FlisKits: Decim8 now available for pre-orders!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
FlisKits is proud to announce our newest kit the:

Decim8

Sister ship to the popular Alien8, the Decim8 is a sinister battleship from the depths of the Horse Head nebula. Striking fear into the hearts of all who would rise against her.

The model kit of the Decim8 stands nearly 40" tall and features an array of fins and guns, split tube construction, water slide decals and one of the most exciting and unique engine mounts in the industry!

This kit is now available for pre-orders with an expected ship date on or before 20-December!

Attached photo's include:
- Decim8 logo
- 3 views (top, profile, end)
- Image of the Decim8 leaving the vicinity of Devan-3 after decimating the outpost there
- Close up of the unique (laser cut) engine mount
- Overall photo of the latest proto type.

Check it out now at fliskits.com

DSC05178.JPG

DSC05227.JPG

Attachments

• decim8-3views.gif
    decim8-3views.gif
    52.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Devan3-01sm.jpg
    Devan3-01sm.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 12
Just when you thought Flis couldn't get any wilder. Wow!!!

Wicked cool!

Jim showed me a sneak peak of this kit back at NARCON 2008. It looks like Jim added some more fins and laser cannons since then but the key elements were definitely in place way back then.

IMGP0197cr Flis Sneak Peek 2.jpg

IMGP0198cr Flis Sneak Peek 3.jpg

Bob,
that was the first proto. I modified it for several reasons including the fact that the fin cord was a bit too long resulting in quite a bit of flex at that point. When flying that proto on C motors you noticed a distinctive cork screwing during the last half of the boost.

Also, the angles of the fins just bothered me for some reason... :) Plus it didn't look "sinister" enough for me. That's what lead to the next proto and then just refinements from that to the final product.

It's been a challenge, that's for sure. The figures for the instructions on this beast were a real bear! I'm just glad I was able to finish it in time for the holidays :)

Here are some more details around that engine mount that seems to have caught everyone's attention :)

jim

P1010199.JPG

P1010200.JPG

P1010202.JPG

P1010208.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking bird Jim! This is gonna be a real challenge when you do the MMX version:y:

Awesome design!!

Looks like most of it MIGHT even survive the first recovery. :)

So 18mm mount, B and C engines??? Leaning toward the C's I would imagine. And an 18" chute?? Or does this come in with one of those super secret anti-gravity devices?? :)

simply awesome Jim!!

Hey how's the cargo rocket coming along that's in Bob's photo's are should we all just wait for more reports form the planetary press?

A design that goes straight to my heart!!! Jim, awesome design... this may be my first Fliskit rocket!!!

Nice looking bird Jim! This is gonna be a real challenge when you do the MMX version:y:

Ya know, still looking for a micro ping pong ball... LOL

=========================
Awesome design!!

Looks like most of it MIGHT even survive the first recovery. :)

So 18mm mount, B and C engines??? Leaning toward the C's I would imagine. And an 18" chute?? Or does this come in with one of those super secret anti-gravity devices?? :)

I've flown my 6-7 times so far with no damage and that included two times that the parachute got snarled up. At 2.5 oz. she really isn't that heavy and the latest re-design puts the landing loads on the wing pods instead of that beautiful engine mount in the center...

I thought about 24mm but that would have made it far more clunkier and besides, my opinion is that if I put THAT much work into a model such as this I want to be able to read the decals at apogee... Someone's minimum diameter 38mm 3FNC and the Decim8 look identical when out of sight... :)

simply awesome Jim!!

Hey how's the cargo rocket coming along that's in Bob's photo's are should we all just wait for more reports form the planetary press?

I love that cargo ship! I have to do a design change as it is not stable with all 12 of the cargo pods. Will be working on that one this winter... :)

A design that goes straight to my heart!!! Jim, awesome design... this may be my first Fliskit rocket!!!

FIRST? Aw, dude! Come on over to the fun side of rocketry :)

... At 2.5 oz. she really isn't that heavy...

