Fliskits Dead Ringer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked the blue and red combination I had gotten thus far but I wanted to do something more. I decided to apply a purple I had sitting around to the interior of the rings and to the fins. My experience with this paint before was that it would need several coats.

DR-purple-1.jpg

DR-purple-2.jpg

DR-purple-3.jpg

DR-purple-4.jpg

A day later, I brushed on another coat of the purple and, while it improved the splotchiness, it was readily apparent that a third and perhaps even a fourth coat would be needed.

DR-purple-5.jpg

DR-purple-6.jpg

DR-purple-7.jpg

The third coat improved things much more but I still figured at least one more would be needed.

DR-purple-8.jpg

DR-purple-9.jpg

DR-purple-10.jpg

Two days later, the fourth coat was added. It did deepen the color but I figured that I would make do with just the four coats since the bottle chose that point to inconsiderately run out of paint.

DR-purple-11.jpg

DR-purple-12.jpg

That being the case, my first purpose built MMX rocket was ready to fly.

DR-done-1.jpg

Prior to this, my only MMX launches had been of the Quest plastic bricks so I had little idea of what to expect. I did plan on using up an entire box of 6 motors trying it out but fate had other ideas in store for me.

The MMX motor was loaded and I went to open one of the packages of pyrogen free igniters I had ordered from Flis. I grabbed the wrong bag and the igniters all had pyrogen. I went ahead and used a sharpened twig to plug the igniter hole, set it up on the pad and let everyone know. MMX is an oddity at my club and the only ones I know of to have been previously flown are the previously mentioned plastic bricks.

DR-f1a.jpg

DR-f1b.jpg

DR-f1c.jpg

When the launch button was pushed, it streaked off the pad giving a much better performance than any of the plastic rockets. The problem was following the small target with my increasing elderly eyes.

Ejection seemed to take place before apogee but I could not swear to it. What did happen was that the Kevlar thread parted and the nosecone and streamer were lost, putting and end to the day's flights of this rocket.

DR-f1d.jpg

DR-f1e.jpg

DR-f1f.jpg

The post flight post mortem surprized me. I thought that the nail had pulled out but that was not the case. It was in place and secure. The Kevlar had just parted.

damage-1.jpg

The first thing I decided is that I would be satisfied with nose blow recovery in the future. The streamer was a pain to pack and I don't think it was needed. With that in mind, I removed it and then tied the Kevlar back together.

tied-kevlar.jpg

The Kevlar was then trimmed and the shock cord stuffed back into the BT. That is plenty of effort for clumsy fingers like mine.

With that, it is ready to try again.

done-1.jpg

done-2.jpg

At my club launch on Saturday, we had a newer member who had heard of MMX rockets but had never seen one. I promised to fly one as an example and the Dead Ringer was the choice. After its last repair, I did not replace the streamer, figuring that it was light enough to survive any non-aerodynamic fall. That proved to be a good decision because the most trouble in prepping is trying to get the streamer packed. Even without the streamer, coaxing the thread into the BT was not fun. I tried using a piece of twig and that would help to push it in but it also invariably snagged and pulled the thread back out when withdrawing. Finally, another member suggested a plastic coffee stirring stick and that seemed to solve most of the problems.

The motor was installed and the previously useless twig found a new calling as a plug to hold the Quest igniter in place. The DR was taken out to the pad and hooked up.

Dead-Ringer-f1a.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1b.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1c.jpg

I've still never seen this thing take off, much less capture a photo of the event. One moment its sitting on the pad and the next I am scanning the sky trying to find it. Find it I did and it flew well. When it popped its lid, the thread didn't burn thru this time and it fluttered down.

Dead-Ringer-f1d.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1e.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1f.jpg

I got a good handle on where it landed, not too far away and snapped a shot. I was not able to see the rocket through the camera. When examining the photo later, I eventually found it.

I like this little thing but I have to add another reason for not doing too much with MMX. In addition to having fingers that are too big, my eyes are getting too old.

