Flight Log Statistics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
I've been working on our Flight Profiles page and have added some features:

1) Toggle for showing RIP rockets or Not
2) Prettier Bars in the Graphs
3) Summary Statistics (see sample below of mine)

So, what else would you folks be interested in seeing. (NOTE: I am thinking about allowing a way to allow you to edit your own flight logs from this page... in the meantime e-mail me with any corrections)

Your Flight Profile Summary

Recorded Flights: 776 (7.3% of all flights logged on EMRR)
Recorded Rockets: 132 (59 Active - 72 "Rest In Peace" (RIP))
Average Flights: 5.9 Flights/Rocket (5.4 Flights/RIP'd Rocket)
Average Power (N): 34.8 Newtons/Flight (This makes you a E-Class Rocketeer)
Favorite Motor Class: "C" (165 Motors - 21.3% of your flights)
Favorite Motor ID: Est SU 1/4A3-3 (76 in 13 Rockets - 9.8% of your flights)
Most Flown Rocket: Nordic Rocketry - Meanie (52 Flights - 6.7% of your flights)

Thanks,
Nick

A log-type output would be useful. Something like the logs you show for each rocket review, substituting rocket name for flier name. If you added a date range option, that would be perfect.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
A log-type output would be useful. Something like the logs you show for each rocket review, substituting rocket name for flier name. If you added a date range option, that would be perfect.

Okay, not sure what you mean. You can already e-mail the reports to yourself (see attachment) from within the profile.

You can also SEARCH to get the output the way you described.

But, I don't have it by date range. That wouldn't be terribly hard to add... in the Search? or in the Profile? Help me out.

Regards,
Nick

Hmmm, don't hit PREVIEW after you set the attachment... it removes the attachment... so here it is.

I'm sorry. I had never used Search before, I just used By Rocketeer from the main FlightLog page. That view is what I was trying to describe, but sorted by date instead of model name.

PS. I know I can extract my logs via e-mail and then display them any way I want. I just tend to think of my launches by when I launched them, and thought that would be a useful enhancement to your site.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
PS. I know I can extract my logs via e-mail and then display them any way I want. I just tend to think of my launches by when I launched them, and thought that would be a useful enhancement to your site.

Yes, ya know at one point I considered adding a field for the Launch Name, like NARAM-45, etc. But too much time and too many flight logs....

I'll look at the feature you're requesting. Straightforward stuff since it is just db manipulation.

Nick

Okay, first phase of your request is done.

Go to Flight Logs
Click on by Rocketeer

You can now choose between by Rocket or Launch Date

I will then make the dates selectable to drill down, but out of time for now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick

Okay, 100% functional in the By Rocketeer mode.

I will now start to apply the learning into the Flight Profile page.

Thanks for the suggestion, it allowed me to find a number of little format issues that I fixed at the same time.

Nick

Okay, now from Flight Profiles you can click on the monthly bar to list your flights (based on the code from above).

See attachement.

Done coding for the night!

Nick

Nick,

Can you add a motor to the list? I am unable to add my flight from Feb....... I used a Hytec I205.............

this page shows what I am talking about....... I used a standard "J" grain, 300cc tank and .125 Orifice........

https://www.nowhybrids.com/J.htm

other than this flight, I have every flight logged this year....... so I am keeping with my new year's resolution.......

I like the changes you have made......... Great site........

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Can you add a motor to the list? I am unable to add my flight from Feb....... I used a Hytec I205.............

I can add motors, but any time you don't see the motor or you have a complex configuration, you can put it in the "Complex/Staged/Other" box instead of picking from the list (see attachment).

Be sure to click on the READ HELP to see the best way to enter these configurations.

Thanks for the kind comments. It is fun to see statistics after you have entered multiple years, so if you have you previous years flights recorded somewhere, we can get them added.

For those that track on XLS or their own database, if you'd like them in EMRR, send me the file and I will add them manually (initially), but I'd ask that you keep them updated.

Thanks,
Nick

Originally posted by EMRR
(NOTE: I am thinking about allowing a way to allow you to edit your own flight logs from this page... in the meantime e-mail me with any corrections)

This would be great. I always feel like an ingrate sending corrections. I love the changes. Any new way to look at this information makes my nights go a little faster. Thanks.

you can put it in the "Complex/Staged/Other" box instead of picking from the list (see attachment).

Nick, I added my I205 flight....... Does the newtons used for this flight get added to my yearly total?

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Nick, I added my I205 flight....... Does the newtons used for this flight get added to my yearly total?

Yep, as an I motor (see attachment). Your I (640) + J (1280) tally up to the 1920.

You may now be thinking: "It would be nice to have a thorough look-up table to get the exact Newtons". Sure it would, but simply put, I didn't do it that way. My goodness, if you could see the algorithm necessary just to parse out the motor entries into something meaningful......

Oh, all right, I'll do it! For instance your J170 is actually only 727n, baby-J.

The results will still read estimate, because, what I'll do is create a "match-exact" table (which is easy for entries using the pull down). If there is not an exact match, then it will use the algorithm to come up with the estimate at the max of the motor class....

Boy, you drive a hard negotiation... The hours I'll spend doing this.... BTW, is this a hobby?

Nick

The hours I'll spend doing this.... BTW, is this a hobby?

It was just a question....... NOT intended to work you to death........

