Flat Cat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj_h1

Reaction score
Just completed my Flat Cat. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, but if it glides anything like it trim flights this ought to be good!:clap:

Rockets_20090019.jpg

The Cat's a super time-tested design (I think G. Harry designed it in the mid-to-late 1960s, shortly after the pop-pod design had first hit the hobby), fun and (relatively) easy to build, a real crowd-pleaser.

I think the current Cat differs from the original only in having one rudder (the original had two small rudders glued to the tips of the stabilizer IIRC).

It was the first B/G I ever built that really worked -- I built an Astron Falcon that "kinda" worked; it made one or two wide loops before it nosed in -- but the Flat Cat worked just like on the drawing board: straight boost, pod pops off, and glider glides in, making lazy circles.

Yes, the Flat Cat is an excellent B/G. I had the original MPC model in the early 1970's and never had any problems with it. Currently have the Quest kit still in-the-bag awaiting assembly.

Ooo. Now that looks like something I could like. :eek: Too busy with my thread, cloth, and sewing, but that does look like a neat build!

Trudy
PemTech's Art Department and unofficial Cheering Dept.

Sounds good; I'll have to get one. I'm still an RBG noob, and I haven't flown that many different designs yet. My best flights so far (all on other designs) have sorta worked, gliding in at about the same angle that the Shuttle takes during its landing approach (except that mine don't pull up and level out before touchdown). So if anyone can make the Flat Cat fly like a Plucked Turkey, it will be me...

MarkII

Works great--just be sure to use a short delay engine like a B6-2. If the engine delay is too long, the glider head into a dive and won't be able to pull out. :y:

I typically add some negative incidence to the stabilize of my gliders--this helps the glider pull out of a dive. This is almost essential with the 1/4A3-3T--three seconds is a long time with such a small impulse engine.

Won one of these at the NYPower raffle this past weekend and then immediately donated it to the club...

Quest Flat Cat was my first BG model as well. I will definitely second the comment about using a short delay. I core sampled 3x in a row using B6-4's (pod never came off). Model was completely flyable after each time (!). Bob Kaplow saw the third "flight" and said 'here try this' and handed me a B6-2. I respect Bob's advice, but I remember thinking at the time that I was sure it was an aerodynamic or balance issue, not a motor issue. Boy was Bob right...
The B6-2 flight had a glide of more than 4 minutes - although I had the longest walk I've ever had to take to get a rocket back, it still makes me smile to remember what it looked like to see that thing circle in the sky forever. (Thanks again Bob)

20090614t134249dsc_4478_std.jpg

flatcatbg.jpg

Hi Kerry,

Glad you had Bob around to help you out. A good glider is a great crowd pleaser.

Zack Lau

Quest Flat Cat was my first BG model as well. I will definitely second the comment about using a short delay. I core sampled 3x in a row using B6-4's (pod never came off). Model was completely flyable after each time (!). Bob Kaplow saw the third "flight" and said 'here try this' and handed me a B6-2. I respect Bob's advice, but I remember thinking at the time that I was sure it was an aerodynamic or balance issue, not a motor issue. Boy was Bob right...
The B6-2 flight had a glide of more than 4 minutes - although I had the longest walk I've ever had to take to get a rocket back, it still makes me smile to remember what it looked like to see that thing circle in the sky forever. (Thanks again Bob)

Four minutes on a B6-2? That's a GREAT time for a glider of that size. Great job!

I would try a B4-2. Those things love gliders. I imagine the new Quest C6-3 would be great for it too.

Agreed; the B4-2 has a thrust curve that's more suited for B/G & R/G. It'll be interesting to see what the long buring Quest C6's will do....

Back