Quantcast

First hand experiences with severe covid19

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I want to share with everyone as example of a potential for anyone that gets the virus what it can do to you from a first hand perspective. Anyone that thinks its a joke, nothing serious or something that won't hit you... think again. Im a 52 year old man who works a physically demanding job, I eat right, work out, train for physical health. I get regular Dr check ups. No issues with anything. Alot of that is due to some past issues involving cancer that with treatment and alot of hard work that actually put me out of the hobby physically for 15 years but I beat it and now taking care of myself is important and cancer free for some time. But I'm very healthy now.

I Was exposed to covid at some point late December and fell ill the 23rd of December at which I was tested positive For covid. The first few days were not that big of a deal. Mild symptoms. like a minor cold. My wife tested negative but we both were told to Quarantine for 14 days together. About 5 days into it my body crashed hard. Fever of 105, body pain, no taste or smell and more.. but the biggest issue was the onset of respiratory distress. no matter how I breathe I couldn't breathe and take in oxygen. My blood oxygen levels dropped to 80 to 82%. I ended up having my Dr do some things and various treatments. None seemed to help or helped very little. I ended up going to the hospital. There I was diagnosed with Covid pneumonia and bacterial pneumonia . This was 14 days after testing positive. Still having high fever. and all the worst symptoms. But again not being able to breathe and a constant suffocating feeling. Was the worst. They treated me with some steroids, oxygen and antibiotics for the bacterial pneumonia. I was sent home to go at it there. Another 7 days go by. Getting sicker yet. Low oxygen levels, unable to breathe. I ended up with weird feeling and then severe pain in my lower right leg on top of the fever, respiratory distress, etc. Go back to the hospital where they do scans and ultrasound. They find blood clots in my right leg. They prescribed blood thinner and sent me home yet again. The next morning I wake and can't breathe even more so now and excruciating pain in my right chest, back and rib area. I'm rushed to the hospital and they find a pulmonary embolism has occurred and blood clots from my leg have moved into my lungs. it's almost cost me my life it was so bad. I'm still currently in the hospital being treated. I still test positive, still fever. I'm also suffering from some neurological issues from it as well. I've been put on a group of drugs as well as blood thinners to get the clot in my lungs to clear up. I've been sick since the 23rd of December and will be out a while longer. I belive I will be fine. But just know. This virus is no joke, it's not a fraud. It doesn't affect all of us the same way. One person may get it and almost nothing. Or like my wife who gets sick with every cold on the planet was with me this whole time has not gotten it. Or a completely healthy person that only 52, never had a blood clot in my life, who never gets any colds or flu. Manages to get a severe case. BTW for those wondering I wore masks I cleaned and kept things clean around me. I kept my distance. I work on first responder and emergency vehicles for a living and suspect physical contact was my infection point.

Do not take this virus lightly. As I write this from my hospital room it hit me to share and inform. I consider rocketry folks like family. I would not want to loose any if you. Please take care.

TSMILLER

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts, prayers and sympathies are with you!
I am home from work with a severe cold and sinus infection. Dr has placed me on antibiotics. I have not tested for COVID by Dr recommendation since I have none of the symptoms other tha;the headache and sinus problems. It hurts to breath but I am not short of breath.
My 88YO mother tested positive last November and ended up in the hospital with, like you, both bacterial and COVID pneumonia.
(Side question for Chuck, is this something normal, both types?)
She also suffers from COPD so oxygen intake is compromised before hand, with COVID her oxygen saturation went to the low 60s. Somehow she fought through it. She is home now, but still struggling with slight dizziness and some residual muscle pains.
I will agree with you. At this point there should not be one person who thinks this pandemic is a joke, a fraud, or anything other than what it is.

FMarvinS

Reaction score
Conway- I'm glad you are on the road to improvement, thank G-D! There is a hypercoagulability occurrence with COVID which probably contributed to your DVT. There are currently FDA approved neutralizing anti-COVID antibody cocktails (i.e. casirivimab and imdevimab) which are administered together by intravenous infusion , that if administered early (for outpatients) can make a big difference. Also, convalescent plasma from individuals with high titer anti-viral neutralizing antibodies, if infused early in the disease course can also improve health status. I thank you for your willingness to discuss your recent medical history which will hopefully induce others to get vaccinated and follow CDC recommended guidelines. Acquiring the vaccine can lead to herd immunity and further decrease the spread of this disease. I hope that you continue to rapidly improve and get back to launching rockets in the Spring!

