Fliskits Anniversary Launch with CMASS 17 Sept 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's that wonderful time of year again - the Fliskits Anniversary Launch. The festivities will include prize drawings, awards for most Fliskits launched, new Fliskits rocket kits and maybe a few prototypes. Oh, and there will be CAKE, too. :cool2:

We need to hope the extreme drought Amesbury is experiencing now will be broken by then. If you're a CMASS member, please think about signing up for one of the volunteer opportunities (see forum thread on CMASS website). All of the usual parking, NAR and weather related restrictions will be in play.

In addition to all the fine products available from Fliskits, Jason will be covering the AMWProX supplies including replacement delay grains for CTI 38 mm reloads; if you haven't had yours checked out yet, bring them along. If you want/need anything specific from Jim or Jason, please contact them ahead of time to be sure they bring it along.

Bring along your Fliskits models whether you plan on flying them or not. It's a great time to show off.

Working to get everything ready for the FlisKits 14th anniversary launch as well as our month long celebration (visit our web site for details about contests, free shipping and more!)

This years theme is GRAND! Grandkids and grandparents! So, if you have grandkids, bring'em! If you have grandparents, BRING'EM!

Finished designing the CAKE. Will submit that early next week and will update the site (and here) as we get closer!

14 years...

....who'da'thunk it?

Last year's was my first club launch. This year, I'm more prepared - I've got my canopy and chairs on the way, and the table arrived today.

More important, I've got the rocket built I hope to do my L1 with.

Gonna see if I can get that Tres I bought from Jim built by then, but I'm so fussy with my finishes, it probably won't be. Still, I've got a ton of stuff to launch, and hope to take a turn at the LCO table.

Also, my girlfriend will be launching her first one. I built it, but "for her," and I'm making her fill out the flight card (since it's named for her nephew).

More important, I've got the rocket built I hope to do my L1 with.

Good luck! I hope I can be there to see it (but that may depend on my kids' soccer schedule). I was there last year too. Let's hope it isn't as windy this year.

Last edited:
I was there last year too. Let's hope it isn't as windy this year.

I'll use this opening to remind everyone about our wind-related restrictions due to an incident at last year's launch. National Grid is very concerned about us keeping rockets off of the high tension wires that run along the western edge of the farm and over the "swamp". If the wind is blowing out of the eastern quadrant toward the wires, we cannot allow the launch of HPR. LPR and MPR will be restricted to 1000-feet or less.

On balance, it's better to have a disappointing day or few hours than to lose the use of the field entirely until the Seabrook power station is decommissioned.

Let's hope for good wind. I'm hoping to launch the "King" that day.

Funny thing is I don't even have a lot of MPR that stays under 1,000'. I target everything for 1,300' to 1,700'.

Congratulations to Robert Booth, the first of our Friday raffle drawing winners! He wins his choice of kit from our web site!

Visit FlisKits.com to see how you can win too . No purchase necessary!

Cake is ordered and I will pick it up Friday afternoon. Launch is less than a week away!

Ken, any word on the drought / field situation? Are we good to fly this weekend?

I've sent a note to the Amesbury Fire Department and expect an answer by Wednesday. I also went out to the field today; with the rain we had come through last night, there is green grass growing (about 3" or so) but there is a lot of crispy thatch under it.

If Woodsom Farm is a NO GO, we've been invited to use the MMMSC field in Berwick, Maine. Keep an eye on this thread and the website for the latest updates.

I'm planning on doing my L1 cert this weekend. I've got a couple people who are willing to witness me, and I've got my paperwork printed out. Also, you know, the rocket and the motor and such.

Do I need to make any other arrangements?

I'm planning on doing my L1 cert this weekend. I've got a couple people who are willing to witness me, and I've got my paperwork printed out. Also, you know, the rocket and the motor and such.

Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. See you in Berwick. Oh, yeah, the launch is moving to Berwick (see the post after the next post).

Last edited:

Good luck! Wish I could be there to see it.

Due to ongoing drought conditions, the Amesbury Fire Department has prohibited our use of Woodsom Farm Park this weekend.

Our friends at MMMSC have invited us to use their field in Berwick. The waiver for that field will be in force so you can plan on flying higher within the bounds of common sense and the weather conditions.

Jason will be on site so contact him if you all of a sudden need a larger motor.

The main event will still be the Fliskits Anniversary Launch. Bring you Fliskits rockets and your appetite for CAKE.

Due to ongoing drought conditions, the Amesbury Fire Department has prohibited our use of Woodsom Farm Park this weekend.

