Fixing scratches in colored FG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swissyhawk

Reaction score
I'm building my first colored (other than green) FG rocket. One of the selling points is that no paint is required. However, the body tube has a pretty good scratch on it and the fins have some scratches on them. It's not a big deal but I was wondering if there is any recommended way to cover them up or to remove them. The only thing I found searching the forums was to finish it with Future Floor Finish (now called SC Johnson Pledge Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish). Does the Future Floor Finish cover up the scratches? Is there some other way to cover or remove the scratches? Thanks.

IMG_0284.jpgIMG_0285.jpg

Are the scratches deep? If so, then lightly sand them, matching the direction of the weave (if possible), then spray with clearcoat. Or just spray with clearcoat if the scratches are light. At least that's what I'd try...

Wet sand the whole fin until scratches are gone, then buff out with rubbing and polishing compounds. Finish off with automotive wax. Basically how surfboards are finished. Paint is easier. :)

Wet sand the whole fin until scratches are gone, then buff out with rubbing and polishing compounds. Finish off with automotive wax. Basically how surfboards are finished. Paint is easier. :)

Ditto and it would take care to use very fine sandpaper 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500 and a lot of elbow grease. I salvaged a paint job that had a few globs from drip buildup I very very carefully wet sanded, 'cause if you get to primer ya gotta respray.
Once the globs were even with the color coat layer, shot the clear and set sanded, rubbing compound, polishing compound and car wax. Beautiful until it starts getting dings from flying and hangar rash.

Another way to think of it is you won't be able to see the scratches when you're waiting for the rocket to launch. Too far away to see. Kurt

With scratches like that in the fins only real hope is to paint them black. Once you sand the G10 fins the top finish is gone.

With scratches like that in the fins only real hope is to paint them black. Once you sand the G10 fins the top finish is gone.

That's what I was worried about. I noticed when I beveled the edges, that the inside was more grayish than black. Evidently the black is just on the surface.

That's what I was worried about. I noticed when I beveled the edges, that the inside was more grayish than black. Evidently the black is just on the surface.

I stopped being a perfectionist with rocket paint jobs a long time ago. The thin walled spiral wound glass tubes are translucent and shows the Proline 4500 epoxy slop used on the motor centering rings to secure them.
Looks like hell but the rocket flies fine. I got over it. One nice thing I can see that the tracker LED is on through the colored nosecone. No, it's not black. Can't do it with a black NC.

Here's what you do. Build the rocket, fly the daylights out of it and if you get bored with it, it survives all your abuse THEN paint it and your problem is solved. At least for a time until it gets all dinged up from flying or hangar rash.:shock: Kurt

I stopped being a perfectionist with rocket paint jobs a long time ago. The thin walled spiral wound glass tubes are translucent and shows the Proline 4500 epoxy slop used on the motor centering rings to secure them.
Looks like hell but the rocket flies fine. I got over it. One nice thing I can see that the tracker LED is on through the colored nosecone. No, it's not black. Can't do it with a black NC.

Here's what you do. Build the rocket, fly the daylights out of it and if you get bored with it, it survives all your abuse THEN paint it and your problem is solved. At least for a time until it gets all dinged up from flying or hangar rash.:shock: Kurt

Yeah, I've gotten a lot less picky about paint these days too... When it sits out on the B or D pads, no one can see the runs... :blush:

Back