Oh, I don't consider this a hobby.......... It's more of an addiction......:D :D

Nope, having fun.... I thought before I'd do that I'd see what all 10,500 entries profile out to, so check this out:

CLICK HERE

"All Flights" Flight Profile Summary
Recorded Flights: 10,593 (100.0% of all flights logged on EMRR)
Recorded Rockets: 1,573 (1,243 Active - 329 "Rest In Peace" (RIP))
Average Flights: 6.7 Flights/Rocket (13.2 Flights/RIP'd Rocket)
Average Power (N): 96.7 Newtons/Flight (This is a G-Class Rocketeer)
Favorite Motor Class: "C" (2,378 Motors - 22.4% of all flights)
Favorite Motor ID: Est SU B6-4 (1,186 in 293 Rockets - 11.2% of all flights)
Most Flown Rocket: Estes Industries - Fat Boy (167 Flights - 1.6% of all flights)

Sorry, use this link

CLICK HERE

The other one would have taken you into my "pre" version which right now is choked full of debug lines to understand what I have done to categorize motors..... too scary!

Nick

Hey, I did it! 98.3% of all entries on EMRR now are bumped against a motor file to gain accurate newtons. It wasn't as "simple" as I thought initially because of the parsing and motor variations, like 3x Est SU D12-0/Est SU C6-0/Est SU C6-7. It needs sliced, diced, checked for clusters and stages, etc.

But after a bunch of work on the algorithm.... AND a bunch of standardizing older motor records, it is done!

Please be proud with me, by using EMRR for your input and your flight profile.

Regards,
Nick

Please be proud with me, by using EMRR for your input and your flight profile.

I can't speak for everyone, but I am proud of you!!!! Great website....... I was surprised at the number of E's flown....... Come people, we need to fly more E's this year!!!!:D

Aw, shucks (chin to chest looking down, hands crossed in front, swaying a bit, kicking the ground)....

I will be adding two new fields: RIP-type (lost, core sample, lawn dart, scavanged, retired).

Can anyone else think of any others?

Also, a Launch Event Name (like NARAM-45, LDRS-21, etc.)

Someone submitted an idea that I should also create a page where Event Reports can be logged and linked to Flight Logs. Not sure if that will happen, but I'll start with the Flight Logs.

What do you all think?

Nick

Can you add an altitude field?........ A separate field might be easier to read, than reading through the comments section........

Sure, since I'm going to add other fields now, I might as well add the altitude field.

Thanks,
Nick

Okay. Check this out:

You can now enter the following new fields (per your requests):

- Altitude
- Type of RIP
- Event ID

While I was at it, I also added whether the flight was a Certification flight! Cool, huh? See the attachement.

I also spent the time and went through all 10,595 flight logs, grabbed the altimeter readings, classified the RIP's, Events, and whether it was a cert flight.

I did the best I could, so please look over yours and let me know if you need any changes.

Lastly, I incorported the altitude and certs into the flight summary. See mine below (notice my Cert L1 and highest Altitude)

Your Flight Profile Summary

Recorded Flights: 776 (7.3% of all flights logged on EMRR)
Recorded Rockets: 132 (59 Active - 72 "Rest In Peace" (RIP))
Average Flights: 5.9 Flights/Rocket (5.4 Flights/RIP'd Rocket)
Average Power (N): 26.2 Newtons/Flight (This makes you a E-Class Rocketeer)
Level 1 Cert: Public Missiles (PML) - Callisto (AT RMS H128-M)
Highest Altitude: 3900 ft - LOC/Precision - Aura (AT EconoJet F20-7)
Favorite Motor Class: "C" (165 Motors - 21.3% of your flights)
Favorite Motor ID: Est SU 1/4A3-3 (76 in 15 Rockets - 9.8% of your flights)
Most Flown Rocket: Nordic Rocketry - Meanie (52 Flights - 6.7% of your flights)

What's left?

1) On the Flight Logs Search page, create a Certification Flight Search
2) For the By Rocketeer and Date, add the name of the EVENT and allow a sort and search by EVENT
3) In the Flight Profile page, sort the RIP's by RIP type

Then I believe I done with the Flight Log/Profile upgrades for a while.

Thanks,
Nick

There's a couple of motor designations that, AFAIK, are still in production but not listed in the flight log, such as the G104 and the G125.

Also, for motors that are out of production [countless Vulcan and AeroTech single use motors, for instance], can a form blank be provided for Newton-seconds, to keep with the total impulse statistics?

Nick,

I would also like to propose another feature request:

Currently when submitting a new flight log entry, there is the "Confirm entry" button". Clicking on that button enters the new data & then takes you back to the flight log entry screen for that rocket.

Is there anyway that there could be 2 "confirm" buttons--one for the current result & another that confirms but takes you back to the Flight Log (listed by Rocket) screen?

The way it is currently set up makes it easy to enter multiple flights for the same rocket but my proposed method should make it easier to enter multiple logs for DIFFERENT rockets (because I think most people fly multiple rockets in a single day than fly single rockets multiple times in one day.

I love the work that you've done recently as well. Too cool!!

I hear ya, that is why I made this "happy medium":

CLICK HERE

Once you have entered at least one log on one of your rockets, and it is not RIP, it will show up in the "Repeat Users" Entry Form. Here you can enter up to 9 flights for a single day.

My favorite means of entry!

Not exactly what you are asking, but I bet you love it!

Nick

Not exactly what you are asking, but I bet you love it!

You're right, it's not what I was looking for--IT'S BETTER!!! :D :D

Good.

I just got done doing some code clean up to try to make these things a bit faster (short looping verses going through all records, not loading a database unless it was needed, for some examples)

Thanks,
Nick

Back