FixIt Epoxy Sculpt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Curtis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using this at times for filets. While expensive for the purpose, it works well for adding weight too nose cones. Back to filets. How much strength does this add. I'm building the Toby Vanderbeek Sahara clone and am trying to decide what to use for the filets. I've used FitIt for smalled rockets and find it easy to shape but wondered if it would add enough strength for a rocket of this size.

I, personally don't care for the epoxy putties for jobs like these. I feel they don't penetrate; bond with the materials as glue or epoxy is intended to do. But rather, it just sits on top of whatever you apply it to.. So, i see it as more likely to break off,rather than add any structure..

My 2 cents..

I, personally don't care for the epoxy putties for jobs like these. I feel they don't penetrate; bond with the materials as glue or epoxy is intended to do. But rather, it just sits on top of whatever you apply it to.. So, i see it as more likely to break off,rather than add any structure..

^^^ THIS!!! ^^^

I've been using this at times for filets. While expensive for the purpose, it works well for adding weight too nose cones. Back to filets. How much strength does this add.

About zero.
Epoxy adds strength by soaking into, and binding to the surface of the fin and the airframe.
Epoxy clay, on the other hand, is way too dry to achieve that. I used it once (per one vendor's instruction video), and fillets popped right off during the first hard landing. Good thing was that the other "fillets" were super easy to remove, with minimal pressure. They broke off clean, and got replaced by proper epoxy. I threw out the clay product soon after that.
To make things worse, epoxy clay is a needlessly heavy product. It adds extra weight exactly at the place where you want it the least - the aft end of the rocket.

In case my feeling on the subject are still ambiguous - Epoxy clay / sculpt is an all around garbage product.
Unfortunately, it is being actively promoted by one vendor in this hobby, and the victims continue to pop up, regularly.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
About zero.
Epoxy adds strength by soaking into, and biding to the surface of the fin and the airframe.
Epoxy clay, on the other hand, is way too dry to achieve that. I used it once (per one vendor's instruction video), and fillets popped right off during the first hard landing. Good thing was that the other "fillets" were super easy to remove, with minimal pressure. They broke off clean, and got replaced by proper epoxy. I threw out the clay product soon after that.
To make things worse, epoxy clay is a needlessly heavy product. It adds extra weight exactly at the place where you want it the least - the aft end of the rocket.

In case my feeling on the subject are still ambiguous - Epoxy clay / sculpt is an all around garbage product.
Unfortunately, it is being actively promoted by one vendor in this hobby, and the victims continue to pop up, regularly.

HTH,
a

Guess I will just stick to using it to add weight to nose cones.

I'm probably be a FixIt victim, so I'll make the most of it by weighing it and see if it can at least be used as nose weight. 😁

It does a nice job of filling voids. If you need to plug gaps in your airframe or shape something unusual, it will hold that shape very well after it becomes solid.

Back