Flew a Saturn V Today :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice flight! That rocket also flies really well (actually better, to be honest) on Questjet C12s and D16s.

What exactly did you use for wadding?

Ablative

Reaction score
Great launch! It’s torrential rain in ky wish I was launching today too.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Nice flight! That rocket also flies really well (actually better, to be honest) on Questjet C12s and D16s.

What exactly did you use for wadding?
I really want to get my hands on those q-jets. I plan to ask for some for secret santa :). I do have a D24 in my range box but it will take some creativity to use the RMS motor. Will need to find my masking tape.

It wasn't Estes wadding. It was some other "flame proof" paper. Don't remember where I got it from. I did order some more Estes Wadding but wont be here till Tuesday. It's not the first time I seen wadding smolder like that, even with the Estes stuff. That's one of the reasons I make an effort to collect wadding after flights.

BBowmaster

Reaction score
I launched mine with C6-3s and C12-6s. Virtually identical flight honestly. Last one broke one of the display fins unfortunately. Clear flight fins are still good.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice flight, beautiful day!

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I really want to get my hands on those q-jets. I plan to ask for some for secret santa :). I do have a D24 in my range box but it will take some creativity to use the RMS motor. Will need to find my masking tape.

It wasn't Estes wadding. It was some other "flame proof" paper. Don't remember where I got it from. I did order some more Estes Wadding but wont be here till Tuesday. It's not the first time I seen wadding smolder like that, even with the Estes stuff. That's one of the reasons I make an effort to collect wadding after flights.
I always use Dog Barf. Cellulose Insulation (not fiberglass), its flame proof and biodegradable. If you fly a lot you can buy a bale of it for less than 10 bucks and it will last several lifetimes. Estes wading is a major rip off price wise IMO.
Usually at club launches a lot of people have a bag of Dog Barf and are very generous.
Just don't use whatever that was.
Happy flying![emoji41]

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I too use dog barf, but I find it impractical to use for anything smaller than a BT-60 size or I am just flying one rocket. I have developed a sensitivity to it so I am don't want to use it for one flight or rockets where it takes only a few squares of wadding.

John Taylor

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use it on all sized tubes. I am very sorry to hear you can't really use it anymore. I was surprised to see the wadding was smoldering so much. That definently looks like a fire hazard. Perhaps a heat shield?? Not trying to rain on you, it was a very nice launch and a beautiful rocket. The Saturn V is my favorite model. Happy flying!

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I was surprised to see it smoldering like that too. Thankfully everything was damp and I was able to take care of it :). Those ejection charges are hot :p

PXR5

Starship Hijacker
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice flight
At first I thought that dog was a Golden Retriever, not a Rocket Retriever :)
He wasn't gonna let it get away ;)