank you :) You know, you are the *first* person to comment on the new cover art packaging :)

jim

I am sure you meant to say he was the first person on this forum to comment on it ;). :D.

Sorry; just giving you a hard time....

Guess I am jelous... you get to meet Jay Apt Wednesday !!! :eek:

Jim, the lasercut CR's are amazing! The mmt is clean, straight forward and easy to do :D I've only got upto instruction #4 but it's already exciting !
Karl

Originally posted by n3tjm
I am sure you meant to say he was the first person on this forum to comment on it ;). :D.

Sorry; just giving you a hard time....

Guess I am jelous... you get to meet Jay Apt Wednesday !!! :eek:

nya, nya, NYA nya nya! :D :D *meet* him? Heck, i'll be spending the afternoon with him. His book signing table is right along side my booth (they did this on purpose to get rockets close to him :) ) They even felt the need to *ask* me if that would be ok... LOL

Actually, the basic layout of those rings was Doug's idea. The original had a single upper ring that you cut out yourself. WHen I decided to go with laser cut rings, Doug suggested that I make that a 2-piece ring. Works great :)

Yeah it works great alright! The mmt went together a treat. I carn't believe I've nealy got this finished. I cut the fins out, cut the bodytube to make way for the motor tubes, attached the launch lugs, and now I am ready to fillet the fins & get cracking with the sanding sealer. Btw, the nosecone is a work of art!!! :cool: :D
Karl

Well shes finished, and painted in Dafodill yellow.

Heres a few snap shots..

Karl

You are lucky Karl my Deuces Wild didn't come with a bottle of whisky.:( I guess I need to get a Deuces Wild with the the new cover art packaging to get me a bottle to.:D

No really it looks great Karl and you are going enjoy it. I have one also and the boys and I fly it every chance we get. We love watching the dual smoke trails.

hmm...a drunken deuce....lol. you should launch a shot inside and then pound it when it lands....muhahahaha. that'd be cool. looks like it came out really good so far...

Bumping this up with my own inputs.

Bought mine directly from Jim via mail order.

All parts arrived fine.

But then, this is the kit that was kursed. You'll see . . .

Started to work it, and it looked challenging.

At one point, I lost the laser-cut mounts. You should know that this is the key to the kit. Without the engines pointing in the correct direction (which is what these mounts do), you might as well glue fins on to engines. But I still had the outlines of these mounts from the left-over black stuff (a kind of hardened cardboard). So, I cut new ones using balsa and two layers of cardboard from the kit's front label.

Constructed the motor mount using this jury-rigged combination.

Used Jim's BT-60 (forgot the precise measurement) baffle kit that removes the need for recovery wadding. But I did this AFTER I had glued the shock-cord attachment. This necessitated removing the now-dry and hard attachment. Not easy. But in the end, it worked.

Didn't have modeler's putty, so used (please don't cringe) a combination of glue, water, and tissue to fill in the gaps in the external areas of the motor mounts. Looked real ugly when dry. Kids, do not do this at home.

Cut fins, sanding sealed them and the nose cone.

One fin warped a bit, don't know why. A slight bend to it.

Glued the fins on with the grain in the wrong direction, but fortunately, discovered this before the glue set.

Painted the whole thingy orange BT, white engine mount area, and blue fins. Very, very visible.

First launch (Lucerne Dry Lake, CA, Sep 1): Ooops. One B6-4 engine did NOT ignite (due to my inexperience with clustering). I expected a disaster, but lo and behold, the DW flew straight up. Asked on the SCRA Yahoo group why this was so, as I expected it to just turn over and slam into the ground, what with only one engine working. Answer: the engines point to the center of pressure of the DW.

Parachute malfunctioned on this flight, but DW came down safely.

Second flight: Both C6-5's ignited fine, flew straight up into the wild blue with two very kewl and clear ignition trails, and for recovery used a different, stronger, larger parachute, and the flight was one of the best I've ever had.

Kudos to Jim for making a kit that puts up with the nonsense I did to it.

The Fliskits Deuces Wild was the most fun I've EVER had building a model rocket! This was the first kit that I bought from Fliskits. Everything about this kit was so refreshing to see compared to what I was used to. In fact, I just launched her this weekend on two C6-5's for a picture perfect flight!:)

Well, thank you folks :)

The Deuce's Wild! is one of my favorites too (who'da'thunk it?? :D )

Man, ShmuelGoldstein, it sounds like you overcame a lot of problems on that build! LOL But you did good.

Here's a hint (or two), for the future, if you have no filler for such jobs.

1) Using sandpaper, sand a bunch of waste balsa. Mix the sawdust with glue and you have your own wood-putty

or

2) coat the area (i assume you are referring the the joint between the motor tubes and the body tube) in layers of glue soaked newspaper (paper mache' (sp?)). This will conform over the compound curves and works fairly well.

As for having to make your own rings, fret not... :) The first couple of hundred kits we *sold* only came with a pattern and a sheet of cardboard and you *had* to cut out your own rings. Feedback from customers convinced us to go with laser cut rings!

jim

Originally posted by ShmuelGoldstein

Didn't have modeler's putty, so used (please don't cringe) a combination of glue, water, and tissue to fill in the gaps in the external areas of the motor mounts. Looked real ugly when dry. Kids, do not do this at home.

I used Fix-It Epoxy clay (available from Apogee or directly from Fix-It) for this. It worked really well.

Scott

Originally posted by jflis
As for having to make your own rings, fret not... :) The first couple of hundred kits we *sold* only came with a pattern and a sheet of cardboard and you *had* to cut out your own rings. Feedback from customers convinced us to go with laser cut rings!

jim

Shudder! I own one of those original kits! LOL! #11 :cool:

Originally posted by Karl
Well shes finished, and painted in Dafodill yellow.

If that's the case, then she really should be called Deuce's Wildflower! ;)

I've built one Deuce. More like I've built one *rocket* and it was a Deuce. :)

Back