Flat Earthers.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1634572257190.png
Actually the velocity of Earth's rotation is 1,040mph only at the equator. The farther you get away from 0deg latitude, either north or south, the slower the rotational velocity.
Do not confuse rotational velocity with rate of rotation.
This is why if you step into a teleport booth at the equator with New York City as your destination you will, upon arrival, be smashed into the east facing wall at around 400mph.

Larry Niven had lots of fun with this.

Whenever someone claims that "the earth is spinning at 1,000 mph" I immediately know they're clueless as to what the earth is actually doing. I explain that the earth actually rotates once every 24 hours, which is actually far too slow to feel, and nothing like the image above of people on a carnival ride. They don't understand that the atmosphere moves with the earth and they're not blasting through it.

Flat earthers always claim that we should all feel the earth spinning that fast.

I ask them to look at the hour hand of an analog clock and imagine how fast an ant, standing on the tip, would think he was moving, or if he should be able to feel it at all. Then I remind them that the earth is spinning HALF that angular speed.

Whenever someone claims that "the earth is spinning at 1,000 mph" I immediately know they're clueless as to what the earth is actually doing. I explain that the earth actually rotates once every 24 hours, which is actually far too slow to feel, and nothing like the image above of people on a carnival ride. They don't understand that the atmosphere moves with the earth and they're not blasting through it.

Flat earthers always claim that we should all feel the earth spinning that fast.

I ask them to look at the hour hand of an analog clock and imagine how fast an ant, standing on the tip, would think he was moving, or if he should be able to feel it at all. Then I remind them that the earth is spinning HALF that angular speed.
I've actually stepped through the math showing the acceleration due to gravity is almost 300 times that of the centripetal acceleration at the equator. All I get from these idiots is arrogant dismissal. They lack the mental capability to comprehend simple algebra.

Well, there is that Darwin thing. Covid 19 is thinning the herd. The effect might be better if it took out breeders instead of mostly old folks and vaccine deniers. It does cause inheritance ($) to flow prematurely to those who are more likely to spend it, driving up inflation...

Uhhh...wow that's a dark way of looking at things.

You must be fun at parties. :|

I don't know about that. The fake moon landing was to get the USSR to bankrupt itself trying to keep up. The deep state is people want to gain or maintain political power (and take away all the guns). The pedophile ring is people who... well, that one's pretty obvious. There's very often money to be made, like big pharma is hiding that fact that vaccines cause autism so they can keep selling vaccines, duh. So it seems like "Why?" is a good question to put to flat Earthers. I guess there's some money to be made in globe sales, but it's not quite enough; there has to be something else in addition.
Really guys, don't you all know this is about "Big Toy". Mattel is geared up to produce hundreds of millions of Frisbees with a map of the earth printed on the top. Once half the population is convinced the earth is flat they will want one of these Frisbees, perhaps two or three. The government will then pay Mattel huge money for these Frisbees and give them to the people who want them. All causes of death, whether cancer, crash or your parachute didn't open will be listed as lack of flat earth Frisbee. Then later the government will mandate that you have one of these Frisbees to travel and work so they can continue buying Frisbees, and delivering them to people who don't want them. Some of the population will find someone who works in the toy distribution business to give them a receipt saying they have an earth Frisbee, when really they don't...
Then when the wealth transfer starts slowing they will tell everyone that their Frisbee is made with biodegradable plastic and they will need a new one every 6 months.

I know it sounds crazy right..

Last edited:
I think it's a waste of time to rant about flat earthers. It's basically a religion, and maybe talking about them just gives them more of the attention they feed off of. After all, why they grew is because of all the media attention in my opinion. I think attempting to convince people who deny basic science with science is a frankly stupid on its own lol

Back