firsttry died a glorious dead

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobrogg

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First-Try died a glorious dead. Everything was looking good, all three Pro J330 lit and lift-off was great! Then two seconds into flight the rocket suffered from a catastrophic airframe failure. It appeared that the break happened somewhere near the bottom transition. Half the rocket continued on a ballistic trajectory to the ground totally destroying the motor section- but leaving an impressive four-foot impact crater! The other half did a flat spin into the ground. My question is, if I fiberglass the mid section, would that give me the necessary strength to handle lift-off? Or am I looking at using some type of full-length internal insert to combat lift-off stresses?

Yes I think it would . Use a couple of wraps of 2oz Fibreglass Cloth & a good Resin+Hardner and your good to go.
-Karl

yeah it would, here is what I would do,

first use phenolic tube, wicked strong stuff alone, then cover it with 6 or 7.5 oz glass. This will result in an extremly tough and strong airframe (I have stood on my 6" rocket with 1 layer of 6oz)

I would no recomment using 2oz glass, 2oz is really meant to be put over a thicker weave in order to make the finish easier, it would take many wraps of 2 oz (at least 3) to get the same strength as 6oz, while possible, it would be a hassle

Back