Regards,
Fred

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conway- I'm glad you are on the road to improvement, thank G-D! There is a hypercoagulability occurrence with COVID which probably contributed to your DVT. There are currently FDA approved neutralizing anti-COVID antibody cocktails (i.e. casirivimab and imdevimab) which are administered together by intravenous infusion , that if administered early (for outpatients) can make a big difference. Also, convalescent plasma from individuals with high titer anti-viral neutralizing antibodies, if infused early in the disease course can also improve health status. I thank you for your willingness to discuss your recent medical history which will hopefully induce others to get vaccinated and follow CDC recommended guidelines. Acquiring the vaccine can lead to herd immunity and further decrease the spread of this disease. I hope that you continue to rapidly improve and get back to launching rockets in the Spring!

Regards,
Fred
Thank you Fred. Much appreciated. It's been pretty scary. Last night was rough could have lost the fight with the pulmonary embolism. But I feel I'm headed in the right direction..

Unfortunately it seems people want to do a multitude of different things. They try to minimalize the danger by trying to use statistics to lighten the urgency of the situation. As we know statistics can be manipulated to see things from any stance but yet not represent the real importance of truth in what's occurring. They want to politicize the issue making it about left or right. It has zero to do with politics. The virus doesn't care what your affiliation is. It harms and kills regardless. People go full bat crazy conspiracy theories and try to find some way in their head to make it something it's not . They try to reference it to other illness that make light of how serious it can be. Somw think it's all a hoax.

Same thing is occurring with the vaccine right now for many of these reasons.

As I type this I also know that my father in law is probably going to die from covid this week. He to is in a hospital. (No contact from me but somehow he was exposed) people make light of the numbers that have died from it. For me I just don't know how the lack of compassion for our fellow man and woman could be so low.

I know many people who have yet to be personally affected by it and just wanted to share my experience so hopefully people can and do see it can hurt you or kill you healthy or not. Its a really odd disease. I May end up with long term issues. Time will tell.

Funkworks

Reaction score
Thanks for the first hand account. The virus doesn’t only affect us physically, but since our best shield is to isolate, it can also affect our psyche. People might associate under fictional beliefs (such as conspiracies) for the sole purpose of being associated at all.

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the first hand account. The virus doesn’t only affect us physically, but since our best shield is to isolate, it can also affect our psyche. People might associate under fictional beliefs (such as conspiracies) for the sole purpose of being associated at all.
I can tell you first hand I have neurological concerns from this. The isolation isn't the issue. But start reducing the amount of oxygen to your body, high fever for 2 to 3 weeks. All the other stuff. My vision focus is reduced. I have hand shakes, my thought process has some confusion.

Funkworks

Reaction score
... People go full bat crazy conspiracy theories and try to find some way in their head to make it something it's not . They try to reference it to other illness that make light of how serious it can be. Somw think it's all a hoax.
I wasn’t clear. I was referring to what you say up here. One reason why some people act like say could be because of lockdowns. When people find themselves stuck at home, conspiracies might become attractive. Just adding a thought.

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn’t clear. I was referring to what you say up here. One reason why some people act like say could be because of lockdowns. When people find themselves stuck at home, conspiracies might become attractive. Just adding a thought.
Absolutely. Unfortunately... I think people already do that before stuck at home. For some reason people like to make more of it than it is. Like the whole vaccine with a tracking chip injected into you.

mo2872

Reaction score
I’ll offer my experience with the Covid-19 here again, if for no other reason than to let people know a positive result isn’t a death sentence. I tested positive October 28, 2020, after a mild(101.3-101.7) fever of about six hours duration on October 26, with a very inflamed lymph node in my groin the next day. That’s it. No other symptoms.

Conway, I pray for your speedy healing!

Exactimator

Reaction score
You certainly don't have to answer this, but by chance are you type A blood? I recall a few articles in the summer that the virus hits type A blood harder.

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
You certainly don't have to answer this, but by chance are you type A blood? I recall a few articles in the summer that the virus hits type A blood harder.

Yes I am. A+ Blood Type.

It's crazy how some get almost nothing and others like myself get it very severe. I didn't know of any blood type correlation. Right now I thank everything and everyone I can for not dying yet. It could have been so easily and definitely still a concern as I'm still hospitalized.

