Quantcast

Flare Chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

rbeckey

Reaction score
I have several 36 inch flare chutes that I have tried to use on a couple different mid power designs. On two occasions they failed to open, with results that I am certain you can imagine. Anybody else having this problem with these chutes?

Zippy

Reaction score
I have about a 32" flare 'chute. I t has 8 shroud lines around the circumfrence and one in the middle. I used it on a 2 pound rocket and it floated and floated and floated the rocket into the nearest woods. That was on a flight to about 1400' with stiff upper level winds. The material seams to be made of something like silk. It's a very efficiant chute that I got for free. I can't imagine it not opening. I'm going to reef it next time.

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Reaction score
I've used my 36" version numerous times with no problems. Doesn't mean it won't happen to me next time.

Fore Check

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear how you packed the chute. Usually, when I have a 'chute failure, it's because I packed the chute wrong or weird or screwy.

I used a 36" flare chute in my upscaled Solar Sailer II with fantastic results - a perfect recovery with nearly zero wobble or spin. I was *very* pleased with its performance.

I packed it just like you would a smaller plastic chute: Draw it out to as much of a point as possible, fold a bit, and then wrap the shroud lines around the chute. Fit snugly in the BT60 airframe, but worked great.

I did cut off that wire loop at the chute attachment point that came with it, though. It was a tad "sharp" and seemed like it could catch on something and foul things up. I replaced it with a double loop of 100# kevlar, and tied the kevlar to a swivel clip. Worked great!

rbeckey

Reaction score
I also cut off that sharp cable loop. I packed them the same as always, and my chute failure rate is extremely low. I was pleased with them on the occassions they DID open, but they are only about 3/5 for me right now.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
Originally posted by rbeckey
I have several 36 inch flare chutes that I have tried to use on a couple different mid power designs. On two occasions they failed to open, with results that I am certain you can imagine. Anybody else having this problem with these chutes?
That's why they call it a flare chute. Sorry, I couldn't resist:D

Latest posts