First model rocket experience

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by tmazanec1, Oct 31, 2016.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2019 #31

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

When in doubt, add more rocket TRF Supporter

I have been wondering what exactly will cause me to become un-addicted now, if anything. Hard to envision...

Tyler P likes this.
  2. Dec 1, 2019 #32

prfesser

prfesser

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Would have been around 1965 as I was in 5th grade. The rich kid in the class brought in a model rocket---don't recall which one---and launched it. I was hooked immediately. Pestered Mom & Dad enough to get a couple of Astron Streaks (forerunner of the Mosquito) for me and my brother, and a pack of 1/4A motors. Parents were pissed when they found out you could only use the motors once...

Finally launched mine and lost it. Bro never launched his. I quickly became the model rocket addict of the school.

3. Dec 1, 2019 #33

Tyler P

Tyler P

Tyler P

Nom-nom-nom... TRF Supporter

Totally agree! I can't imagine losing interest!

4. Dec 2, 2019 #34

SCooke123

SCooke123

SCooke123

It was sometime in 1967 - went with a buddy to watch some guys at the park shoot off some rockets. Got me hooked! Went home and convinced my Dad to get some. We ordered the Skyhook and Arcas - got a free Gyroc for ordering!
    Got the Skyhook and Arcas built - first time at park - shot off the Skyhook first with a good flight and recovery. Next was the Arcas ( it had 2 small launch lugs at upper & lower parts of body). The upper lug broke off going up the rod and it did a 90 degree turn and then burrowed into the ground. Bent up the tube just a little. I still have the Arcas to this day - having repaired the lug and flew several more times successfully. Someday I may fly it again after replacing the shock cord.
    Steve

5. Dec 3, 2019 #35

Jeff Curtis

Jeff Curtis

Jeff Curtis

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Late 60's to 1970. Local hobby shop got some Estes kits, and being big on the Apollo program several of us from the neighborhood bought kits. No guidance but we got them together and they all flew. Mine was the V-2. We just flew in the front yard with trees all through the neighborhood. We didn't care and my brother was a good tree climber. Lost several and just went and picked up something new. Not sure if we did it from day 1, but we eventually ran extension cords from behind the couch in the living room. On the 2nd cord we cut off the receptacle, stripped the wires and attached alligator clips. On the countdown, at zero, you just plugged the 2nd cord into the first cord. Never had much trouble getting ignitors to light on 110 volts. ;) 1971 I got a driver license and we could drive to a much better launch field and had a launcher we could run off the car battery. One neighbor kid bought a mosquito and launched it at night with a C6. We thought there was going to be a shoot star effect, but of course it was pffft, and it was gone. Good times.

David M Schigoda likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2019 at 8:43 PM #36

David M Schigoda

David M Schigoda

David M Schigoda

Ha! I did the same thing (in the late 1960's) with the 120 volt AC launch hook up. It never failed to lauch in a fraction of a second. At some point, I wired up a momentary push button switch, in the name of safety (in case I forgot and left it plugged in). ;o)

7. Dec 9, 2019 at 8:53 PM #37

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

AfterBurners

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

probably when I was in middle school like 9th grade I think? I remember building ESTES Der Red Max. There was a hobby shop 3 miles from my house. I use to ride my bike down there to buy rockets etc. I think I paid something like $3.99 for that kit.Funny it flew great. All we had back then was sand paper school glue and hobby knife. no Primer and whatever paint we found laying around we used. Rockets would be built in hours not days. My neighbor had the ESTES SV and at the time I think he said he paid $19.99 for the kit. Not sure if he ever finished building it, but I never remember him launching it.