Flew my first non-plastic-finned rocket today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRThro

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Today, our club (Challenger498 in Houston) had our 4th-Saturday-of-the-month launch, and I got to fly my Estes Patriot missile that's still under construction. That is, it's built, but not finished, sanded, primed, sanded, or painted.

I flew it on B6-4's and C6-5's, very nice flights every time. The last flight, the wadding didn't eject, but the nose cone and parachute did just fine.

It was HOT and I'm sunburned, but it was lots of fun.

That was my first rocket that has actual wooden fins instead of plastic ones. I even had to glue them on all by myself! (And the crowd goes wild!)

I'm gradually improving my confidence and building skiils. This was the fifth rocket I ever built/assembled.

Good job, JR. Let's see some pics if you can!:) That new Patriot is a nice rocket. If you need paint help, there are many excellent artists here...just ask!:) To increase your chute deployment success, be sure to try the "dog barf" wadding...there are threads here all about it! Since I started using it, my chute problems have ceased!:D

Awesome JR!
I want to get a Patriot. That whole Estes series of bombs and missles is cool. Forum member Adam Selene has a cluster bomb painted crazy pink that deploys paratrooper aliens at ejection..Post a pic when you paint your missle.:D

Good job! I will say that the transition from plastic fin units to balsa fins is a pretty big one, and I'm glad to hear yours went well!

Loopy

Originally posted by Loopy
Good job! I will say that the transition from plastic fin units to balsa fins is a pretty big one, and I'm glad to hear yours went well!

Loopy

Thanks! I was concerned that the fins would break, but I took the advice of someone in my club. He suggested covering the fins in a thin layer of CA glue, and it worked wonders! The fins were nice and strong. Still somewhat flexible, but strong.

Back