Fliskits - Decaffeinator (SP011) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
This one is fragile so it has not flown much but it sure pleases the kids when it does. They seem to appreciate a rocket made of styrofoam coffee cups.

My most vivid memory of this one is seeing it float down after ejection. It was a real featherweight and the parachute dangled limp below.

decaf-tape-2.jpg

Ord-f2.jpg

OO-F1a.jpg

OO-F1c.jpg

OO-F1j.jpg

Last edited:
Wanted to give this thread a bump to see if anyone else has anything that they would to share of basic Decaffeinators or variants. My daughter is building hers right now along with the parasite glider for it that she picked up at Red Glare last weekend. It looks like she will be adding a booster stage.

My oldest daughter loves Jim's designs... Here is her latest build, the Decaffeinator

_MG_5373.JPG

I love his designs!

Havent I seen one of these made from 5gal buckets (troj??). I do believe these classify as 'normal' design.

Welcome to the Fliskits Decaffeinator (SP011) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Flistkits Decaffeinator (SP011) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Fliskits: Decaffeinator: SP011

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Fliskits Decaffeinator (SP011) Basic Information.

fliskits.gif
Fliskits

MODEL NAME: Decaffeinator Also known as:

NUMBER: SP011

Introduced: 2005
Final Year:
Designer: Jim Flis

Type: Oddroc
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 69"
Diameter: 3.75"
Span: 11"
Weight: 6.1 oz

Mfg. Description: Foam cup rocket made almost entirely of foam coffee cups.

Build a rocket over 7 feet tall that weighs less than 5 ounces.

Easy assembly and great flights time after time! The largest C powered rocket ever made! (Fliskits 2005 Catalog)

The Decaffeinator is a first in the world of model rocketry. Not that this is the first foam cup rocket ever made. But it IS the first foam cup rocket KIT ever made!

Foam cup rockets seem to be a product of the minds of rocketeers in the North East USA but their actual origins are not known. First seen by Jim Flis at a Pearl River MODroc conference, Jim has explored these beasts for many years trying new and different designs every time. They are fun to build and always get attention at the launch field. (Fliskits 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

fliskits-decaffeinator%20sp011-2005%20cat.jpg
2005 Catalog
fliskits-decaffeinator%20sp011-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

Other Printed Matter

fliskits-decaffeinator%20sp011-2005%20flier.jpg
2005 Poster

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
I love to watch Jim launch this bird.
One launch, the glider did not detach and it flew with the big D all the way to the ground.

Although the instructions recommend hot glue for the Styrofoam, my glue seams seem very fragile. The cups keep breaking apart at the glue seam with very little pressure. I'm thinking foam safe CA might be a better choice.
Anyhoo, waiting for an absolutely dead calm day to maiden my Decaf. Here's a shot with the optional parasite glider:
0206200909.jpg

And with a Guillow's space shuttle dry fitted:
0206200910.jpg

Hmmm. I wonder if it can carry TWO foam gliders?
The last page of the instructions shows some other foam cup configurations, including a 116 cup rocket called the Humongous. Think I'll start saving my used coffee cups.;)
Laters.

I have been trying out this glue for foam I ordered from Amazon.
0909200203[1].jpg
Much stronger than the recommended hot glue, and no heating required.
Also longer working time.
It's called Foam2Foam, made by Deluxe Materials.
Here's some 8 oz. cups glued together.
Holds very well, even horizontally.
0909200209[1].jpg
Will be repairing my Decaffeinator with this.

I have been trying out this glue for foam I ordered from Amazon.
View attachment 431159
Much stronger than the recommended hot glue, and no heating required.
Also longer working time.
It's called Foam2Foam, made by Deluxe Materials.
Here's some 8 oz. cups glued together.
Holds very well, even horizontally.
View attachment 431160
Will be repairing my Decaffeinator with this.

Very nice! what I've found is the hot glue gets brittle over time. I think I'll order a tube for repairs as well.

Mine seems to need a repair after every flight, but it’s easier than most rockets to fix. I built the motor mount to allow for the longer E12 motors and have flown it twice that way (with the glider both times). I also built a 29mm motor mount to use instead of the 24mm mount, but haven’t had the balls to try it yet.

I saw an OOP Fliskits Espresso on Ebay.
Never knew about it. So of course I had to clone it.
Think downscale Decaffeinator.
13mm motor mount, 4 oz. foam cups.
Rear pop pod streamer recovery.
I didn't have a fin template pattern so I used eyesim.
Finished this up with brush paint on the fins last night.
Baby bear to the Decaffeinator's Papa Bear.
Coming up: Mama Bear.
1030201144[1].jpg

Here’s mine. I still haven’t decided how tall I wanted it. Won’t launch this year so I have ... about 6 months to make a decision.
CDF45B7A-B170-4707-9260-C4949C3D787A.jpeg

Completed the rest. And here’s what it looks like next to a door.
02BC2AD8-7753-4417-B1F1-75DFB7738E78.jpeg

And no issue painting over Styrofoam? Like Rustoleam rattle cans kinda stuff?

That's a big rocket to paint - I can see many variations of color! 🤩

And no issue painting over Styrofoam? Like Rustoleam rattle cans kinda stuff?

That's a big rocket to paint - I can see many variations of color! 🤩

For another styrofoam project (a “mission control & blast shelter” accompanying my Smurf rocket), I’ve used Krylon craft foam primer, and then a color, and it works very well. One thing though is that just two cans will cost more than this rocket, so you’d better have a plan!

1611164898650.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine seems to need a repair after every flight, but it’s easier than most rockets to fix. I built the motor mount to allow for the longer E12 motors and have flown it twice that way (with the glider both times). I also built a 29mm motor mount to use instead of the 24mm mount, but haven’t had the balls to try it yet.
Try a wrap of (colored) electrical tape at each joint. Looks nice and adds a great deal of strength :)

Spray paints can dissolve foam.
Brushing paint from a can worked for me on the styrofoam nose cone of the Quest MLAS.
Try a wrap of (colored) electrical tape at each joint. Looks nice and adds a great deal of strength :)
Hey Jim. Good to hear from you. How's life these days?

Back