first thing to do

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wergugy

Reaction score
hey, i want to start model rocketry. what do you think i should get first and the folowing things in order. may be even where to buy them? and prices?

oh and i live in vancouver b.c. so maybe places close there

strongly recomend apogee components they will send you a free DVD in how to build your first rocket they have amazing cosumer service and they are really there to help you go to apogeerockets.com to request your free DVD and they I recommend you start with the sky starter set they even trow in
a DVD on building skill level one Model rockets $15 dollar value for free it has a launch pad ignitors engines launch contoler and the sky eagle
I beleive of I one thing for the payed merchandice to arrive quickly but when the free stuff arives just as fast that really says somthing
the link fo the starter set is here https://www.apogeerockets.com/sky_starter_set.asp

Last edited:
hey, i want to start model rocketry. what do you think i should get first and the folowing things in order. may be even where to buy them? and prices?

I would recommend you go to one of the Michael's craft stores https://hosted.where2getit.com/michaels/?addressline=vancouver&country=CA&searchradius=50 and pick up an Estes Starter set. You'll get two rockets, the launch pad and a launch controller in the starter set. I would estimate 99% of the people on this site started out with Estes or similar rockets. It's a great way to get started.

After you've gotten a few flight out of the starter set, go back, Micheal's also has motors and kits.

You might want to sign up for their email newletter. They send a lot of 40% off single item coupons and once in a while a 50% off single item or 25% off whole purchase coupons.

Last edited:
I would recommend you go to one of the Michael's craft stores https://hosted.where2getit.com/michaels/?addressline=vancouver&country=CA&searchradius=50 and pick up an Estes Starter set. You'll get two rockets, the launch pad and a launch controller in the starter set. I would estimate 99% of the people on this site started out with Estes or similar rockets. It's a great way to get started.

After you've gotten a few flight out of the starter set, go back, Micheal's also has motors and kits.

You might want to sign up for their email newletter. They send a lot of 40% off single item coupons and once in a while a 50% off single item or 25% off whole purchase coupons.

ditto

I would recommend you go to one of the Michael's craft stores and pick up an Estes Starter set. You'll get two rockets, the launch pad and a launch controller in the starter set. I would estimate 99% of the people on this site started out with Estes or similar rockets. It's a great way to get started.

Just a heads up, not all Michael's have rockets in store. Here in the Denver area I haven't seen one yet. Hobby Lobby however has all the Estes stuff in this part of the country. They also have 40% off coupons on their website about once a month or more. And about once a month they also have the Estes stuff at 30% without a coupon. Check the online flyer to make sure the 40% off coupon doesn't coincide with the 30% off sale.

I'll agree that one of the starters is by far the best deal. Someone just mentioned that Hobby Lobby has all the new Estes kits in stock now which means hopefully they'll have some of the new starters as well. There are several launch sets that offer two rockets plus a launch pad and controller for real cheap. The best I think is the Tandem X set. This offers you a large simple kit (The Amazon) that launches on 18mm engines. It also offers you a 2nd rocket that is skill level 1 that also uses 18mm engines. Then you can launch both rockets with a single package of engines. I'd recommend the B4-4 or the B6-4 engines. You can get these at Michael's or Hobby Lobby as well. The other multi-rocket launch sets have rockets that use two different types of engines (18mm and 13mm mini engines) so you'd need to buy two packs of engines to launch both rockets. And both rockets in those sets are the quick build E2X type rockets so you won't get to experiment with getting the fins on straight and playing with balsa which are skills you'll need for many rockets down the line.

The Tandem X set is about $30 but with the 40% off coupon it's only about $20 after tax. Stop at a different store with another coupon or return to the same store later and get a pack of engines. They will run you about $9 for three engines. With the coupon that's only about $6.50. Other things you'll need would be some good quality white or yellow (carpenters) glue and a hobby knife. I'd also pick up some 1/8" sewing elastic in the sewing section. Use this to replace the rubber shock cord that comes in the rocket kits (and be sure to double the length used in the kits!). For the glue, knife and elastic you'll probably spend another $5 or so. So for about $30 you'll have everything you need except the AA batteries for the launch controller and maybe some sandpaper for the skill level 1 kit.

Here's a link to all the Estes launch sets so you can check them out:

https://www.estesrockets.com/store/rockets/launch-sets.html

Have fun!

No rockets at Michaels here (Topeka that is) either. I started on Estes rockets, but there is a dozen ways to go. Quest starter kits, Estes starter kits, Apogee starter kits.... Just shop around and get something you like that is not too difficult and hang around here to ask questions and get advice.

thanks guys. but i think that i neel to save up a little before i can buy a starter kit. looking foreward to the day i get one though.(hopefully its soon)

Another interesting starter set is the Estes Customizer set:

https://www.estesrockets.com/store/rockets/launch-sets/001479-customizertm.html

I've seen them in Walmart so you might be able to get one there (I'm pretty sure they are also cheaper than the Estes price at WM so take a look). You get a launch pad and controller and two set of rocket parts that you can put together in a lot of different ways.

I'd recommend a starter set from Wal-mart as well, if you can find them. I have to admit though I haven't seen them there in quite a while.

Whatever you purchase, from whereever, just have fun with it all and enjoy yourself. :)

thanks guys. but i think that i neel to save up a little before i can buy a starter kit. looking foreward to the day i get one though.(hopefully its soon)

You can check out our site for plans to build a simple launch pad and controller.
Or Just Click Here :)

It's not all that pretty, but it is low cost. Also, once you understand what is going on with what the launch pad and controller does, you can get more elaborate with the next one.

This set will launch most any model rocket and can be modified with a 3/16" launch rod for mid-power.

I also invite you to check out our Beginner Rockets as a great place to start and learn about model rocketry.

Hope this helps!
jim

I'll be purchasing from Apogee since they took the time to analyze Quest's MLAS kit. I've never purchased from them but if they took time to examine thing then that's good in my book.

Actually i'd suggest spending a little time at the Library. Find a copy of G. Harry Stines Handbook of model rocketry. any edition will be fine.

Then you can start with just about any "starter set-up" or build your own with confidence and great base information.

I'll be purchasing from Apogee since they took the time to analyze Quest's MLAS kit. I've never purchased from them but if they took time to examine thing then that's good in my book.

I started with my rocketry experience with apogee and have been buying from them ever since. :) iv always been a happy camper because of them

The apogeerockets.com website is the best place to start. Surf around on there and you will find lots of videos on constructing a model rocket. After you have watched a few and feel anxious to begin, order a skill level one rocket and build away. Everything is so well explained!!

umm apogee rockets only ship to us... and i live in canada. also i dont want to buy online.

There is no charge to watch his instructional videos. Estes makes some nice rockets. Most stores that carry any rocket stuff have some of theirs. I'd still suggest building a skill level 1 rocket first. The packaging identifies the skill level.

There is no charge to watch his instructional videos. Estes makes some nice rockets. Most stores that carry any rocket stuff have some of theirs. I'd still suggest building a skill level 1 rocket first. The packaging identifies the skill level.

okay i will watch some of the videos and see what i learn.

umm apogee rockets only ship to us... and i live in canada. also i dont want to buy online.

Apogee does ship to Canada last time I checked;) but if your are really a pocket pincher go to walmart and find a moon mutt starterset it has everything you need for $10 and motors are $5 for a 4 pack

okay i will watch some of the videos and see what i learn.

While you are at the Apogee website, download a bunch (or all) of their rocketry newsletters. There is a LOT of free information there for everyone from the beginner to the most advanced rocketeer. Really good stuff!!!

Back