Flight issues with Q-Jets C18 and D20, looking for advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had two D20-6W motor issues and the code is 112020-01, so heads up for anyone else that has those. MESS Reports filed at motorcato.org

Bummer... I've bought 8 of those, same lot #. 1 weird flight with an Estes Interceptor, but no damage. 2 flights with another rocket, both fine. Still have 5 engines left, not sure what to do with them. I've had enough issues with Q-jets that I am considering just getting rid of the ones I have and sticking to Estes black powder or Aerotech composites. But that leave a fair gap in flight height/performance, unfortunately.

Yeah, got four D16s sitting here; awaiting a response from Karl to email. Caught the crumbling nozzles before I put the carrot up on three of them. Was loaned three from another club member so I could do the flight (was awesome), so I need to pay him back with some replacements...Then we'll see what I do with the questionable ones....maybe make something "disposable" for them.

All later Q-Jets I've flown have been great and I'll continue using them in the right applications.

Yeah, got four D16s sitting here; awaiting a response from Karl to email. Caught the crumbling nozzles before I put the carrot up on three of them. Was loaned three from another club member so I could do the flight (was awesome), so I need to pay him back with some replacements...Then we'll see what I do with the questionable ones....maybe make something "disposable" for them.

All later Q-Jets I've flown have been great and I'll continue using them in the right applications.

I have flown a significant number of D16-6s, mainly in either my Interceptor, or one other rocket. While I did see frequent veering one way or another with the Interceptor, I attributed it to the rocket not liking that fast of a thrust. The other rocket was a scratchbuild and it loves the D16s, arrow-straight flight up several times. Makes me wonder if the D16s are suspect? I'm going to keep using them until I get a better idea of what is up.

Karl at Aerotech said anything before 8/21 is susceptible.

Any good way to determine if one is getting the "new" clay nozzled engines; I have to buy all of mine online and that's going to be a pain if I have to ask for the new ones everytime.

have to buy all of mine online and that's going to be a pain if I have to ask for the new ones everytime.
I'm wondering if Aerotech/Quest has a listing of bad lot numbers they can share with everyone including vendors who stock/sell them so they can check out the lot numbers and pull the motors from stock if they're susceptible to the manufacturing problems? For now anyway I'm not going to buy anymore of the motors until things get better.

Any good way to determine if one is getting the "new" clay nozzled engines; I have to buy all of mine online and that's going to be a pain if I have to ask for the new ones everytime.
After contacting Aerotech about some defective nozzles, the replacements had nozzles that were black (colored). I don't know if they are doing this routinely.

Of course the motors were too powerful for your rockets, Jim said it perfectly, look at what the recommended motors are for your rocket and if you decide to push your luck with a more powerful motor, accept the results and don’t go wasting Aerotech’s time by filing a report. It’s operator fault, not the motor’s fault.

Of course the motors were too powerful for your rockets, Jim said it perfectly, look at what the recommended motors are for your rocket and if you decide to push your luck with a more powerful motor, accept the results and don’t go wasting Aerotech’s time by filing a report. It’s operator fault, not the motor’s fault.
You’re saying an over powered motor is causing the nozzles to swell and crack???

Anyways, I’m noticing that newer packs include a desiccant pack. Trying to cut down on the humidity attacking the clay I guess.

You’re saying an over powered motor is causing the nozzles to swell and crack???

Anyways, I’m noticing that newer packs include a desiccant pack. Trying to cut down on the humidity attacking the clay I guess.

Where did you get that? I was commenting on the OPs report of his rockets wobbling in flight and sometimes going horizontal. Nowhere in my post did I bring up swelling and cracked nozzles.

Where did you get that? I was commenting on the OPs report of his rockets wobbling in flight and sometimes going horizontal. Nowhere in my post did I bring up swelling and cracked nozzles.
Ah, you didn't quote the OP and the discussion had moved on to swelling clay nozzles causing the rockets to go sideways so was confused what you were saying.

Back