Fleet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
hope this is the right place to post this -
finally took a picture of our fleet last night.

Mason's Madhouse Rocket Fleet

Been at this since end of July.

I beleive jetra2 has it right about the fine line between a hobby and a mental illness.

That is some nice work.

Very impressive since the end of July!

I can't resist so I've got to post my fleet here too :)

Picture:
Rocket_Room.jpg

Now, the above picture was taken in 1988 :D

Today my fleet is counting 228+ rockets which are all documented on my web site.

Well, after today the count is actually 235+. Amoung others I found a boxed Centuri Saturn 1B (my all time favorite real life rocket) :)

@astronboy

Stay tuned for a small surprise I might have for you next week ;)

I should add that you have some real nice rockets stevem. Like the V2 color scheme :)

Here is a version I built some time in the late 80's which I then donated to the "Hermann Oberth Space Flight Museum".

Picture:
V2_Museum.jpg

It's a Maxi V2 from Estes with White Sands color scheme.

Wow Leo - that is a impressive fleet!

228 rockets!?
lets see I have 11 since end of July so that's about 3 or 4 a month - at this rate it'll take me almost 5 years to have 228 rockets. Guess I'd better pick up the pace!:D

Beautiful V2! that's nice enough to be museum piece!;)

really like the way you have all the cards form the rocket kits posted on the wall. very cool.

Leo, that is good looking V-2........ I have not seen that version...... I may have to build several V-2s so I can have more than one cool paint schemes......

Originally posted by sandman
Leo,

I guess we had the same idea!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=5174

Round #54 was referred to as "Sir Launchalot" because it took several trys to get it lit!

Finally wound up only going a few kilometers up and exploded...oh well!

sandman

Oh nice, 2 very cool looking V2's. Like the rare Bumper :)

Must build one some day :)

Leo wrote: "Astronboy: Stay tuned for a small surprise I might have for you next week "

I like surprises!!

:D

Once again, sorry I have no pictures, but wait 'till after Christmas and I'll have PLENTY! Currently, I have 111 rockets actively flying, 10 waiting to be fixed, 34 still in the bag or unassembled scratches, and 56 awaiting paint jobs. 211 total. I also just ordered an Apogee Aspire this morning, so the number will be 212 sometime next week!

Originally posted by Leo

It's a Maxi V2 from Estes with White Sands color scheme.
Nice Fleet and V2 Leo.
I did an original Estes Bt55 V2 in a similar pattern, just found the picture on the web and liked it. I did not know where it originated though. You can see it in the picture on the left hand side.

We currently have about 280 rockets, with about 140 flyable, list is here
https://members.cox.net/shortckt4/OurRocketKits.htm
Our page can be found here with links and pitures to many of our rockets.
https://members.cox.net/shortckt4/main.htm
I need to revamp it and put up seperate pages and pictures of each member of the fleet.
Happy Flying!

This picture was taken over a year ago. I have since probably doubled my collection of unbuilt kits. Honestly, I fear taking out all of the rockets I have in my storage closet. It needs to be done though. I'd like to have a spreadsheet with as much data about them as possible.

Neat, I'm not the only one with kits lying around :)

Nice collections everyone :cool:

Eugenefl,

Is that Long EZ a rocket R/C glider? Or a pusher prop R/C? Or just a plain ol plastic model kit?

If it is not called the Long EZ, than I am refering to the plane with the canard wings. The Long EZ is my favorite all-time Plan-built plane, that Burt Rutan himself designed...:cool: very cool fleet!

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Eugenefl,

Is that Long EZ a rocket R/C glider? Or a pusher prop R/C? Or just a plain ol plastic model kit?

If it is not called the Long EZ, than I am refering to the plane with the canard wings. The Long EZ is my favorite all-time Plan-built plane, that Burt Rutan himself designed...:cool: very cool fleet!

Nope, that's the Estes <a href="https://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rockets/nostalgia/94est44.html">Astro Blaster</a> no longer in production. It boosts like a rocket and is an R/C glider after motor burnout. It can also be converted on the field for prop-powered flight. Very neat! I just wish I was an R/C pilot.

EDIT: The Astro Blaster is making a reintroduction into the Estes product line but under a different name. Anyone?