Jim - is that a "Finished" weight or "Nekkid" weight. I would bet that after I got done filling and priming and painting and decaling and clear coating it could end up significantly heavier.... have you flown it with a D10 yet :rolleyes:

Looks awesome any way you slice it... :D

I've flown my 6-7 times so far with no damage and that included two times that the parachute got snarled up. At 2.5 oz. she really isn't that heavy and the latest re-design puts the landing loads on the wing pods instead of that beautiful engine mount in the center...

That was sort of a tongue in cheek comment about the recovery. I did notice that the wing pods extended beyond the engine mount which was a nice touch. The only thing that might be an issue is the toothpicks on the smaller fins but those would be easily fixable. And 2.5 oz is pretty light, much lighter than I would have imagined.

I thought about 24mm but that would have made it far more clunkier and besides, my opinion is that if I put THAT much work into a model such as this I want to be able to read the decals at apogee... Someone's minimum diameter 38mm 3FNC and the Decim8 look identical when out of sight... :)

I couldn't agree more. I fly with my young kids and I figure if they can't see it when the chute pops then I'm not flying it. It's sort of equal parts their own enjoyment and the more practical matter that they are the recovery team! :)

Hats off on a very nice model. :clap:

Looks like all of the custom parts are in, as well as the documentation! We expect to be kitting them up this weekend with hopes of shipping on Monday.

We'll keep everyone posted!
jim

Ya know, still looking for a micro ping pong ball... LOL

Would solid polystyrene do? From McMaster:

Shape > Diameter > Material

Plastics
This product matches all of your selections.

whiteballs.gif

Part Number: 9374K35 $14.69 per Pack of 100
Material
Polystyrene
Polystyrene Material
High-Impact Polystyrene
Backing
Plain Back
Shape
Balls
Ball Type
Solid
Diameter
1/2"
Diameter Tolerance
±.002
Clear
Clear with No Tint
Operating Temperature Range
Up to +150° F
Tensile Strength
Good
Impact Strength
Poor
Tolerance
Standard
Hardness
Rockwell M: 75
Specifications Met
Not Rated

detailpg.gif

Would solid polystyrene do?

The problem there is that they're solid... Would be a bear to expect the modeler to drill an accurate hole through the center, and you can't really afford to have *me* do it as a part of the kitting...

Cool though. I'm going to keep that page bookmarked :)

And we have (kitting) success!

We now have a nice batch of Decim8 kits in stock and will begin shipping tomorrow (Monday)! :)

I always get worried when I do an early announcement and allow for pre-orders. I normally don't do that but I got a lot of feedback requesting pre-orders, so I gave it another shot. We got everything done in the time frame we scheduled for and I am thrilled :)

jim

DSC05724sm.jpg

The problem there is that they're solid... Would be a bear to expect the modeler to drill an accurate hole through the center, and you can't really afford to have *me* do it as a part of the kitting...

Cool though. I'm going to keep that page bookmarked :)

You're a clever guy. I'm sure you could come up with some kind of jig so the modeler could do it. Of course doing that detail around the motor mount with all those curved pieces 1/4 or 1/2 size of the original would be a challenge.

You could use a sophisticated heat beam called a 'laser'. Using this 'laser' we could cut a hole in the ball.
dr.evil.laser.jpg

I could see some of the comments I would get with a laser in the list of required tools... LOL oh man!

Oh! We have begun shipping the Decim8! A bunch went out today and a bunch more going tomorrow.

We have plenty, so order more! :)

I could see some of the comments I would get with a laser in the list of required tools... LOL oh man!
I should have been more clear. I should have said "Using this 'laser' YOU (Jim) could cut a hole in the ball."

Although if Santa was to send me a laser-cutter for Christmas, I'd be willing to drill a few holes for you. :santa-smile:

Ordered my 2009 FlisFleet last night! :merry-christmas: to me! I can't wait until the box arrives!

Mine arrived today. Number 6!

:happydeer::tree::hohoho:

Decim8 # 24 showed up with the rest of my FlisFleet yesterday. I can't wait to start on it but it won't be till after the holidays.

Back