Flightsketch mini questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@BEC explained it well. Since the chip is oriented 45 degrees off axis you will get a higher peak reading by sharing the X & Y sensors. When it’s flat, you’re only using the z axis so you get a lower limit. Still, it’s a 16g chip. If you never exceed that it doesn’t matter how it’s oriented. The other direction will let it sense a little higher up to ~22g. Worst case it will under estimate your max speed if it saturates. The apogee reported will still be as accurate as normal. Good luck with it!

I lost one mini and had one smack the concrete. FS invoiced me for $20 each and mailing me replacements. When I bought the minis, they were out of pouches but are now restocked. I now have 2 pouches on order. In the meantime, I like the BT-20 idea. I made 2 holes on top with a Kevlar sting loop. Should protect it from concrete and sun. FS told me the sensor is sensitive to sunlight, and we have lots of that here which causes huge spikes on the decent. I plan to test it tomorrow with my 3rd mini, but we have high winds so A/B motors only.

Still, it’s a 16g chip. If you never exceed that it doesn’t matter how it’s oriented.
I'll be flying E12-6s in a single-engine Patriot, and E12-8s in a three-engine scratch-built. Both pull around 20Gs in OR. (The cluster was designed for three E9-8s (10Gs), but I've learned over the last few days that that engine can be a rocket killer.)

Anyway, my plan now is to put the Mini in a pouch and tuck it vertically inside the Nomex blanket next to the parachute, both of which sit on top of an ejection baffle, so the load won't be shifting under acceleration. As mentioned in my earlier comment, the nose cone will already be out of the way by the time the Mini is free of the blanket.

Thanks for the clarification. With your help, and BEC's, my learning curve is not so steep. In my previous life (before retirement), I was an IT guy specializing in Mac hardware and software. But chip technology is way over my head :)

Last edited:
Thanks Zeke! I have broken 2 FS Minis while flying 18mm rockets. Without protection, those little fellas don’t take much abuse. The DinoChute pouches won’t fit the small tubes.
Thanks for measuring and checking for me!

Thanks Zeke! I have broken 2 FS Minis while flying 18mm rockets. Without protection, those little fellas don’t take much abuse. The DinoChute pouches won’t fit the small tubes.
Thanks for measuring and checking for me!
I can affirm that as well. I bought one of the first units he put out (when they were $18) with the thin orange cloth case he provided. One it's first flight the the rocket lawn darted and the switch just sheared off. I have a new one and purchase the Dinochutes pouch, but seeing the Badass printed case, I'm going to buy it (or I might design and print my own). The FS mini is so easy to move between birds you really don't need more than one, unless it's not well protected!

I can affirm that as well. I bought one of the first units he put out (when they were $18) with the thin orange cloth case he provided. One it's first flight the the rocket lawn darted and the switch just sheared off. I have a new one and purchase the Dinochutes pouch, but seeing the Badass printed case, I'm going to buy it (or I might design and print my own). The FS mini is so easy to move between birds you really don't need more than one, unless it's not well protected!
Or lose one...or two in rocket eating trees!

Ah, that's what long poles are for! There are plans somewhere here on TRF for making your own. One of my clubs has an electrician's lineman's pole. $$$, but goes really high. Also good for fishing rockets out of creeks (don't ask me how I know).

Did you ever ask Russ for replacements?

https://flightsketch.com/store/policy/
No, after reading his policy, I couldn’t in good conscience ask. I didn’t meet the criteria. Landing on the hard rocky terrain doesn’t help either, LOL. It’s ok though, I got my new minis in the mail and will be flying them tomorrow. I’m gonna wrap them in wadding with tiny rubber bands. Hope it acts as a little padding.

I eventually bought the pouches. Until they arrived, I made a pouch out of a BT-20 tube and string loop through two holes. It still has sunshine peaks but did protect it the one time I used it.

No, after reading his policy, I couldn’t in good conscience ask. I didn’t meet the criteria. Landing on the hard rocky terrain doesn’t help either, LOL. It’s ok though, I got my new minis in the mail and will be flying them tomorrow.

We still offer a credit for lost/damaged units outside of the warranty. Send me some details and we'll get you a credit.

Russ

Russ,

I will send you an email through your website. Thank you for stepping in and making this offer.

Take care and God bless!
Kevin

Latest posts

Back