Flis kits Borealis

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me, I am in the middle of building a lot more rockets :D

I really do think ply would be sufficient though. I might reinforce the rings a bit as well (1 wrap of thin glass), but strengthening the fins would go a long way towards allowing it to fly on a D13.

Believe me, I am in the middle of building a lot more rockets :D

I really do think ply would be sufficient though. I might reinforce the rings a bit as well (1 wrap of thin glass), but strengthening the fins would go a long way towards allowing it to fly on a D13.

interesting. I'll look into it...
jim

Jim,

I am nearly finished building my Borealis. I bought one for a friend last Christmas and I warned him to take care on steps 21 and 22. Step 21 has the assembler gluing the upper tubes into the motor mount assembly. Part of step 22 says "... while the glue is still pliablel..."

If you stopped at Step 21 you could have serious problems. You may want to make a slight modification to your Borealis instructions informing the modeler that certain steps must be completed together.

Construction procedure used by Jim Flis:
1. Read the instructions.
2. Read'em again.
3. Take your time
4. Make sure you have all the tools you need
5. Read the instructions again
6. Then begin

How I usually do it:
1. Rip package open
2. Dump contents onto the floor
3. Throw instructions aside
4. Pick up several parts and go “Cool!”
5. Randomly test fit lots of parts – many of which do not actually go together
6. Find instructions
7. Look at part list to compare to package contents
8. Notice nose cone is missing
9. Swear
10. Go find cat
11. Take nose cone away from cat
12. Swear at all the holes the cat has chewed in the nose one
13. Get wood filler and fill in teeth holes in nose cone
14. Resume matching parts list to package contents
15. Notice shock cord is missing
16. Go find the other cat
17. Take shock cord away from cat
18. Find glue
19. Start gluing parts together
20. Wonder why parts don’t fit together properly
21. Find instructions
22. Wipe off the hairball the cat coughed up on the instructions
23. Realize you didn’t accomplish steps 2-7, 16 and 23 now that you are on step 37
24. Rip apart half the stuff already glued together
25. Swipe at least three parts from another un-built kit to replace the stuff damaged ripping it apart
26. Follow instructions and glue things in proper order
27. Paint rocket
28. Get mad at cat for rubbing against rocket and almost knocking it over
29. Put rocket in on high shelf so cats can’t rub against it
30. On launch day reach up and grab rocket snapping fin off as you take it down from shelf

Sounds just about right, except its a dog not a cat

Jim,

I am nearly finished building my Borealis. I bought one for a friend last Christmas and I warned him to take care on steps 21 and 22. Step 21 has the assembler gluing the upper tubes into the motor mount assembly. Part of step 22 says "... while the glue is still pliablel..."

If you stopped at Step 21 you could have serious problems. You may want to make a slight modification to your Borealis instructions informing the modeler that certain steps must be completed together.

Good point. I will make note of this for the next update.

Thanks!
jim

I love my Borealis, I amazing at how easily it goes together. The hardest part for me was making sure the launch lugs lined up(still a bit tight) That and painting of course.

I flew my Borealis for the first time this morning. Absolutely awesome flight on a B6-2. It flies a lot better than I expected. I flew it nekid, so now I need to come up with a good paint scheme.

The Borealis is one of those kits that just looks SO cool in the air.

I love the view looking up under it as it boosts into the sky :)

The Borealis is one of those kits that just looks SO cool in the air.

I love the view looking up under it as it boosts into the sky :)

Excelllent point. It did look cool watching it rise straight up and looking through the circular fins. I'll need to get some photos next time.

Back