Our friends at MMMSC have invited us to use their field in Berwick. The waiver for that field will be in force so you can plan on flying higher within the bounds of common sense and the weather conditions.

Jason will be on site so contact him if you all of a sudden need a larger motor.

The main event will still be the Fliskits Anniversary Launch. Bring you Fliskits rockets and your appetite for CAKE.

I consider this good news/bad news. Bad for the slightly longer drive, but good for the fact that I'll finally get up to the Maine launch site.

Guess I can fly that D in the Goblin after all!

Dan, this is the Leviathan build, right?

Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. See you in Berwick. Oh, yeah, the launch is moving to Berwick (see the post after the next post).

I'm also planning to do my L1 cert, and have everything Dan mentioned except people lined up. From other launches it seems like there are typically at least a few folks around who would be willing to witness for me. Does that sound right, or should I be making some phone calls today?

Thanks for the info Kenn! This will be my first time to that launch site. Anything special I need to know regarding the field, parking or other owner quirks? I've looked at the website for directions or specific info, but didn't see anything other than the address. (It's blocked here at work, and I'm looking on my phone, so I may have missed something.)

We expect a great turn out and a whole lotta fun in Berwick for the FlisKits 14th anniversary! Weather looks incredible and the cake is always good!

See you all there!

There will be plenty of potential cert witnesses hanging around,.. and always remembering how you got your cert on the rare Fliskits/Berwick Anniversary launch perfect storm is priceless! We are bringing our fleet of racing Deuces Wilds,.. a Tres and Richtor Recker to drag race for pink slips (wink MALBAR70). We are hoping for little if any winds and extra frosting.

I'm also planning to do my L1 cert, and have everything Dan mentioned except people lined up. From other launches it seems like there are typically at least a few folks around who would be willing to witness for me. Does that sound right, or should I be making some phone calls today?
As Parrythewind says, there will be lots of people who can witness your L1 cert flight. Check with any of the club officers and we can set you up with someone.

Thanks for the info Kenn! This will be my first time to that launch site. Anything special I need to know regarding the field, parking or other owner quirks? I've looked at the website for directions or specific info, but didn't see anything other than the address. (It's blocked here at work, and I'm looking on my phone, so I may have missed something.)
Thanks for asking. This is an active sod farm and their product is all over the place. There are a number of roadways radiating out from the hub of the center pivot irrigation system and a perimeter roadway at the outer edge of most of the field. From the Hubbard Road entrance, drive straight to the center hub and you'll see which arm to drive down from there. People will be there to direct the parking; if it's on a harvested area, you can pull all the way off the road at a 90-degree angle to the road. If it's not harvested, parallel park with the tires on one side your vehicle remaining on the road allowing enough room for another vehicle to pass by on the road; you'll want to intrude on the grass as little as possible.

Another requirement is positive motor retention for reload and plastic cased motors. Black powder motors cased in paper should be well retained (hook, heavy friction, taped in, etc.) but can pop out on the field and not recovered without an issue. The metal or plastic cases can be a problem for the mowing and harvesting equipment and we don't want any problems with the farmer.

Is Berwick confirmed for this weekend?

Sorry, Al. I should have been clearer by stating we've accepted the invitation MMMSC offered.

The King will be there. Nothing quite like. 3 X I motor cluster...

Also, does MMMSC have the same policy on HPR staging?

Last edited:
The King will be there. Nothing quite like. 3 X I motor cluster...

Also, does MMMSC have the same policy on HPR staging?

It will still be a CMASS but we can talk about your staging. Tell me success stories and safety assurances and you can join the ranks of those who have flown HPR staging in Berwick.

There will be plenty of potential cert witnesses hanging around,.. and always remembering how you got your cert on the rare Fliskits/Berwick Anniversary launch perfect storm is priceless! We are bringing our fleet of racing Deuces Wilds,.. a Tres and Richtor Recker to drag race for pink slips (wink MALBAR70). We are hoping for little if any winds and extra frosting.

Oh, It's On!!

Is the parking situation similar to Amesbury, or do we park near the launch site? This will be my first trip up there.

The Fliskits launch is always one of my favorites every year. Happy to see its up in Berwick. Can't wait to see you all there

For those of you who will be going to Berwick for the first time, the only thing you need to bring is a beach chair, some sun glasses, and a cooler full of your favorite non-alcoholic beverage. Nothing like acres and acres of perfectly manicured lawn to fly rockets on.

As for me, my Deuces Wild is packed, and I will be avoiding those pesky fruits and vegetables for the next 24 hours to make room for more cake.

Back