FlisKits: Alien8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We're **so** close :D

I am finishing up the instructions tonight, the cover art tomorrow along with the fin pattern sheets. custom parts have been ordered and I hope to have a status on them in the next couple of days.

I expect to order all the documentation early next week (monday perhaps). The decals are in (look good too)

I finally got mine built! I waited to build mine as we (FlisKits) made some minor changes to the design that we wanted to get approval from Shrox on before implementing. Once that was done, I was able to build a FlisKits Alien8 by Shrox and use the build to verify the instructions and figures.

I brought her to CMASS the other day, but it was just too darned windy, plus I didn't have the decals on yet. IN any event, here are some pix of her, all dressed up :)

First is a rear view:

Next is a front view, looking top down across the body tube. SHe is definitely sharp looking and will make a fine addition to our fleet :)

Lastly, here is a close up of the tail section showing the decals. The color on the green is washed out by the bright sunlight.

It is really a beautiful model. I painted this a garnet pearl metal-flake. The decals worked very well and I really like them. I may do some repainting, adding another tone to the upper part of this rocket.

very cool :)

I seem to recall the original Alien 8 having that neon "alien green" for the decals (or was that just a paint scheme from Shrox?). Are you thinking of offering that in the future?

Well, the decals on the lower fins *are* green... they just didn't come out well in the photo...

All decals were sent to Shrox for approval. We matched the colors as close as possible. I've attached a GIF of one of those lower decals so you can see its actual color.

I will try to get some better pix later on.

The Alien 8 looks great! Do the ping pong balls come with the required holes pre-cut?

It looks great Jim. I've been waiting on this one:D

Any other Shrox designs being considered by FlisKits?

How is Shrox doing?

John

Originally posted by grog
The Alien 8 looks great! Do the ping pong balls come with the required holes pre-cut?

"Do the ping pong balls come with the required holes pre-cut?"...???

yer new here, ain't'cha?? :) :D :) (just teasing :) welcome to TRF!)

At FlisKits (with *very* rare exceptions) don't do *any* of the pre-requisite building. If something needs to be cut *you* get to cut it :) One of the issues folks have had with this kit is the cutting of the PPB. I think we've come up with a way to make it easier.

You use a body tube to trace the one outline on the ball. Then you cut that out (not hard, really). After sanding to remove burrs, you slide a body tube through the hole and into the ball. You will be able to see a faint outline of the end of the tube through the other end of the ball. This acts as a guide to place another body tube over this outline for tracing.

It worked out very well and is quite easy :)

jim

Originally posted by OKTurbo
It looks great Jim. I've been waiting on this one:D

Any other Shrox designs being considered by FlisKits?

How is Shrox doing?

John

I have invited Shrox to send me 3 other kits for consideration. I would like to have another out by NARCON, but it really depends on how well the Alien8 does in sales.

Shrox is doing well. He has had some rough moments in his life but seems to be holding his own. I won't go into any details as that wouldn't be proper. Just know that he is the type of guy who can pull himself up by the bootstraps when needed :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis

You use a body tube to trace the one outline on the ball. Then you cut that out (not hard, really). After sanding to remove burrs, you slide a body tube through the hole and into the ball. You will be able to see a faint outline of the end of the tube through the other end of the ball. This acts as a guide to place another body tube over this outline for tracing.

jim

Thanks for the info. I built a Shrox Hyperion and used pretty much the same
technique to cut the holes in the PPBs. The Hyperion would be a good kit to bring back via Flis Kits if the Alien 8 does well. I've attached a photo of my Hyperion for those that may not have seen one.

yer new here, ain't'cha?? :) :D :) (just teasing :) welcome to TRF!)

At FlisKits (with *very* rare exceptions) don't do *any* of the pre-requisite building. If something needs to be cut *you* get to cut it :) One of the issues folks have had with this kit is the cutting of the PPB. I think we've come up with a way to make it easier.

jim

I bet with a well placed light bulb or flashlight it would be a snap;)

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I bet with a well placed light bulb or flashlight it would be a snap;)

that was my thought :D

(with drool running down chin) wheres mine?????:D

I love Shrox rockets the more the better. That guy really has an eye for inovative design. I am glad to hear that he is well.

Scott

Originally posted by grog
Thanks for the info. I built a Shrox Hyperion and used pretty much the same
technique to cut the holes in the PPBs. The Hyperion would be a good kit to bring back via Flis Kits if the Alien 8 does well. I've attached a photo of my Hyperion for those that may not have seen one.

I got that idea from John at CMASS. He had built one and used that technique so I incorporated it into the instructions.

jim

The material for the Alien8 is enroute (with one small exception which should be in next week)

The documentation is complete and has been received.

We've put a pre-announcement ad up on our site

so, it won't be long now... :)

I know this is way late. In my earlier conversations with Shrox, my intent was to have this ready for our anniversary celebration to announce with the Triskelion. Just couldn't make it happen.

There's a lot that goes into a kit release and we had made some changes to the design that needed to be verified as functional and we also needed to pass the changes by Shrox for approval.

For those of you who have built a Shrox Alien8, you will have a better understanding of the changes we've made to the FlisKits Alien8 by Shrox:

- Balsa nose cones instead of plastic
- FlisKits plastic parachute instead of nylon (to keep costs down)
- Silk screened, waterslide decals instead of printed decals
- Kevlar shock line to augment the elastic cord instead of just an elastic cord
- A fin jig to provide proper alignment of the angled fins
- A new method of cutting the ping pong balls (described above)
- Repositioning of the ping pong balls so that the upper most one covers the seam between body tubes.

I think that's about it. She looks sharp, that's for sure. We expect her to be a good, productive member of our fleet.

I've attached a graphic of the kit as it appears on the cover art. The next reply shows another.

coming down to the wire! :)
jim

It looks great Jim....and Shrox...

A definate "must have" kit.

I just looked at your website 'coming soon' announcement. "First in a series of FlisKits model rockets by Shrox". You know you can't just put that up there for all of us to see without giving us a little clue as to what is in the pipeline for the next Flis/Shrox creation.

You big tease!:D

Frankly, we don't *have* a pipeline yet for the Shrox kits.

I am still waiting for Shrox (hint, hint, nudge, nudge :) ) to send me data on 3-4 of his other designs for me to review and decide on. Also, the size of this line is strongly dependant on how well it does, so order early, order often :)

jim

It's one of the ones I would like to see "on the table", as it were :)

Can you set me up with a cheap apartment and a hot grrlfriend? I'll move out there...

order early, order often :)

jim

I can't find the pre-order button! DON"T MAKE ME WAIT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY UNTIL THE KITS ARE READY! :eek:
I MUST KNOW I HAVE AN ALIEN 8 IN RESERVE!
:D :D :D

Originally posted by shrox
Can you set me up with a cheap apartment and a hot grrlfriend? I'll move out there...

Would you consider a hot apartment and a cheap girlfriend?
Just curious...
;)

Originally posted by nomopbo
I can't find the pre-order button! DON"T MAKE ME WAIT TO GIVE YOU MY MONEY UNTIL THE KITS ARE READY! :eek:
I MUST KNOW I HAVE AN ALIEN 8 IN RESERVE!
:D :D :D

:D

As soon as I get feedback on the last component and have a confirm of its ship date I will put the Alien8 up for pre-orders.

keep watch :)

Back