first micro-maxx build, need spent casing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev Lovejoy

Reaction score
I am going to build a micro-maxx kit from fliskits, and the instructions call for the use of a spent motor casing. As this is my first time with these engines, I have not used up any. Any thoughts on how to do this safely? Or should I just build another kit that does not need this part, fly it and voila!

I've used a fresh motor for this...no big deal.

A bottle rocket (fireworks) has more black powder in it. It's perfectly safe...don't smoke!;)

A short length of 1/4" diameter dowel will work, too. Sand it a little bit if it fits too tightly. (It shouldn't, but just in case.)

MarkII

I've started to include that tip about using a 1/4" dowel in our new kit instructions. Just mark it 1" from the end to indicate how far to slide the engine block up.

Using a fresh MMX motor works too :)

Have fun!
jim

A short length of 1/4" diameter dowel will work, too. Sand it a little bit if it fits too tightly. (It shouldn't, but just in case.)

I don't think I ever would have thought of that. That is a slick idea.

I would have suggested a 1 inch wide strip of notecard, rolled up tightly, with a drop of CA holding the outer edge tightly closed. After it cured I would have sanded flat the exposed edge of the card.

Back