Dead-Ringer-f1g.jpg

Great pix :)

Now, now, now... no excuses to *not* do micro rocketry... Rather this is a good excuse to get the *tools* you may need (like me...) You know. Magnifiers, tweezers, kids with young eyes, etc.... (of course, with the kids you'll need a larger range box (preferably sound proof))... LOL

Great pix :)

... kids with young eyes, etc.... (of course, with the kids you'll need a larger range box (preferably sound proof))... LOL

I've got one that I'm willing to sell for parts right now. The brain has hardly ever been used.:dark:

John:
To help in "Seeing" the model during recovery, Ya might want to add a short say 8 or 9" length of talc baby powdered Teflon Plumbers tape. This can be tied directly to your shockline and stuffed it as both Recovery streamer and wadding to help protect the shockline;) You'll be amazed at what a difference ANY little bit of streamer makes in helping to sight micros in flight.
I'm a pretty big guy myself, sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right "Add-on" to help the "old eyes" LOL!!! Micros are a blast. they really do help working with standard size models.....all of a sudden you fell like a giant:D

Last edited:
John:
To help in "Seeing" the model during recovery, Ya might want to add a short say 8 or 9" length of talc baby powdered Teflon Plumbers tape. This can be tied directly to your shockline and stuffed it as both Recovery streamer and wadding to help protect the shockline;) You'll be amazed at what a difference ANY little bit of streamer makes in helping to sight micros in flight.
I'm a pretty big guy myself, sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right "Add-on" to help the "old eyes" LOL!!! Micros are a blast. they really do help working with standard size models.....all of a sudden you fell like a giant:D

A couple of things.

I made the decision to remove the streamer because packing it and the cord are the most difficult aspect of flying this one. The frustration factor is high and it seemed to me that it would recover fine without.

That said, I agree, a streamer would definitely help with tracking it.

As for the Teflon tape, are you saying that it is flameproof? I never knew that and it might be worthwhile to try.

A couple of things.

I made the decision to remove the streamer because packing it and the cord are the most difficult aspect of flying this one. The frustration factor is high and it seemed to me that it would recover fine without.

That said, I agree, a streamer would definitely help with tracking it.

As for the Teflon tape, are you saying that it is flameproof? I never knew that and it might be worthwhile to try.

Yeap! it's flame proof... it's teflon!

A couple added Micro Maxx model Prep tools are a 4" piced of 1/8" and 3/16" hardwood dowels. These Pushers are used to help stuff our tiny Teflon streamers and shocklines back in those tight little T2+, T2++, and T3 Bodies. almost a necessity for us Large fingered folks, and a huge help for just about everyone;)

I've replaced all other streamer material for my Micro Models with Teflon tape.
this does two things. serves as a very helpful aid in seeing these tiny models during recovery and second doubles as FP Wadding.
On larger T3 and up micros were I might use a small chute, teflon tape is used as permanent wadding tied to the shockline.

Plain old very thin white plumbers thread sealing teflon tape works but can be a little ackward to work with at first. The only trick to use of Teflon tape is that it MUST be heavily Talc baby powdered on both sides before the first fold rolling, as it does want to stick to itself. I re-powder these tiny streamers after 2 or 3 flights, more often in humid weather.
Personally I've found the easiest way to pack teflon streamers is a fold, fold fold, roll method. where I half the streamer back on itself toward the shockline knot. then half again and a third time then roll the stack to fit the body tube. These well powdered streamers fall open at ejection even if left folded in the models for months. in cold weather they do need to be repacked before each flight.

McMaster-Carr Cat pg 3327 Cat numbers#44945K11 to K16 and other industrial suppliers offer muted color military grade PTFE Pipe thread Sealant Tapes in widths from 1/4" to 2" on 43foot rolls in 4 colors light green, yellow, orange & red. these military premium grade tapes are about twice as thick as our Harry Homeowner Plumbers tapes (and about twice the weight) but make excellent micro and small Model rocket streamers up to about 1 lb.
I know I've posted these comments and suggestions before...perhaps in TRF-1??? Heres a photo of the material again.

Last edited:
这家伙很有创造力

I wanted to give my new MMX launch rack a real workout in its first deployment but there were only 2 MMX rockets present at the club launch. One of them was my Dead Ringer. I prepped it and took it out to the pad.

Dead-Ringer-f1a.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1b.jpg

As I have come to expect with these little birds, lift off was too fast for me to catch.

Dead-Ringer-f1c.jpg

The flight was good but the ejection charge blew off the NC again.

Dead-Ringer-f1d.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1e.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1f.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1g.jpg

Lindsey and Tiger rushed to find the rocket but were unable to locate the cone.

MR. Flis, be expecting another order from me soon.

Dead-Ringer-f1h.jpg

Dead-Ringer-f1i.jpg

Back