Flag Chute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It could be a fun project, and it would probably work fine though, but it's probably not well optimized. I have no idea what the porosity of that poly weave would be, but I'd guess not as good as rip-stop nylon. Also, overall weight seems to be a bit high (around 2.6 oz/ft^3), vs. thin-mil nylon chutes that weigh in at around 1.1 oz/ft^3.

Still fun. Can you stuff it in a Mega Der Red Max? :grin:

I do apologize for the terrible pic quality. It is difficult to open the chute and take a photo at the same time. I made this chute from a flag I had. It is 3 foot in diameter and works great. My wife did the sewing for me and it turned out to be very durable.

Doc Brown

attachment.php

Screenshot_2016-06-20-18-08-31.jpg

Arrrgghh!

You'll never know unless you try it!

Sorry, I'm too wiped out to come up with anything clever.

Arrrrrr! nothing like flying me ole jolly roger......matey..............It actually works great.

Doc

What really is the pirate's favorite letter....

It's a C...

A vast
Fotolia_12246295_XS-letter-C-150x150.jpg
!!!

Last edited:
I read the title of this thread and was thinking of something else, deploy a flag and a chute. Have you ever seen a skydiver deploy a large USA flag? Has anyone tried to do something similar from a model rocket? Would be kind of cool for a July 4th themed launch.

8.jpg

Sea-ing this again reminds me that the pirate flag parrrachute would Arrguably be the best for me pirate themed rocket (now that I need to build one). Of course I'd need a Jolly (roger) Chute Release.

Ive done it in my Mega Der Red Max, had a Jolly Roger flag on that one, also on my Madcow 4" Patriot Dual Deploy with an american flag. Both worked pretty well.

I read the title of this thread and was thinking of something else, deploy a flag and a chute. Have you ever seen a skydiver deploy a large USA flag? Has anyone tried to do something similar from a model rocket? Would be kind of cool for a July 4th themed l

Years ago a buddy of mine did a rocket that deployed a flag like this. https://xtratime.net/pics/OldGlory2/OldGlory-II.htm

Tony

No, no, no to any of the Der Maxes. It needs to be an Arrrrgent.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love the idea of the flag flying as the rocket descends. I have one issue. Our flag is never to touch the ground. If it ever does, it's supposed to be laid to rest. How would you keep our American flag from being desecrated?

Please don't misunderstand me. I love the idea of the flag flying as the rocket descends. I have one issue. Our flag is never to touch the ground. If it ever does, it's supposed to be laid to rest. How would you keep our American flag from being desecrated?

Actually, the idea that a flag must be destroyed if it touches the ground is something of an urban legend.

https://www.snopes.com/holidays/flagday/disposal.asp

https://www.legion.org/flag/questions-answers/91118/does-flag-have-be-destroyed-if-it-touches-ground

I think the positive benefits of displaying the US Flag during a parachute jump or a rocket recovery outweigh the negatives of it briefly touching the ground afterwards.

TAB28682, sorry but I have to disagree. I've made many skydives flying big and small flags. Every effort is always made to catch the flag so it does not touch the ground when the skydiver lands. Granted this is difficult with a giant flag but the effort is still made.

Flag Etiquette

STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

TAB28682, sorry but I have to disagree. I've made many skydives flying big and small flags. Every effort is always made to catch the flag so it does not touch the ground when the skydiver lands. Granted this is difficult with a giant flag but the effort is still made.

Flag Etiquette

STANDARDS of RESPECT
The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

Thank you for posting that information LowPuller, every time I have seen a skydiver displaying a flag on their jump, there has always been a catch crew concerned only with keeping the flag from the ground. While it is not necessary to retire the flag after it touches the ground, we should always try and keep it from touching the ground.

Why not just make something that looks a lot like a flag? The spirit is there, most folks won't see the difference, and you don't risk any damage or something that may be disrespectful to our national symbol.

Back