First time going a big event - XPRS in Black Rock Desert.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjstone

Reaction score
What do I need to know about XPRS and about Black Rock Desert events.

Camping?
Driving conditions?
Do they have vendors?
Multiple launch sites for LPR, MPR & HPR?
I have AeroPac, Tripoli and NAR membership already.
--> May go for L1, been doing mostly LPR and MPR rocketry to date.
--> Mostly building as I live in California and we have short windows to fly anything.

I've seen some of the other post, but what specifically should I know about Black Rock Desert events?

Thanks,
Scott.

What do I need to know about XPRS and about Black Rock Desert events.

Camping?
Driving conditions?
Do they have vendors?
Multiple launch sites for LPR, MPR & HPR?
I have AeroPac, Tripoli and NAR membership already.
--> May go for L1, been doing mostly LPR and MPR rocketry to date.
--> Mostly building as I live in California and we have short windows to fly anything.

I've seen some of the other post, but what specifically should I know about Black Rock Desert events?

Thanks,
Scott.

camping..yes..imagine camping in a dry lake bed that is 10 miles wide and 25 miles long..bring shade water food..anything you think you might need/want.
Driving conditons..yes use a hand held GPS ..find the GPS launch site numbers on AeroPac's web page. DO NOT rely on your phone or dead reckconning..dust and now smoke makes the hand held GPS a must have/use.
Yes ..3 or 4 Vendors
not multiple launch site ..one launch site with everything from 1/8" rods to 1500' away cells.
The smoke may limit things..
If your have medical/breathing problems ..consider we are way out in the middle or no where..Helicopters will be your medical transportation.

Tony

Thanks!

GPS --> Will a car GPS that can use GPS coordinates suffice?

I'm going myself this year then plan on taking kids, possibly even wife who are all campers, next year once I know the layout and lowdown.

How is the social situation. Currently I only have LPR and MPR rockets and would like to get into HPR.
Looking to pick some brains on HPR and fill mine with the pickings. :cool:

I'm building an Estes Mega Der Red Max and with a jolly logic that I think would work for an L1 attempt.
I have a bunch of G engines, but no H, which I assume I can purchase there for an L1 try.

Scott.

Last edited:
Was going to ask about time and setup for XPRS, but I found that.

http://www.xprs.org/1630122397351.png
XPRLISS Launch waiver (MSL) schedule;

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday =
  • 7:00 am - 6:00pm - 12k'
  • 6:00 pm - 10:00pm - 60'
  • 7:00 am - 9:00 am - 250k' window
Thursday =
  • 7:00 am - 10:00pm - 12k'
  • 7:00 am - 9:00 am - 250k' window
Saturday =
  • 7:00 am - 10:00 pm - 60k'
  • 9:00 am - 11:00 am - 250k' window
Sunday =
  • 7:00 am - 1:00 pm - 60k'
  • 9:00 am - 11:00 am - 250k' window

I've been to the playa several times for launches. The link John posted should be sufficient. There are unmarked "roads" on the playa made by other cars heading in a general direction but you don't have to follow them. Otherwise it's pretty flat, but watch out for playa snakes (see John's link). I'd suggest getting there before sundown for your first trip there or else drive at a moderate speed. I've tent camped on the playa and as other have said you will get playa dust everywhere and you'll never completely get rid of it. Be sure to keep your tent well staked or have heavy things in there in case there are dust storms. Bring a bandana or mask in case of dust storms. A radio would be a good thing to have to keep in touch with people at the launch if you need to drive off to recover a rocket. There are sand dunes on the north side of the playa, so be careful if you take a car up there. Don't drive on the playa if it's wet or has been raining. Bring lots of water! There are portapotties that AeroPAC brings. It will be cold at night (like low 40s probably) and can get hot during the day. Be sure to check out your windows periodically while driving, since there are no roads or lanes and you can get surprisingly close to other cars without seeing them. It's a great place to launch and a cool place in general, so I hope you can make it!

If you are following a vehicle to the launch be sure they are going there.
This sounds stupid but there are people going many place other than the launch and you can end up far away.

Check weather forecast before going, at BALLS we have had 100 degrees and other year snow.

Sent out to the AEROPAC list just the other day by our Prefect Jim Green:
"The BLM called and said that the 12 mile entrance got pretty chewed up and the road got pulverized into a big pile of dust from the non-sanctioned Burning Man event. They recommend using the 8 mile entrance and just driving across the playa to the launchsite.
Jim"

William

Is there anyone onsite that can comment on how bad the wildfire smoke is?

I arrived on 9/11 and departed on 9/18 as the winds started howling. Saturday through Thursday were wonderful calm clear days and nights. The weather forecast of high winds and the chance of rain had me bug out last Saturday at 2pm and drive home. Back home our weather station was reporting inches of daily rain, and a wet playa was something I didn't want to tangle with again. As it turns out the late afternoon winds were fierce and dropped the visability to near zero, but the ARLISS/XPRS launch site only got a sprinkle of rain early Sunday morning and the morning the sky is clear and the winds are elevated by flyable.

The second 12 Mile playa access point is in good shape, and that was my exit point yesterday. I went in on 8 mile and the middle of the playa is nice and solid, with limited serpents. If you come in on 12 Mile and drive on West Side road, there is a 1000 yards of dark fluffy playa you will need to cross, before reaching the solid center region. Over in the area where BALLS launch site is located the playa is dry, but soft. It's the kind of terrain that makes your vehicle drink fuel.

Last edited:
I’m thinking about taking my son out to the 2023 XPRS. Does anyone have any recommendations for a RV rental place in Reno? Thanks!

Back