Flat Earthers.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google strontium atom and see that they captured the light emitted from one.....no you can’t see it using a light microscope, but you can definitely prove it’s there by seeing emittions. Gravity and electromagnetic forces are another thing.... :)

After all, what we commonly see is light bouncing off of materials....if it quacks like a duck, it must be a....dog.
That proves that light was emitted. "By XYZ" is conjecture. (FWIW my Ph.D. dissertation wasn't rocket related ;) , it was on emission spectrometry, so I guess I know something about it: "Some aspects of rapid analysis of coal slurries by direct current plasma emission spectrometry.")

No one with more than four brain cells denies that atoms, magnetic fields, etc. exist.** The effects of atoms, magnetic fields, etc. can easily be observed; in fact those observations are the basis for the theory. A fun experiment in high school science: place a magnet under a sheet of cardboard and sprinkle iron filings on it. With that we can see what the magnetic field does. It is a fact (one scientific definition of which is "that which is obvious to anyone who cares to look/taste/touch") that the bits of iron form curved lines in a pattern. But those curved lines aren't the magnetic field.

Yes, I can see a water glass by reflected and transmitted light. I can also touch the glass, taste it (observation: glass has no taste :)), hear it break when I drop it on the floor. This could lead to a metaphysical discussion of real and not-real, but that's philosophy, not science.

Best -- Terry
**To quote a well-known author: "There is no such thing as gravity. The Earth sucks." :D

Saw a show once that said even Einstein was wrong about certain principles of Quantum Mechanics....it was a fascinating program that displayed what happens in one part of the universe can happen in another at the same time At that level...a sort of cause and effect. Almost magic. Sometimes what we believe to be true holds some real surprises....

the rats know....

Saw a show once that said even Einstein was wrong about certain principles of Quantum Mechanics....it was a fascinating program that displayed what happens in one part of the universe can happen in another at the same time At that level...a sort of cause and effect. Almost magic. Sometimes what we believe to be true holds some real surprises....

the rats know....
Sounds like the phenomenon caused by quantum entanglement. Take two particles that have some property (momentum, position, spin, whatever) that is correlated. Their quantum states depend on each other. For example, two electrons with total spin = 0. If measured, one electron will have spin-up, the other spin-down. But before we make a measurement, they both occupy both states (either could be up or down). There’s a 50/50 chance of either type of spin. Say we take a measurement of one electron and it’s spin-up, the other electron will immediately become spin-down, without us having measured it. It’s almost as if the first electron passed information to the second to tell it what spin to be. Now separate these entangled electrons by a large distance, and the phenomenon remains. At the moment the one electron‘s spin is measured, the unmeasured one’s spin also becomes known. But how did the unmeasured electron know which spin to be? It appears as if the information from the measured electron to the unmeasured one is traveling at faster than light speeds. Einstein was not a fan. He called it “spooky action at a distance.”

And that’s not the only thing that Einstein didn’t like about QM (See also his quote “God does not play dice”).

Sounds like the phenomenon caused by quantum entanglement. Take two particles that have some property (momentum, position, spin, whatever) that is correlated. Their quantum states depend on each other. For example, two electrons with total spin = 0. If measured, one electron will have spin-up, the other spin-down. But before we make a measurement, they both occupy both states (either could be up or down). There’s a 50/50 chance of either type of spin. Say we take a measurement of one electron and it’s spin-up, the other electron will immediately become spin-down, without us having measured it. It’s almost as if the first electron passed information to the second to tell it what spin to be. Now separate these entangled electrons by a large distance, and the phenomenon remains. At the moment the one electron‘s spin is measured, the unmeasured one’s spin also becomes known. But how did the unmeasured electron know which spin to be? It appears as if the information from the measured electron to the unmeasured one is traveling at faster than light speeds. Einstein was not a fan. He called it “spooky action at a distance.”

And that’s not the only thing that Einstein didn’t like about QM (See also his quote “God does not play dice”).
Yes, that sounds like it....the scientists that Einstein said it was BS too actually proved it through an experiment somehow off earth....I don’t remember how but definitely wild stuff, thanks. Big E had to back track a bit on that one...

Almost 50 years ago a hoax was played on the editors and readers of a San Diego newspaper. At the time there was (and still is) a very intelligent and robust scientific community in residence in San Diego. One of them wrote a letter to the editor of the paper expressing their concern about the possible damage that could be done to the planet by unrestricted space exploration. Another scientist, who was in on the joke, responded with another letter in the affirmative and the two scientists were allowed to argue and counter argue in alternating letters to the editor about these risks, somewhat like a facebook amplification. The gist of the argument went something like this:

we all know that an object placed sufficiently far enough away from earth in orbit will remain in orbit for potentially a long time. and if in a geosynchronous orbit it will appear to hover in one place.

now imagine if this object was a rolled up rubber hose of very very long length. While in orbit, one end of the hose could be lowered toward earth and the other end extended farther into space such that the center of gravity of this extended hose remains at the exact point needed to maintain geosynchronous orbit And therefore this long hose could be made to stay in one place in this orbit.

now if the hose is sufficiently long enough, one end could extend well into the earth’s atmosphere while the other end would be way out in the vacuum of space.

The danger then comes if someone opens the nozzle on the hose such that both ends of the hose are open. The vacuum of space at the farthest end of the hose would suck out all the air at the other end of the hose. And if we let this go on long enough, all the earth‘s atmosphere would be sucked out into outer space and the earth would become uninhabitable and we would all die.

Other readers wrote in about their concerns regarding this happening, and things accelerated.

It was finally at this point, i am told, that the editors of the paper figured out that they had been hoaxed and stopped publishing all further letters from the two scientists. I dont know if there was a retraction or any acknowledgment they had been hoaxed. I would have loved to see the original exchange and i wonder where it would have gone had the scientists been allowed to keep going.

This is almost as good as the concerns about that dangerous chemical dihydrogen oxide that were whipped up in a similar fashion probably about the same time. Maybe it was the same two scientists😎
Are you familiar with “the Andy Letter” or “the Andy Scale”? NB: well worth an investment of a couple minutes of your time.

see at 37:12 of the show
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/745219024/-1930-the-andy-letter

Last edited:
Book 'em, Spocko!
Ahhhhhhh,

More trivia,

My lovely spouse and I went to Hawaii on a cruise in the early 90's and took a car tour around the island. It was in a simple Chevy Impala and the older Hawaiian man driving us past Tom Selleck's restaurant that Mr. Selleck owned at the time. The driver mentions this is Magnum P.I.'s restaurant and if you run into Tom Selleck on the street, he's a really nice guy. He'd sign autographs and one could take pictures with him. We didn't meet T. S. but the driver mentioned if you meet Jack Lord from the original "Hawaii Five-O" fame, "He's a complete as-shole." I did a search online and it sort of appears that J.L. wasn't the nicest guy to deal with. Made a bunch of stupid demands with movie studios and such. Google it.

Kurt

Last edited:
It's not happening fast enough.
As much as I pity people that reject the facts of a round earth, and that the vaccine can help, I really don't think it's right to cheer on anyone that dies of Covid and wish that more vaccine deniers (or anyone) would also die.

This is probably against forum rules too.

As much as I pity people that reject the facts of a round earth, and that the vaccine can help, I really don't think it's right to cheer on anyone that dies of Covid and wish that more vaccine deniers (or anyone) would also die.

This is probably against forum rules too.
Well, there is that Darwin thing. Covid 19 is thinning the herd. The effect might be better if it took out breeders instead of mostly old folks and vaccine deniers. It does cause inheritance ($) to flow prematurely to those who are more likely to spend it, driving up inflation...

Back