Fliskits Avalear

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach7

Reaction score
Jim got this kit to me so fast, I had to move it up in the build queue.

I ordered it at 1 PM and 1PM the next day the postman delivered it.

It's a skill level 1.5, a little more advanced than intro kits.

As usual the parts and instructions are top notch. A nice touch is the fin template, similar to the Triskeleon. A motor tube is glued on to the template to aid in assembly. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. They are very detailed to aide the beginner builder, complete with "Thing-a-ma-Fact's" that explain what each part is for. A cartoon guy keeps popping up, peeking over some of the steps. In each step that requires measuring, a ruler is printed.

Jim, I did notice that step 16 has a typo. The second sentence has an "in" missing the i.

The folding of the instructions is interesting, but seems to work well.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

The motor mount is standard. A BT-20, engine hook, engine stop, and 2 centering rings. One of the rings has to have the motor hook notch cut out. The motor hook is taped in place. I almost deviated here and used a mylar ring instead of tape, but I went stock. The length of Kevlar cord is tied around the end of the completed motor mount. I ran a bead of thick CA glue over the cord to hold it in place.

The fins are cut out of balsa stock. The patterns are printed on very thick paper-a very nice touch, it makes tracing them very easy. They only required light sanding to even them up. While laser cut fins are convenient, I like cutting the lumber.

a5.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

The fin template has a cutout for the secondary fin location. This works well. I traced the location then using the double glue method I glued the secondary fins on to the main fins.

a6.jpg

a9.jpg

Great design Jim. I think the instructions are really well done and should help newcomers ease into more advanced builds. I'll have it at one of the CMASS spring launches.

I made a small amount of progress this morning, the motor mount is in. One question Jim, I assume the rocket is meant to "stand" on the fins? I must have messed some thing up because it looks like my motor hook will stick down just a bit to far. I will see what happens today when I attach the fins.

I'm not sure how I will finish it, colors etc. I'll go back to sanding sealer. I have been using balsa filler on the last few rockets with mixed results.

As I look at the photos, I think I might be able to win the messiest work area contest!

a1.jpg

If you look at the profile of the Avalear (attached) you will see that the engine hook protrudes 1/4" AND that the fins have a 1/4" tail on them that rides below the body tube.

So, yes, the rocket is designed to sit on its fins AND the motor hook *should* stick out 1/4" :)

jim

NOTE: For some reason the forum is taking my 600 X 700 pixel image and reducing it to a thumbnail size. I have no idea why...

avalear2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

I mounted the fins, motor hook extends down about 1/16 in too low. It will sit on the fins but has a very slight tilt/wobble. No big deal it will fly fine!

I have 2 coats of sealer on the nosecone, the fins are drying. Next is the parachute. The instructions say cut to the 12in size, and I think that will be fine as this is not a big rocket. 9in would probably be ok also. No decals so I should have this wrapped up soon then I can get on to my EMK5-124-413-70, 5 engine cluster mount, the real reason I made my Fliskits order last week. I've never built a cluster before so this should be interesting.

a1.jpg

No new photos, but I have 3 coats of sanding sealer on nosecone. It looks nice so far. I got 1 coat on the fins. Hope to get another 2 coats on tonight, then a coat of primer tomorrow. I've got to decide on a color soon.

Finished sealing and priming. Guess I have to pick a color for final paint.

Time to build the parachute.

nekid.jpg

a-prm.jpg

Thanks Jim,

It's a poster of the Apollo 8 photo I picked up at Kennedy a few years ago. I think it's a fitting background.

I put a coat of paint on my Avaear.

Solid blue won out. I almost went with yellow but My Gyroc and Mars Snooper clones are both yellow.

I used auto primer for the base. Let it dry for 2 1/2 days then put the top coat on. Krylon. It covered nice except on the left bottom main fin, inboard of the small fin. It bubbled up bad. I sanded and repainted and it did the same thing just not as bad. Sanded again, re painted again and this time just a small bubble. I let it dry for 3 days, pushed the bubble down hard and now it is good.

Oh ya, it's sitting next to it's "special" cousin.

s.jpg

ga,a.jpg

Mark I justread the whole thread and a couple of things struck me. The first is the fins you cut out from template were really well done:) I am sure I am the reason laser cut fins were invented lol The second is the style of the avalear reminds me of chesley bonestell art work. It has that neat retro scifi feel that is hard to achieve. Great kit and good job on what you are doing :)
Cheers
Fred

Mark I justread the whole thread and a couple of things struck me. The first is the fins you cut out from template were really well done:) I am sure I am the reason laser cut fins were invented lol The second is the style of the avalear reminds me of chesley bonestell art work. It has that neat retro scifi feel that is hard to achieve. Great kit and good job on what you are doing :)
Cheers
Fred

An important aspect of the Avalear to know is that its main goal is to teach the art of cutting fins. It has a similar fin jig as that provided with the Triskelion but we have the builder cut the fins. They are simple shapes and will help the beginner learn the art :)

And, as you point out, it does have that nice retro look :)

Thanks Fred. I like cutting fins. While laser cut is very convenient, Tracing and cutting the balsa is something a rocketeer (sp?) should learn. That is why I like this kit so much. It is a great 2nd or 3rd kit and eases one into the next step of rocketry. Jim's outstanding instructions help that out very nicely. I can't imagine this rocket not flying great. I agree, the design is very Bonestell like.

I thought of giving it a multi color paint scheme, but solid just seemed the way to go.

An important aspect of the Avalear to know is that its main goal is to teach the art of cutting fins. It has a similar fin jig as that provided with the Triskelion but we have the builder cut the fins. They are simple shapes and will help the beginner learn the art :)

And, as you point out, it does have that nice retro look :)
Maybe I will buy one :) My wood usually looks like I chewed the part out and lets all avoid the canadian beaver jokes shall we lol :p
Cheers
Fred

Back