First time post

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to the hobby and just wanted to drop in and say hello. Recently got into rocketry this summer when I bought a Quest Super Eagle starter kit for my 10 year old son (big tall BT55 size thing that needs Cs) . We've had a blast with it, and we recently bought built and flew an Estes Hi-Flier, that goes like nuts on a B (streamer recovery keeps it in the park).

A friend of a friend gave him and me all of his old rocketry stuff from back in the day so my son and I went through all the old kits and rockets in various stages of repair to determine whats usable.

Question: Any good soureces for decals, once we get to the finishing stages? Or do you mostly make your own via paint programs to Averys on color laser printers? Any good primers for DIYers, and sources of decal jpg images appreciated there.

Also have a couple of Semroc kits in the hopper as well (Lune R1, and a Centuri Laser X clone kit) to start on.

Heres a picture of the Super Eagle going up as well as one of the Hi-Flier from yesterday.

Yes, there are quite a few vendors who can create waterslide decals for you. Our very own Astronboy does good work. Also recommended is Tango Papa Decals (don't know the url right off; just google him).

Sources of decal jpegs: JimZ posts plans for nearly all the old Estes and Centuri kits, decal images included. Also, many of the aforementioned vendors carry a selection of decals for the most popular clones.

Looking for tips? Too many to list here; use TRF's search feature and you'll get more than you bargained for.

Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to TRF!

Give this boy the Grand-Pooba gold medal TRF award! His first thread and he's got pictures! (we love pictures :) )

Welcome to TRF and to model rocketry. Lots of fun and no better parent/child activity that you could find (in my opinion :) )

We have some generic decal sheets at FlisKits. You can see what they have on them at: https://fliskits.com/products/components/prod_pages/decals.htm

keep up the great work! :)

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Give this boy the Grand-Pooba gold medal TRF award! His first thread and he's got pictures! (we love pictures :) )

Welcome to TRF and to model rocketry. Lots of fun and no better parent/child activity that you could find (in my opinion :) )

We have some generic decal sheets at FlisKits. You can see what they have on them at: https://fliskits.com/products/components/prod_pages/decals.htm

keep up the great work! :)

jim

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. Expect an order at somepoint in the future (depending upon Real Life)

Mark

What rockets are you looking to get decals for?

And - you mentioned some old kits. What kinda loot did you get that has yet to be built?

Re: Bunch of reconstruct jobs that will need refinishing (around 10 rockets), plus a box of project material that will wind up as various homemade kit bash jobs.

The kits a re a few old Centauri deals (Payloader II, Iris, and an old, orignal boxed Saturn 1B, which I'm saving for later when skills catch up, so don't even ask. :D

Since you like pics here ;)

My friend and his family pulled his old stuff out of retirement, and joined all of us yesterday; heres one of his...

Heres my friend helping my son set up one of his old rockets on the pad.

Lugnut, you may be new here on the forum, but you look like an old-timer pro at getting consistently good pictures of rocket launches (I am jealous, all I get pix of is smoke)
Any technique tips?

Absolutely! Let my friends wife my take them. ;) She has a good digital camera and volunteered to take the pictures of us, and did a great job. Me? Don't ask, haven't tried any action shots yet.

Mark

Last one...

The Super Eagle has landed (even with the bad chute pack).

Originally posted by Lugnut
Re: Bunch of reconstruct jobs that will need refinishing (around 10 rockets), plus a box of project material that will wind up as various homemade kit bash jobs.

The kits a re a few old Centauri deals (Payloader II, Iris, and an old, orignal boxed Saturn 1B, which I'm saving for later when skills catch up, so don't even ask. :D

Since you like pics here ;)

My friend and his family pulled his old stuff out of retirement, and joined all of us yesterday; heres one of his...

If you wanted to make $200 or more on eBay, you could sell that Saturn 1B. I bet you'd get *at least* $200 on eBay. And that is truly a conservative guess.

That's not for me, though. (If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get Apogee's current one.)

Welcome to TRF and back to the hobby.
I see a Mars Lander there behind your friend!
Along with the Century kits you guys have quite a group there.

Originally posted by Fore Check
If you wanted to make $200 or more on eBay, you could sell that Saturn 1B. I bet you'd get *at least* $200 on eBay. And that is truly a conservative guess.

That's not for me, though. (If I was going to spend that kind of money, I'd get Apogee's current one.)

Lugnut, on behalf of the TRF moderators, WELCOME ABOARD! From the looks of it you guys are already having some successes! A lot of newcomers to the hobby learn the limits of their fields and rockets the unfortunate way - sometimes they go home emptyhanded 'cause their rockets float away. Glad to hear you guys are having fun.

As for your friend's donations, I am certain that he is not aware of the monetary value of what he has given you. Some of those rockets are highly sought after and are very collectable. The Saturn 1B alone will fetch $200+ on eBay easily. As for that futuristic lander (Mars Lander) in the background, please treat it nicely! Since it is built it probably wouldn't go for more than $50-$60, but it is still a gem of a find. I don't think any rocketeer would think less of you for using them what they are intended for (especially since the youngster sees nothing but fun), but please treat them gently and don't allow them to end up in the toy box at the bottom underneath the footballs and skates! :eek:

Once again, welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions as they come. Also, there is a useful "search" button up top that will generate many answers to frequently asked questions.

Take care,

Eugenio

Welcome Lugnut...

Nuthin like hitting the ground running (or loading the pad launching) with a bunch of great kits and photos and such. Follow the code, build em', launch em' have fun.

(planet) Andy

Thanks for the welcome guys. Appreciate the feedback. BTW, I'm not coming back to the hobby, I'm a 1st timer. Parents never let me get into rockets as a kid (which only goes to prove their better judgement).

I know the Saturn kit is valuable, I may consider just hanging on to it and keeping it in kit form. I would probably want to to do a few new level3/4 kits before I would even consider contemplating building it. Its the old preserve or fly debate, ask any warbird owner.

The Lander was an interesting thing. I didn't realize that was as valauble as it is. It had a 'bum leg', but we got it operational. As luck would have it though, it did a nose plant without deploying when he launched it. Luckily though, the damage to the nose was extremely minimal. I'll inform him that he should treat it with more kid gloves, or see if he wants me to restore it (it was a bit rough to begin with after 20 years storage). ;)

Oh, did I mention I hope to build a custom 3 station launch controller and pad as well? :D I'll need something to do over the winter. Just need a time machine....

Lugnut, on behalf of the TRF moderators, WELCOME ABOARD! From the looks of it you guys are already having some successes! A lot of newcomers to the hobby learn the limits of their fields and rockets the unfortunate way - sometimes they go home emptyhanded 'cause their rockets float away. Glad to hear you guys are having fun.

No kidding, my friend wanted me to put a C6 in the HiFlier, and I told him no way. That field we were at wouldn't contain that bird even in zero wind conditions. Love that little rocket :)

Back