Flight of the Sparrow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean B

Reaction score
So I finally got my Starlight Sparrow trimmed to fly. It took a lot of adhesive-backed lead strips under the nose, probably due to all the paint. I went out this morning and tried my first glider flight.

Sparrow resized.jpg

I inserted a 1/2A6-2 and hit the launch button. The little flying wing boosted in a wide corkscrew of maybe 270 degrees to a couple of hundred feet. Unfortunately, it ejected right in the sun, so I couldn't see a darn thing. After loosing sight of it for a while, I picked it up actually gliding downwind, maybe 100 yards or so. Recovered with no damage.

This was a new rocket experience for me. Not only was the glide a little unpredictable, but the boost was, too. Now I hope to build some more gliders and hone my skills a little (or a lot).

You're right - the motor ejects allowing the rocket to glide. It's a kit made by Starlight Rockets. I believe that Starlight has stopped production of new kits, but some online retailers that still have them in stock. I really liked the look of this glider and it was pretty simple to build. I opted to not use the decals supplied with the kit and used some USAF decals from a model airplane sheet.

Last edited:
Very nice! Can you get any photos or videos of it in action?

Back