First LOC 4" Phoenix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is my first LOC kit I have built. It is also the first 4" Phoenix kit the was released by LOC. Choose to build the fin can seperate at Jason's suggestion. After sanding all the parts to remove the charring and rounding all the leading edges I test fit all the parts. Went together like a jig saw puzzle, everything fit, no sanding of slots or fins to get them assembled. I then dry fit the tube over the fin can, again everything fit perfectly. I had problems years ago with my 1st Phoenix ( estes) breaking off the lower fins, so I wanted to glass the fins to the motor tube. i cut 4oz cloth to size and used Z poxy finishing resin to laminate and to form a good fillet. When dry, rolled it over to complete all 8 joints. While parts were drying I filled the NC seam to get ready for paint. Also fit the RNWS in at this time. After all epoxy had set up I got ready to install the tube with Hysol 9462 epoxy. This is an aerospace grade 2 part epoxy that will not drip or run, ran a bead on all the rings and slid the tube in place. Clamped her together and put fillets of Z poxy on all the rings and allowed to dry. I used the Hysol again to make fillets on the outside for the fins. it is 24 hrs to setup. Prepped the airframe for primer and shot the white on the NC. I used Omni MTK for this as I will the on the body also.
I was lucky enough to have Jason also include the 38 MM adapter as I had mentioned that I wanted to use her for my lev1 cert. Looking forward to flying her and looking forward to building my second LOC kit. They did a great job on this one.

Attachments

• Rocket Pictures 015 (1).JPG
    Rocket Pictures 015 (1).JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Rocket Pictures 016.JPG
    Rocket Pictures 016.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Rocket Pictures 007.JPG
    Rocket Pictures 007.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Rocket Pictures 001.JPG
    Rocket Pictures 001.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 216
  • Rocket Pictures 008 (3).JPG
    Rocket Pictures 008 (3).JPG
    183 KB · Views: 184
No it is not Flite metal, the brand, but it is aluminum tape. I have never used his stuff. I am sure his is fine, I just had other tape. But thanks. The Phoenix is a great bird, got L1 and L2 with her. Flies on a AT J250 for the most part.

Attachments

• Top Flite P-47 PengieII 011.JPG
    Top Flite P-47 PengieII 011.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 16
Very cool Jug! I noticed your avatar is an A10. Were/are you affiliated with this mount? DMAFB in Tucson is an A10 training base. See them flying daily, usually in pairs; instructor and student. The RC field where I fly is 2-3 miles directly east of DM's main runway. One day an A10 came over at tree top level and we thought it was going to go down in the desert. Read in the paper the next day that an A10 student was on a bombing mission (practice bombs), fully loaded, and lost an engine. He jettisoned his bombs in the desert and was able to make it back to the airport.

Would've loved to have seen that myself.
Nope those are models that I built. Mibo-Jets.

Attachments

• A-10-2.jpg
    A-10-2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15
  • A-10-9.jpg
    A-10-9.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15
  • A-10-1.jpg
    A-10-1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 14
Great looking A10's! Love the cockpit detail! Do you have any pics of your Phoenix rocket?
In the late 80's the Air Force was considering retiring the A10 as they felt it was no longer viable. Senator John McCain fought hard to keep it because he felt it was still useful plus the A10 mission brings a lot of jobs and revenue to Tucson. Then in 1990 the Gulf War started. The A10 was used and proved to still be a very effective weapon. Fast forward 30 years and it's still flying! There has been talk lately, however, of finally retiring it.

LOC Phoenix

Attachments

• rocket decals 2 001.JPG
    rocket decals 2 001.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 32
  • rocket fillets 003.JPG
    rocket fillets 003.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 32
  • rocket fillets 002.JPG
    rocket fillets 002.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 31
  • rocket fillets 001.JPG