First new kit-bash of the Bush Space Initiative!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, that CEV launch vehicle (Delta IV + CEV) looks like a scratch build waiting to happen. Would make a neat parallel cluster.

I am doing a Delta IV Heavy right now, not sure if the CEV will be included. I will be making a CEV/Delta IV add on for Orbiter though. I really like their designs.:)

Sounds great. What size tubes are you using? What cones? What engine configuration? Are you trying a parallel cluster? If you've discussed in another thread, please point the way.

You can find most of the information here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5832

In that thread I did say I was considering adding the CEV to the Delta IV Heavy, but I am unsure if I am going to do this, since my main goal is to build the entire Delta IV family.

Just to answer some questions that I am unsure I clear up in that post, it will use FlisKits BT-70 tubes, the largest tubes you can currently get from Fliskits, it is going to stand around 2 feet tall (and maybe a few inches more than two feet, I don't remember the exact number) I am going to launch it on a 3 C-11 engine parallel cluster. All of the other Delta IV's I will do will be launched on a single C-11 and the Delta IV Medium + might be launched with a C-11 and two B engines (is this possible?)

I really want to launch this on the day that the first Delta IV Heavy launches which is currently set for July 4th of this year. (Let's hope the real Delta IV Heavy doesn't turn into the days most expensive fire-work)

Most of the other information is contained in that post.

Sounds like a neat project. Hope you'll keep us up-to-date on your progress either here or in the other thread. I see no reason why you can't parallel cluster a 24mm core with 2 18mm outboards.

I was playing with a similar idea in Rocksim, but my design evolved more into a Delta IV "inspired" design than a Delta IV scale or even sport scale. I was thinking of using BT-60's with a 3-engine parallel cluster and gap staging to a sustainer. I was also looking into using FlisKits Deuce's Wild nose cones. They aren't exactly scale here, but they would look kind of like the nose of a shuttle external tank. I was also thinking of a 24mm core with 18mm outboards. D12 core and C6 outboards would have roughly the same burn time. I designed it such that the outboard motor tubes are off-center and as close to the sustainer as possible to keep rotation due to thrust imbalances (or misfires) to a minimum. Since this would be staged, one of the outboards could have a short delay and ejection charge to deploy a parachute (the lower stage will be pretty heavy otherwise). Just ideas I'm toying with, but might get around to building it.

Back