First post- a few questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenman

Reaction score
Hello all, my name is Liam and I am not new to rocketry but am new to this forum. I have built model rockets all my life for fun here and there on hobbytown type engines. Recently I bought and built my first big step
into LPR with a Aerotech G-Force. I built it well and got many successful flights out of it before I lost it to the wind. I am now stepping it up more with my wildman mongoose 38 kit. I don't have any immediate plans on obtaining certifications due to the fact that I have several expensive hobbies and am a full time law student. I want to have "nice" rockets but I simply want a theatrical blast, a show to 1500ft followed by a safe landing; reload and repeat for two or three launches on the weekend. I also don't forsee myself learning all the high tech gadgetry and circuits because simply stated, I don't know that I will be able to make and sense of it unless someone sits and helps me. I am a very visual and hands on learner. Clearly my rocket will be capable of 10000 ft flights and Mach 1+ (according to my convo with wildman) but here is the way I will be setting it up (and please let me know if I will accomplish my goals with this setup:
1) I am using single deployment with a parachute that wildman said will bring my rocket down fairly quickly so I won't lose it
2) running a pro38 reliadable motor with G1 grain (I hope my termanology is correct)
3) I also plan on rigging a window alarm with a magnetic switch that will beep to help me locate the rocket (should I use a streamer too?)

wildman said that he would expect a dramatic takeoff and a peak altitude of 1500ft ish. Does this seem congruent with the professionals on this forum?

Any feedback is very greatly appreciated. Kindly, Liam

You'll need an L1 Cert to fly anything more than 38mm or 29mm H-Class motors.

You'll need an L1 Cert to fly anything more than 38mm or 29mm H-Class motors.

Actually, in the United States, you need a high power certification from NAR or TRA to fly ANY H and above, regardless of motor diameter size, and there are some G's that fall under the high power rules, as well, due to their power or propellant load.

... I am now stepping it up more with my wildman mongoose 38 kit. I don't have any immediate plans on obtaining certifications...I want to have "nice" rockets but I simply want a theatrical blast, a show to 1500ft followed by a safe landing; reload and repeat for two or three launches on the weekend.
1) I am using single deployment with a parachute that wildman said will bring my rocket down fairly quickly so I won't lose it
2) running a pro38 reliadable motor with G1 grain (I hope my termanology is correct)
3) I also plan on rigging a window alarm with a magnetic switch that will beep to help me locate the rocket (should I use a streamer too?)

Hi, Liam - welcome back into rocketry!

You certainly can do what you're wanting. For example, the Cessaroni Pro-X 38mm motor system has 1 grain 38mm loads that can be flown without any high power certification. They're definitely crowd pleasers, and will get your rocket up there quite nicely. And now that Cessaroni has the spacers to adapt a 2 and 3 grain case for the 1 grain loads, it becomes an easy way into high power if you decide to take that road later.

The nice thing about the Pro-X loads is that there's hardly any cleanup - push the expended load out of the motor case and give it a quick wipedown with a cloth or quick-wipe, and you're ready to load it again in a matter of a minute.

Be sure and get the DAT - Delay Adjustment Tool so you can adjust the delay on the loads, though with that setup you're probably going to want pretty much the max delay anyway.

But, remember that any parachute that's small enough to bring the rocket down quickly, also brings the rocket down quickly - and that might not be what you really want if you're landing in anything other than a soft field. Just food for thought. The window alarm will help, if you lose visual track on the rocket... a radio tracker would also help, if you stay in it long enough to begin to amass some extra goodies.

Actually, in the United States, you need a high power certification from NAR or TRA to fly ANY H and above, regardless of motor diameter size, and there are some G's that fall under the high power rules, as well, due to their power or propellant load.

You are correct, Sir. I was right in the middle of a huge brain fart.

I ordered 1 grain 38mm already, using this setup what type of altitude can one expect with a 2lb rocket?

Hi, Liam - welcome back into rocketry!

You certainly can do what you're wanting. For example, the Cessaroni Pro-X 38mm motor system has 1 grain 38mm loads that can be flown without any high power certification. They're definitely crowd pleasers, and will get your rocket up there quite nicely. And now that Cessaroni has the spacers to adapt a 2 and 3 grain case for the 1 grain loads, it becomes an easy way into high power if you decide to take that road later.

The nice thing about the Pro-X loads is that there's hardly any cleanup - push the expended load out of the motor case and give it a quick wipedown with a cloth or quick-wipe, and you're ready to load it again in a matter of a minute.

Be sure and get the DAT - Delay Adjustment Tool so you can adjust the delay on the loads, though with that setup you're probably going to want pretty much the max delay anyway.

But, remember that any parachute that's small enough to bring the rocket down quickly, also brings the rocket down quickly - and that might not be what you really want if you're landing in anything other than a soft field. Just food for thought. The window alarm will help, if you lose visual track on the rocket... a radio tracker would also help, if you stay in it long enough to begin to amass some extra goodies.

2 pounds is only 1 factor on calculating altitude, I could ballpark an altitude if I knew the diameter of the rocket. This makes a very large difference in altitude attained.

p.s.; looked at Wildman's site, couldn't find the Mongoose.

Last edited:
2 pounds is only 1 factor on calculating altitude, I could ballpark an altitude if I knew the diameter of the rocket. This makes a very large difference in altitude attained.

Look under performance rocketry at Wildman's site...and given the brand name - hope that it is in stock...Nuff said.
Love to have one myself...very sexy.

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/default.asp?groupid=1&groupid1=711424866&groupid2=88310633

https://www.performancerocketry.com/mongoose38.htm

https://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2209/30/

1.jpg

Last edited:

The 38mm kit I assume is 38mm since its a min diameter rocket. I suppose its probably closer to 42mm or so in actuality...

Back