Flight issues with Q-Jets C18 and D20, looking for advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the Procast has dried it is easy to reconstitute with Acetone.

I started making my own igniters and enhancing AT & Quest igniters with Procast after too many misfires. Never had a failure to ignite motor with Procast and I give these away at launches when someone's igniter burned but motor didn't light.
Hopefully it takes to being reconstituted better than Quik Dip does. I will likely find out. Thanks.

Hopefully it takes to being reconstituted better than Quik Dip does. I will likely find out. Thanks.
I tried reconstituting Quik Dip also and it had the consistency/ same characteristics as wet sand. It was just wet grains with no binder. Good stuff until it dried out.

You can use a mortor and pestle on quickdip, but procast is so much better.

Last edited:
You can use a mortor and pestle on quickdip, but procast is so much better.
I ground it up while dry to a fine powder and then added acetone. I figured that grinding it up to a powder is what screwed it up. Now when dry it's just a dry powder instead of a solid block. Whatever is used as a binder is gone. I have the e-match dip also that reconstitutes just fine. Works excellent for dipping Estes igniters.

I ground it up while dry to a fine powder and then added acetone. I figured that grinding it up to a powder is what screwed it up. Now when dry it's just a dry powder instead of a solid block. Whatever is used as a binder is gone. I have the e-match dip also that reconstitutes just fine. Works excellent for dipping Estes igniters.
I once was able to persuade Dave at Quickburst to send me another packet of binder and I was able to reclaim some QuikDip that had dried out. But I agree, even though I haven't yet made any homemade igniters with it, that ProCast is better.

I once was able to persuade Dave at Quickburst to send me another packet of binder and I was able to reclaim some QuikDip that had dried out. But I agree, even though I haven't yet made any homemade igniters with it, that ProCast is better.
I've had some issues with ProCast crumbling if the igniter is mishandled, especially if it was dipped a long time ago. So now I paint on a light coat of clear fingernail polish to secure it. Works very well. Most recently I fired both a D22 and an E26 with no chuffs at all.

The Sally Hansen (no relation) Hard As Nails seems to be the closest thing to nitrocellulose of what was in the department store. I suspect Duco cement would work just as well, but the fingernail polish comes with a brush!

Hans.

Was cleaning out the rocket box and found 1 of the qjets. Upon closer inspection, there was a bit of deformation at the clay nozzle. Not a ton, but enough to be noticeable.

Back