Fixing a (moderate) zipper

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABlock

Reaction score
Morning all. As detailed in this thread, a premature ejection zippered my Aerotech Strong Arm. The zipper isn't too bad, less than 2" from the top of the tube. I see two possible paths for repair and wanted to see if folks had additional advice:

1. Cut off the top 2" of the body tube. Not sure how best to do this to keep the cut square.
2. Smooth the zippered cardboard as much as possible, apply CA and perhaps a thin layer of epoxy on the inside of the tube (the nose cone is not a tight fit ATM). Let dry and sand out any lumps

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've used all three options above. My recommendation is try the least intrusive option first, i.e. option 2. "Soften" the zippered piece by getting it slight damp and then work into place. Use the nose cone or a spare couple as a form. Use the water to dampen sparingly. It might take several attempts of dampening and working into place. Harden with CA, let dry and sand. If that doesn't work then try option 1 or 3.

Back