First Level 2 scratch build, upscale Estes Shadow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you success with your flight! And the only thing I can say about nervousness is break a leg!

Ari.

Unless it's cancelled at the last minute, looks like I'll be taking the written test and flying the Shadow this Saturday at the SARG launch. I'm getting nervous!
It should be fine.

Rain scheduled for the next 24 hours so the fire hazard should be minimal. Road conditions however remain a question.

It should be fine.

Rain scheduled for the next 24 hours so the fire hazard should be minimal. Road conditions however remain a question.

The latest forecast is saying rain on Saturday morning.

weather_110812.jpg

Good luck Jim, mine is on hold due to a ruptured appendix...yuck!

That was Friday after it ruptured, on the mend now, doc said 4 weeks...that's the worst part!

That was Friday after it ruptured, on the mend now, doc said 4 weeks...that's the worst part!

I hope you mend quickly! Was it laparoscopy or an incision? Are you still in the hospital?

It was a lappy, and they let me go on Sunday, first day I have felt well enough to get up and around, just slow going for the time being...

But I'll be up building a few things while I have the down time, might miss a launch, but I'll make it by building a few rockets!!

Unless it's cancelled at the last minute, looks like I'll be taking the written test and flying the Shadow this Saturday at the SARG launch. I'm getting nervous!

Can you wait until later in the afternoon for flight? My boys and I won't be there until after lunch ... soccer game.

The current weather forecast for Saturday in Rocklin is "Cool with periods of sun" and winds 3 mph with gusts of 6 mph.

Looks good to me.

The current weather forecast for Saturday in Rocklin is "Cool with periods of sun" and winds 3 mph with gusts of 6 mph.

Looks good to me.

The Weather Channel is still calling for morning showers. But that'll just cut down on the dust. LOL

weather_110912.jpg

Can you wait until later in the afternoon for flight? My boys and I won't be there until after lunch ... soccer game.

I'm guessing it will be in the afternoon, since we'll be busy in the morning with the Scout group. I'll try to wait for you. And who would schedule a soccer game on a launch day? :tongue:

It was a lappy, and they let me go on Sunday, first day I have felt well enough to get up and around, just slow going for the time being...

But I'll be up building a few things while I have the down time, might miss a launch, but I'll make it by building a few rockets!!

I'm happy to hear you're doing so well!

Sorry guys, but I do have to sleep sometime! It was a successful and, if I do say so myself, awesome flight! Only made it to 1508ft, even though Open Rocket simmed it to 1667. But it was perfect for Captain Low-N-Slow! I'm very happy with my motor choice, a CTI J400 Smoky Sam. It gave the Shadow a nice and visually striking ride. I have to tell you, as soon as I pressed the video button on my camera, my heart started bounding. I don't know why that triggered it, but I was very nervous. Now that it's over, I'm excited, happy, and relieved! I want to thank my son Joe for all his help, and the AWESOME flight photos. Thanks Joe!

[YOUTUBE]lhE4wBEokRg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]onj3Uifbpm4[/YOUTUBE]

IMGP2040edit.jpg

IMGP2061edit.jpg

IMGP2062edit.jpg

IMGP2063edit.jpg

IMGP2064edit.jpg

AWESOME!:cheers:Congratulations Captain! Rocket LOOKS MEAN on the pad and in the air - great shots!

Awesome flight and build! Looks like it is time to update your signature.

Here are some more shots. The lower section bounced pretty good when it landed. I could probably use a little bigger chute. Man, that's a big rocket!

IMGP2071edit.jpg

IMGP2096edit.jpg

IMGP2100edit.jpg

IMGP2144edit.jpg

IMGP2146edit.jpg

Last edited:
Holy smokes that looks AWESOME on the SS going up!!!

Congrats Jim!!!

I am back to playing catch up...gimme next month! lol

Congrats!

And the 2nd shot from the right on post #293 has to be one of the best rocket shots I have ever seen. Between the landscape, clouds, black smoke - just awesome!

Back