Flew my first Mosquito today...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a big lug on such a little bug! Great idea on the reflective tape for visibility & spin tabs. I'd be afraid to fire one on anything more than a 1/4A. Congrats! :)

That's a big lug on such a little bug! Great idea on the reflective tape for visibility & spin tabs. I'd be afraid to fire one on anything more than a 1/4A. Congrats! :)

The Mega-Mosquitoes come with the regular Mosquito, and for some reason they stick the beefy Mega's lugs in the same packet as the mosquito kit.
I took it as they want me to build an even tinier Mosquito for MMX motors, but have not gotten to it yet.
I've got a handful of those lugs just waiting patiently to become rockets.

There's not a lot of Glassine, but might as well get rid of it anyhow if you're going to add CF.:wink:

micro mosquitoes 2016-06-29 001.jpgmicro mosquitoes 2016-06-29 003.jpgmicro mosquitoes 2016-06-29 004.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to get 3rd party confirmation on that... Nobody gets their Mosquito back! :wink:

Top, I don't know much about MMX motors but is that even going to be possible to track? this one vanished at ejection with only a 1/2a.

I got mine back on an A10. Decided not to push my luck so I converted it to fly on MicroMaxx. :)

This thread has got me craving some Mosquito and 220 Swift launches.

It's making me scared to launch it again.

Know ways to make it less of a Houdini?
Switching to micromaxx isn't that appealing, I like buying from my LHS and they dont stock quest motors.

It's making me scared to launch it again.

Know ways to make it less of a Houdini?
Switching to micromaxx isn't that appealing, I like buying from my LHS and they dont stock quest motors.

LOL! Amsterdam!
Very Nifty Idea adding spin tabs and reflective tape to help Lower the altitude and reflect some sunlight:)

If getting your Mosquitos, Quarks, 220 Swifts and other small BT-5 models back is something of a concern. Then converting them to MMX Power 1/8A.5-1 they still can go out of sight but with the help of a small rear ejection pod and Streamer are WAY easier to track back to the ground.

My Scout Troop used to have a yearly "Mosquito Launch" were the troop would buy 50-100 Mosquito kits (this was back when they are about 1.50 each). Everybody in the troop would build, paint or decorate in whatever manor the scouts wished. This included the Adult Leaders and Scoutmaster (Me).
We had a ball! Most of my Assistant leaders and active adults were all Marine or Navy guys (the troop was sponsered by Naval District Washington). Just about every one of them painted there Mosquitos in Camoflage colors...as the intent was to stick A10-3T's in their Rockets...Never to be seen again.
Generally out of the 50-75 mosquito's that we launched..amazingly about 20 were actually tracked their entire flights and recovered. Of coarse most of the Camo-A10 flights were caught on sky-Hooks or something as they simply were never seen again once the botton was pushed:)

Instead of building a Minimum Diameter "Mosquito" I combined two funnies by building a Slightly larger then .281" actually .320" OD Crayon with Mosquito shape fins. and yes it has been flown 3 times each time getting it back on a tiny 1/4" x 10" yellow teflon streamers. Fun to watch coming down because it teleports off the pad :)

294b-lp08b_Mosquito After recovery_06-16-07.JPG

294c-sm_MM Mosquito rearEject MMX X-Metal Red_03-14-14.jpg

294d_MM Mosquito Rear EjectPod Complete_04-14-15.jpg

343a1-sm_MM 220Swift conversion_03-30-08.jpg

Last edited:
John, those look like a lot of fun! think I'm starting to get the appeal of micromax.
before I gamble with the mosquito again I'll hang some short Mylar strips off the fins. Kinda hokey but should load the dice in my favor.

3M products helped my MMX Mosquito too, from the CF fabric right up to the clear double sided Scotch Brand tape for the dry fit mockup.
I'm voting for 3M for president as a "Write in".

Carbon Fiber Micro Mosquito 2016-06-30 004.jpgCarbon Fiber Micro Mosquito 2016-06-30 007.JPG

Last edited:
John, those look like a lot of fun! think I'm starting to get the appeal of micromax.
before I gamble with the mosquito again I'll hang some short Mylar strips off the fins. Kinda hokey but should load the dice in my favor.

I've learned a lot from John, and yes, MMX is as amazingly fun as he makes it out to be!
Kudos to you John!

So what's the best way to get tiny high performance rockets back? I'm not aware of any unlicensed 1g-2g trackers or GPS units.... streamer + powder?

So what's the best way to get tiny high performance rockets back? I'm not aware of any unlicensed 1g-2g trackers or GPS units.... streamer + powder?

Imagination!

Without that your done for!

Top, That dry fit looks really sharp. I can't get a grasp on how small it is lol, help me out! Maybe a picture with something thrown in for scale.

Back