Flames

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Who here can tell me the best way they have found to paint flames on rockets? I'm interested primarily in single color, however multicolor would be welcome.

A

Interesting you thought of flames... Our upcoming fundraising kit will have a flame based theme! We plan on including flames cut into vinyl so that you can either apply vinyl, or use them as masks for custom colors.

Good luck!

Astrowolf does some nice flamework !
I believe he made adhesive templates out of contact paper

hmmm.I can't find the thread ,hopefully he will see this

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Who here can tell me the best way they have found to paint flames on rockets? I'm interested primarily in single color, however multicolor would be welcome.

A

I knew a guy back in The Day who painted "flames" on his bike's gas tank by dipping several lengths of nylon cord in red, yellow and orange paint (one at a time) and then whipping his tank with them. Ended up looking more like sparks flying than flames, but it looked sharp. Made a heck of a mess too. Great fun.

Lots more fun than when we dismantled the brakes on it and oiled them to make them stop squeaking. It worked: they stopped squeaking. But they stopped stopping too. We ended taking it all apart and washing it in a gallon of gas that we had to walk to get, for obvious reasons.

So, a "fling brush" made of a dozen or so pieces of heavy shroud cord? Practice on a piece of board and see what you think. And don't oil brakes.

Yes, I use a low tack vinyl contact paper for masking. A whole roll for just a couple bucks at Wal Mart. What I normally do, is cut off enough to wrap around the body tube, mark some alignment lines, lay the wrap face down, and draw my template on the paper backing. Cut the design out, and apply it over the very dry base coat, paint, then remove. You can create all sorts of designs with this stuff!!

check these out.

The easiest way to make flames is to first test your skill by drawing a bunch on paper. Draw little rockets with flames on them so you develop good flame shape, one that you will want on your rocket. Once you have done this paint your rocket a base color, then let is dry for a couple days. Go down to the body shop and buy some 3M plastic tape. The guy will get you the right stuff if you tell him what you are doing. This stuff makes curves like a dream. Put some on your rocket, it might take a couple tries, because it took me more than that. Finally I ended up with a shape I liked, then I masked the rest of the rocket, good masking is good because it really sucks when you get little spots of a different color.

Then spray on at least 2 coats and let it dry. if you want, when the paint is masked, lightly sand the base coat for better adhesion of the top coat. Once you have a good color let it dry to the touch. I then pulled off the rest of the masking tape because in the past, although rare, I have had regular masking peel paint off with it. After this you should just have your plastic tape, I would give this another day and then pulll off (if the paint isnt dry it might come up with the tape)

Now hit the rocket with clear coat, then wetsand the bump from the flames, do this over and over until the rocket is smooth. This last step is not nec. but if you feel the rocket you will feel the bumps, up to you, I didnt do it.

HTH

Back