FlightSketch Products for 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, I thought I was the first.
Dang. šŸ˜
Sorry 'bout that. You may well be the first to do it in Hawaii, though.

There are no A or B Division records set for 1/8A Altitude with altimeter, and the Pod Bay Doors team, which holds the D division record, is based somewhat east of me.

Maybe you can find a willing A-division (Up to 14 years old) or B-division (15-22) co-conspiritor and establish either or both of those records....

I'm taking my LPR kits to the Salt Flats this week! Whoot! Whoot! I'm unsure how fast the LPR pads will be?

Is it good practice/advised to turn the FS Mini off after downloading and uploading data after each flight? It may be 30 minutes+ in between launches? The altimeter will go in 3 different rockets.

Thank you

I've done it both ways. Sometimes when I go out to fly I'll leave one turned on for literally hours, and sometimes I'm more conservative with the cell. It will run for many many hours on a fresh one. I worry more about running the battery down in my phone during a given flying session, actually.

There is a four-hour timeout if it's not connected and not flown within four hours, but hopefully it won't be that slow.

I do keep spare cells for all the tiny altimeters in my field box.

That's what I was wondering - thank you. I'll probably fly the same rocket on all motors I want, then switch the Mini out to another rocket - powering down in between rockets. I do have 5 spare batteries.
You will be fine.

Perhaps watch the voltage on the app display perhaps at the end of the day. It will fluctuate as the altimeter does various things...but if it doesn't threaten to drop well below 2.5V don't worry about it. If it does, swap a spare in for the next day.

I 3d printed the case from thingiverse.

There is a STL file earlier in this thread that I used to print the case.

There are also cases online - ie Dino Chutes Pouch

I will bring a few extra to LDRS 39a.

Iā€™d like to see what you did as wellā€¦.Iā€™ve been really leery of trying to fly a Comp outside of a dedicated compartment, even though there is a tether point on it.

One masking tape wrap around the battery, then doubled up by wrapping the battery to the board. As you can see in post 236, the data curve was choppy. This is probably due to no vents and no pouch. The tape may have occluded the pressure sensor, IDK. Next time I'll put it all in a pouch. And launch in a rocket with vent holes.

The downward spike in the altitude data is the ejection charge pressurizing where the altimeter is (higher pressure, lower altitude). The rest is the kind of noise you get when the altimeter is out in the breeze and flopping around. Youā€™re not going to block the pressure sensor completely unless you manage to directly cover the tiny hole on the pressure sensor itself.

You posted the flight twice to the online logā€¦.but with no description or other data.

Hereā€™s the online version, with the acceleration trace squeezed to line up with the barometric trace. You can see the big acceleration spike from the ejection charge and that it limes up with the dip in the altitude trace.
C9FD27B6-0733-492A-8E1E-AFC0B6397E10.jpeg

Even here itā€™s clear the delay isnā€™t long enough. I have no idea how Steve Krystal got one to over twice this high to set that 1/8A NAR record. I guess Iā€™m just going to have to ask him.

The downward spike in the altitude data is the ejection charge pressurizing where the altimeter is (higher pressure, lower altitude). The rest is the kind of noise you get when the altimeter is out in the breeze and flopping around. Youā€™re not going to block the pressure sensor completely unless you manage to directly cover the tiny hole on the pressure sensor itself.

You posted the flight twice to the online logā€¦.but with no description or other data.

Hereā€™s the online version, with the acceleration trace squeezed to line up with the barometric trace. You can see the big acceleration spike from the ejection charge and that it limes up with the dip in the altitude trace.View attachment 479799

Even here itā€™s clear the delay isnā€™t long enough. I have no idea how Steve Krystal got one to over twice this high to set that 1/8A NAR record. I guess Iā€™m just going to have to ask him.
All I know is that the altimeter pouch your wife made survived the E12-6 Cato. Tell her good job...

https://flightsketch.com/flights/2730/
Screenshot 2021-08-29 200812.png

Would dearly love to test the SST and Sport in my Mach1Rocketry Red Shift in the first launch of our season here in NZ in October- think thatā€™s when I might have it completed

Any ideas what is up with this data...
https://flightsketch.com/flights/2868/
Armed altimiter, put igniter in, walked back to pad; launched a few minutes later. Was beautiful flight, up, motor eject at apogee, with JLCR at 500ft nice slow landing.
But the graphs look really strange. I can't look at the *.CSV file till monday night.
Here is flight video;

I looked at the .csv (I sometimes just like to look at interesting logs on the web site for flights other than my own). I canā€™t make much more sense from those data that I can from the plots on flightsketch.com/flights. I sent Russ an email alerting him to that one, but heā€™s been pretty quiet of late so I donā€™t have any sense of when he might look at it or whether he can figure out what happened or not.