Ooo... So many nice rockets! I remember the Estes Magnum... one of my favorite 2 Stagers. If I had another one... I would make it a D12 to E9 beast :D

Very cool,

If Estes does re-introduce it, I will have to get one and then I can say I finally built the Long-EZ...well a guy can dream can't he?

R/C 2 and 4 channel radios are somewhat more affordable, I may try my hand again at R/C with this Rocket version when and if they bring it out.

Thanks Eugenefl

Originally posted by Johnnierkt
Very cool,

If Estes does re-introduce it, I will have to get one and then I can say I finally built the Long-EZ...well a guy can dream can't he?

R/C 2 and 4 channel radios are somewhat more affordable, I may try my hand again at R/C with this Rocket version when and if they bring it out.

Thanks Eugenefl

Why wait? Estes already has just rereleased the "Strato Blaster" under the new T-25 Centurian name. You can buy it at https://www.ehobbies.com or you can click <a href="https://www.ehobbies.com/rk-est-2201.html">HERE</a> and go the glider page directly.

I love to instigate. More than anything, I *really* want to see a local TRFer fly and evaluate one of these. Ken Parker is currently building his. You might want to drop him a line if you have any question or concerns. He'd be glad to assist.

Is your Christmas (holiday) shopping list complete? Add one to your wish list! :D

Originally posted by eugenefl

EDIT: The Astro Blaster is making a reintroduction into the Estes product line but under a different name. Anyone?

I believe that they were going to call the reintroduction of the Astro Blaster the i28 Impulse. However, for some reason, they don't seem to be inclined to reintroduce that kit anytime soon. Seems like they are staying with the T25 Centurian for the moment.

I'm way behind on getting started on the construction of the Centurian. Silly thing called work keeps getting in the way. I'm still hoping to get to use some of my vacation during the next few weeks so that I can do some building. If I get to, I'll post pics and notes on the construction.

Ken,

The Astro Blaster re-intro T28 does not look like it will make production. Come to find out it flys like a real POS...this info came from the glider fliers at NARAM this year. In the meantime and also at NARAM, out local club Prez managed to pick up a Centurian, which he noted has better flight characteristics than the astro version.

Carl

Originally posted by CTulanko
Ken,

The Astro Blaster re-intro T28 does not look like it will make production. Come to find out it flys like a real POS...this info came from the glider fliers at NARAM this year. In the meantime and also at NARAM, out local club Prez managed to pick up a Centurian, which he noted has better flight characteristics than the astro version.

Carl

I've heard the same from an R/C pilot at one of our local hobby shops. I think it still looks cool. Even if I never pilot one, I'd still like to see it boost or someone else fly it! That bird looks cool. I remember when it came out - I thought it was very futuristic looking. Ah well, I hope Estes sees success with the Centurian so that future offerings will cater to some R/C guys.

Originally posted by CTulanko
Ken,

Carl

Carl - hmmm.. interesting. Wonder why it flies like a POS? There isn't anything wrong with the design... and the airfoil looks right for the type. I'm wondering if maybe they just didn't have the balance quite right. Or.... maybe they just don't understand that a canard does NOT fly the same as a conventional glider. Also, I assume that they are talking about the old Astro Blaster, since to my knowledge none of the new ones were ever produced. If they are, I really do think they set something up wrong. The reason I say this is that there was a guy who had an Astro Blaster in one of the local RC clubs to which I used to be a member. He used to fly his with the .049 engine adapter and that thing screamed and was a real neat flying bird.

Oh well. Someday I'll build the Astro Blaster kit that I have squirelled away and find out for myself.

Originally posted by Leo
@astronboy

Stay tuned for a small surprise I might have for you next week ;)
Astronboy, got this in the mail today :eek: :)

Picture:
Alpha_Mattel.jpg

You've got email ;)

I also have an unbuilt original Astro Blaster tucked away. I received it as a Xmas present years ago from my wife. (It's still one of my all time favorite presents!) I haven't built it, because I've heard it is not an R/C glider for beginners. I only have very limited R/C flight experience and it would just kill me to spend a lot of time and energy building it to potentially see it destroyed on it's first flight. My thought process was to become a proficient R/C flyer before taking it on, unfortunately that has never happened. (Would take to much time away from rocketry! :D )

Just a note about the Astro Blaster kit. This is a builders kit, similar to a R/C airplane. Built up balsa fuselage and foam wings. I believe the new Estes versions were to be more ARF (almost ready to fly.)

Back