First post - unidentified rocket kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say right here in The Watering Hole would do just fine. Welcome to TRF!

Please can you help me identify this rocket kit?
This kit was started by someone who only got as far as drawing four lines on the body tube for fins.
I bought it from a vendor who was told it was a 'Super Intruder', however I cannot find any details for it anywhere.
The fins are quite unusual, so I am hoping that the 'rocket gods' are going to be kind, and someone will recognise it.
It has 4" phenolic tubes, the tubes are 4" OD, 3.9" ID, approx. 34" long (2 of them)
The motor tube is 54mm ID, 57.8mm OD, approx. 34" long
Nose cone has R.W.W dist. printed on it
Anyone able to help?

Best regards
Kev

20160612_163348.jpg20160612_163405.jpg20160612_163410.jpg20160612_163417.jpg20160612_163420.jpg20160612_163425.jpg20160612_163437.jpg20160612_192654.jpg20160612_192700.jpg20160612_192820.jpg

I see a bag there with some instructions... detail shot?

Conformal launch lugs.

Looks like a custom setup to me..... the MMT is quite long/hasn't been cut yet. A kit would have something shorter.

It appears whoever had it intended to put a FG sock over the BT. Nice.

I don't think this is a kit. I do think it can be turned into something really fun. What vendor was it?

If you need help building it, start a thread in "high power rockets" and we'll give you more advice than you'll know what to do with ;)

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the response - yes the tubes are PML
The Intruder is 3" with 3 glass fibre fins and 38mm motor tube
This is 4" with 4 fins and ply? fins 54mm motor tube
The fins do look similar
Someone has suggested it is a Rocketman Wahoo, the fins on that look identical, however
'The airframe is made of Kraft Phenolic tubing with G-10 Phenolic fins, pre-slotted airframe for precise fin alignment'
As you can see, this kit does not have a pre-slotted airframe and that kit again has 3 fins and they are phenolic.
So I am still hoping that someone can throw some light on this
Thank for your help
Kev

Are you sure? Those do not look like phenolic tubes. They are much lighter in color than typical phenolic. They look like Kraft paper/cardboard. Also typical length for PML tubes are 36", not 34" like Kraft paper tubes. The marked, but not cut body tubes are typical of older Binder Design kits. Also, the four fins vs three fins and the olive colored tubular nylon is pretty telling. I believe it is a Binder Sentinel: https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-binder-sentinel.html.

IMG_0308.png

Last edited:
Are you sure? Those do not look like phenolic tubes. They look like Kraft paper/cardboard. The marked, but not cut body tubes are typical of older Binder Design kits. I believe it is a Binder Sentinel.

x2 on Kraft vs. phenolic. I also see some Binder elements, but Binder kits come all bagged separately and he includes everything you need, very complete kits. Binder does mark the tubes in the same way for fin slots but Binder's fins are made with very high quality ply and those look a bit thin and not up to Binder's specs in the pic.

But it does look more like a kit bash or a modified kit than a kit...hard to tell.

Are you sure? Those do not look like phenolic tubes. They are much lighter in color than typical phenolic. They look like Kraft paper/cardboard. Also typical length for PML tubes are 36", not 34" like Kraft paper tubes. The marked, but not cut body tubes are typical of older Binder Design kits. Also, the four fins vs three fins and the olive colored tubular nylon is pretty telling. I believe it is a Binder Sentinel: https://www.rocketreviews.com/unknown-binder-sentinel.html.

IMG_0308.png

+1................. fin pattern looks to be a dead ringer.

x2 on Kraft vs. phenolic. I also see some Binder elements, but Binder kits come all bagged separately and he includes everything you need, very complete kits. Binder does mark the tubes in the same way for fin slots but Binder's fins are made with very high quality ply and those look a bit thin and not up to Binder's specs in the pic.

But it does look more like a kit bash or a modified kit than a kit...hard to tell.

Mike Fisher has really upgraded the kit quality over time. I think it is older stock from Binder.

The green tubular nylon looks just like the old Binder Design stuff. Maybe mike will weigh in, I know he is super busy these days and may not be spending a lot of time on the forum.

That's one of our older Sentinels. I used to sell the ACME conformal rail guides and nylon sock that people used to add to their order as upgrades. The cone was during a short run by Roy Weid from Public Enemy Rockets where he used the translucent plastic which was handy for night rockets. Fins are 3/16" 5 ply which is what we used to use back then.

This kit was started by someone who only got as far as drawing four lines on the body tube for fins.

I drew those lines on there personally. It appears you do have an incomplete kit however. You are missing the chute, coupler, bulkhead and decals unless those are not pictured. All components were originally bagged and sub-packed with instructions, so someone lost some parts along the way. I'd estimate this kit was originally shipped out between 14 and 15 years ago.

Last edited:
Wow - you guys are amazing - it looks just like the one in the photo! and yes you are correct the tubes don't have the logo inside.
And yes the nose cone is translucent!
Thank you all so much, any ideas where I can get the instructions from?
So the lines were not drawn on by the previous owner?
Cant wait to build this baby!
Much respect to you all and thanks for the time and trouble
Kev

I asked for (and received a blessing) to create a .ork file for this. Problem is, the drive that Mike has the .rkt file on is acting up.

attachment.php

I need to know how thick the centering rings are. The .rkt file I found on rocketreviews.com for this indicates that they are 1/8" thick, but RR's .rkt files are notoriously wrong way too often.

Also, I need the instructions... and if you could Amanwhocan, could you measure the fins for me. I need to know them in a X/Y coordinate system, where 0/0 is the most forward point on the root edge.

If you can also weigh the components, I can add that info into my sim... otherwise, it's default for the component material. I'm going to guess the tube coupler is 6" (if it were produced today, they'd likely be 7", and the fins would be altered to accommodate a thrust ring, and be either 1/4" or 5mm 12 ply birch. Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!
Jim

Binder Design Sentinel (Stock, 54mm) draft.jpg

Last edited:
It's always fun to see you guys work through a puzzle.

Hope you get around to building this. As you can see, there will be plenty of help if you want it (or not)

It's always fun to see you guys work through a puzzle.

Hope you get around to building this. As you can see, there will be plenty of help if you want it (or not)

Yes indeed.

Build it and post here!

I love my Binder rockets, I certified Level 2 on the original Raptor, and the Stealth was my candidate for night launching (modified the NC with windows for a strobe, and I had Glow Wrap formation light strips on the fins).

Hi everyone, I know this is going to sound dumb, but what is the white View attachment 294267nylon sock / tube for?

Thats a fiberglass/polyester sock, its pulled over the airframe and laminating epoxy is applied to saturate it. If used the airframe needs to be heavily sanded or the glassine peeled to bond properly to the tube. The sock will add a fair amount of damage resistance to the airframe.

Hi Mike, thanks for all the help, I have the 12' green shock cord, but do not have the 'nylon strap', it is mentioned in the parts list, but there is no mention of the length?
Do you have any recollection of how long it was?

Best regards, Kev

I have started the build! but either the instructions are faulty, I am faulty or the fins are cut wrong...
Any experienced person fancy checking it for me?

Back