Where in your rocket was the FS Mini?

THANKS FOR LOOKING.

It was in main body tube tethered right to the loop at the transition. (Separation point.) There are (3) 1/16" vent holes right under the shoulder of the transition so pressure should have been good. It's a slow draggy flight.
Its motor eject with a piston. So when the ejection charge goes there should be a big surge. But not too bad, I didn't have the shear pins in so it separated easily.

Do you think the 875ft is correct? The Time to Burnout and Time to Apogee might be correct and the Max Speed, ADR, and TFT are off.

That's the most interesting data graph I've ever seen. Looks more like Mozart...

1632102518858.png

875 is not out ofthe realm of possibility, SIM was for 1215'.
Those graphs are unlike anything I saw before...
There are several duplicated sets of data in the .csv file, almost all with big negative time values. I suggested to Russ in my email that it looks like the FS Mini just lost its mindā€¦and thatā€™s really the best way I can describe itā€¦.somehow the data are severely corrupted/overwritten/duplicated/scrambled.

I knew as soon as I clicked on the flightā€˜s page the first time that something was wrong because it took some time to render that crazy graph. Thatā€™s never a good sign.

I was hoping somewhere in that duplicated data a copy of the real info would appear, but the section that has reasonable time stamps basically has the altitude fixed at ~875 feet.

I agree with @rklapp that this is the craziest looking set of FS Mini data Iā€™ve seen posted. The acceleration data donā€™t make any more sense.

The flight certainly looked pretty straightforward in the video.

I would have put the altimeter in the upper section (or is it set up for dual deployment later?) rather than below with the parachute and such but I canā€™t come up with any scenario where the data in the .csv file could have been generated by real flight events. All the duplication just makes me think, as I said, that the FS Miniā€™s little brain is scrambled (or was then).

875 is not out ofthe realm of possibility, SIM was for 1215'.
Those graphs are unlike anything I saw before...
Have you tried a suction test, cup the altimeter in your hands and suck the air out? If the data comes out somewhat reasonable, then chalk the flight up to dirty electrons in the circuitry. A q-tip wipe with alcohol might help.

Here's my suction test. https://flightsketch.com/flights/2869/

I would also pull the ā€batteryā€ tray out so the unitā€™s power is completely turned off (it is actually a little bit active all the time, even when ā€œoffā€) to clear its little mind. Of course the crazy data will still be in it until you arm it for launch again.

Pulled the Flightsketch from this flight this morning and have it on my desk. This unit worked fine last time I used it about 3 weeks ago.
All seems ok... Battery voltage is 2.75-2.87, so that should be ok. Opened the Dino-chutes protector that it is in. No debris, contamination, or visible damage; to protector, or Flightsketch inside it.

App version is 3.0.7, and device firmware is 29... All up to date. Pulled the Battery and left sit for 1 min. Then re-installed battery.

I downloaded the data file again just to check before clearing it for "testing". It did take a VERY LONG time to download the file (like 30+min), so it seems like it is a very large file compared to normal. Signal was about -55 to -76dB, and battery was 2.79 while down loading. Data matched what was shown yesterday.

Pulled battery again for 1 min. Then installed, and did the hand held suction test that rklapp suggested.... Plot looked ok, with one exception all of the time stamps are negative... ending 5sec before zero... So, I used a 2nd unit and did the suction test again, and Plot looks similar, but the timestamps are all positive, starting at zero. I posted data from both tests, maybe you can let me know thoughts... Did this unit just loose its brains, for some unknown reason? ( As BEC says.) Any way to "reset" the unit. (reload firmware, etc. to try to get it going, or .... )

Suspect unit hand test: https://flightsketch.com/flights/2870/
Different unit hand test: https://flightsketch.com/flights/2871/

Thanks for your ideas.
Mike

Back