Flat Black

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Serenity now......
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that paint rockets or parts of rockets flat black, what paint are you using? I have "HotRod Flatz" from the Restoration Shop, but only have a small project and do not want to fire up the compressor and clean a gun for this.

I have had good results using the Krylon flat black from Wally World. Price is good enough to warrant the purchase even if you only need a little. Covers well (obviously, I suppose...), finishes smooth and dries quickly.

Bonus for flat black... it doubles as "chalkboard" paint... just paint a smooth piece of wood and hang it in the shop, or by the door. put a little shelf on it. Add some chalk.
In my case, I used it on a cabinet door in the kitchen next to the phone. It was back when we had one of those old style telephones that had to be wired into the wall.

A simple flat black is Eastwood DTM etching primer in black. It is pretty durable on it's own. For long term exposure, like a rocket is unlikely to get, it is fine. I use it in my business for restorations when someone does not want to pay for the 2k urethane Rat Rod flat black, also from Eastood. The primer is very low build, so your prep needs to be good. The cans hae a great spray nozzle, and last many uses if care is taken to spray out the nozzle after each use (upside down until clear) On a rocket, for flat black, I would not hesitate to use it. It covers great, but is relatively low solids, as most rattle cans are, so your prep needs to be primo.

Check out Montana cans shock black. You can get it delivered to Home Depot free and save shipping.
First of all, I didn't know HD carried the Montana line. Good to know. But is there anything special about their flat black, other than the cool name?
I have some, it's just really matte and really black.
Now this calls for some explanation. How did you get your hands on some of that stuff? Is there an interesting story here?

Now this calls for some explanation. How did you get your hands on some of that stuff? Is there an interesting story here?
I wanted to paint some stuff on a co-workers desk while they were recovering from surgery. It worked better than any other black I had handy. Internet order.

My personal favorite is the Rustoleum flat spray cans. Also from Wally World.
Same here if you mean the Rustoleum camo selections. For a very matte black which avoids the dust/dirt collection characteristic of flat paints, I use Rustoleum High Heat BBQ black.

I just use the cheap house brand flat black from the big box stores (Home Depot and Lowes).
Frankly I can't tell any difference between that and the more expensive ones.
Except maybe the smell and it's runnier.
So I wear a mask and do multiple light coats.:D
0428190719.jpg

That last pic looks like an epic lawn dart in the making.

i-PRGt4pk-X2.jpg

Yes, yes it was... Never did get the tip of the nose out of the sod.

That is super-cool. How big is that thing?

i-Z6CcF3V-X3.jpg

Almost 4 feet long. Its on an 8 foot rail.

If (when ) I rebuild it will do a build thread on it

The ultra-dark black looks amazing on that pyramid rocket. Wouldn't want to use it on anything that has a lot of detail work because it will tend to hide it. I could imagine using it for special cases such as inside tube fins or other pods, around motor nozzles (if not in direct exhaust blast), etc. What I would *really* love to do is paint a big panel with it and use it as a photo background....

Back