Flash Recovery System Question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_The_RocketMan

Reaction score
So I ran into a problem when launching my Flash rocket for the 7th time, using a C6-5 engines. So on the final and last launch of the rocket we saw that the nosecone had separated from the body. We knew that we wernt going to ever retrieve either parts. The Problem was that the shock cord had distastched from the main body so when the ejection charge went off it was ripped out.

But the main question that I am asking is: would it be better for me to not to tie the shock cord to the body or should i glue it to the inside like every other rocket?

This is one of those "user preference" things.

T-bag (glued paper fold) mount works fine for awhile, then may need replacement.
Tied onto the motor mount or other part of the airframe will last awhile until the cord breaks.

Your best bet is selecting proper delay times so the recovery stress is the least.

I like using light kevlar tided around the mmt long enough to reach the forward end of the bt, then tided to a shock cord.

This is one of those "user preference" things.

T-bag (glued paper fold) mount works fine for awhile, then may need replacement.
Tied onto the motor mount or other part of the airframe will last awhile until the cord breaks.

Your best bet is selecting proper delay times so the recovery stress is the least.

Issue with the rocket being tied to the airframe was that the rocket only lasted 7 shoot outs.... its iether my tieing skills or the ejection charges ( ate way at the cord) i actually prefer tea bagging the cord to the inside never had one do that to me on the 7th shot... its more like 100th

Yeah flash kit is not reliable with recovery, i used C6-5 and the recovery broke off again after i had replaced the rocket.... i am very disturbed, but i did learn maybe the shock cord needs to be longer to allow the elasticty of the recovery to not snap it, maybe ill get a kevlar shock cord

Back