• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found Flange-type 29mm retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never seen an aeropack type with a flange.
Bit of a PITA, but I made one for a rocket I inherited that didn’t have any motor retention. Get a 29mm G-10 centering ring that fits your airframe, cut a 1/2” long piece of 29mm motor mount tube and epoxy it flush with the CR, JB Weld a regular 29mm Aeropack to the MMT, drill your desired mounting hole pattern in the CR, and bolt it to the existing rear CR on your rocket

I am working on a design for a 29mm minimum diameter retention/recovery mount.

Bit late to the party BUT that retainer from Apogee does not work as intended. It has a flange yes but it is not for completely flat bottoms. You need some motor tube sticking out to actually hold a case in. I have one on a PML AMRAAM2 that I got for free and it had a flat bottom. I had to cut a piece of 29mm tubing to use as a spacer.

Bit late to the party BUT that retainer from Apogee does not work as intended. It has a flange yes but it is not for completely flat bottoms. You need some motor tube sticking out to actually hold a case in. I have one on a PML AMRAAM2 that I got for free and it had a flat bottom. I had to cut a piece of 29mm tubing to use as a spacer.
As shown the pocket is just deeper than the thrust ring is wide on most motors. You don't need to glue anything to rocket just get a 29mm fiberglass motor tube and carefully cut off a few rings of varying widths to use as shims. The thrust rings on Single use, Aerotech, CTI, Quest are all slightly different widths. (A threaded retainer, just threads on a little more or less to account for these differences.)

When loading motor slip the shim ring over the motor, then install motor and attach this flanged retainer. (Just remember to pull it off to save after the flight... I've forgot and thrown a few away.)
20221223_094529.jpg

Back