Just can't express enough to everyone, please love the people you care about. Care about your fellow human more than ever. Know that the most important thing is each other.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Nut
Reaction score
wow, I always say that the people who do not believe this need to be forced to work in a Covid ward the first half of the day, and then be given a shovel and spend the afternoons digging graves. I had a PE in my right lung last January. I went to the lung Doctor only to find that I can only develop 30% of my normal inhale pressure, and 40% of the normal exhale pressure. They told me I wouldn't last but 2-3 days if I get it. My core is deteriorating so my muscles around my lungs are going down hill. My right diaphragm muscle is dead. So I know a little about what you're going through and it's really scary to gasp for breath and wonder if it's going to be "The Big One" You'll find out that you won't be able to go out in cold weather without going into Bronchial Spasms which will also leave you going into a major "episode". This happens with just going from the Condo to the car which is about 40ft. So get a heavy/thick Ski Mask to go over your face in cold weather. Keep us informed on your condition.

cbrarick

Wildman CT
Reaction score
The OP's reason for posting was not to accumulate discussion from people who had lesser illness - yes we all know that happens - but to give his tale as what could happen. Or even worse.
As a FF/EMT I can appreciate where he's at. It's impossible to know if you will be exposed, due to no fault of your own, at the next call. I can't wait until my next vaccine and still will be worried about medicals. as 5% chance of getting it still would suck. I'll still run calls, not gonna quit but take my hats off to all who answer the call when 911 is activated - police, fire, ems and ambulance. The nation owes them big time.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I want to share with everyone as example of a potential for anyone that gets the virus what it can do to you from a first hand perspective. Anyone that thinks its a joke, nothing serious or something that won't hit you... think again. Im a 52 year old man who works a physically demanding job, I eat right, work out, train for physical health. I get regular Dr check ups. No issues with anything. Alot of that is due to some past issues involving cancer that with treatment and alot of hard work that actually put me out of the hobby physically for 15 years but I beat it and now taking care of myself is important and cancer free for some time. But I'm very healthy now.

I Was exposed to covid at some point late December and fell ill the 23rd of December at which I was tested positive For covid. The first few days were not that big of a deal. Mild symptoms. like a minor cold. My wife tested negative but we both were told to Quarantine for 14 days together. About 5 days into it my body crashed hard. Fever of 105, body pain, no taste or smell and more.. but the biggest issue was the onset of respiratory distress. no matter how I breathe I couldn't breathe and take in oxygen. My blood oxygen levels dropped to 80 to 82%. I ended up having my Dr do some things and various treatments. None seemed to help or helped very little. I ended up going to the hospital. There I was diagnosed with Covid pneumonia and bacterial pneumonia . This was 14 days after testing positive. Still having high fever. and all the worst symptoms. But again not being able to breathe and a constant suffocating feeling. Was the worst. They treated me with some steroids, oxygen and antibiotics for the bacterial pneumonia. I was sent home to go at it there. Another 7 days go by. Getting sicker yet. Low oxygen levels, unable to breathe. I ended up with weird feeling and then severe pain in my lower right leg on top of the fever, respiratory distress, etc. Go back to the hospital where they do scans and ultrasound. They find blood clots in my right leg. They prescribed blood thinner and sent me home yet again. The next morning I wake and can't breathe even more so now and excruciating pain in my right chest, back and rib area. I'm rushed to the hospital and they find a pulmonary embolism has occurred and blood clots from my leg have moved into my lungs. it's almost cost me my life it was so bad. I'm still currently in the hospital being treated. I still test positive, still fever. I'm also suffering from some neurological issues from it as well. I've been put on a group of drugs as well as blood thinners to get the clot in my lungs to clear up. I've been sick since the 23rd of December and will be out a while longer. I belive I will be fine. But just know. This virus is no joke, it's not a fraud. It doesn't affect all of us the same way. One person may get it and almost nothing. Or like my wife who gets sick with every cold on the planet was with me this whole time has not gotten it. Or a completely healthy person that only 52, never had a blood clot in my life, who never gets any colds or flu. Manages to get a severe case. BTW for those wondering I wore masks I cleaned and kept things clean around me. I kept my distance. I work on first responder and emergency vehicles for a living and suspect physical contact was my infection point.

Do not take this virus lightly. As I write this from my hospital room it hit me to share and inform. I consider rocketry folks like family. I would not want to loose any if you. Please take care.
My thoughts are with you and your family. I too caught COVID. It is not an illness that you should ignore. It was terrible. I hope you recover full and quickly!

NOLA_BAR

Reaction score

Thank you for sharing your story. Hoping and praying for the best to your recovery. Please stay strong!

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Praying for your quick and full recovery.

My wife just heard that a friend just lost her younger brother to COVID, who was healthy and 49. And we know of some long-haulers in our outside circle. We also know people who lost taste and smell for a few days and that was it.

Don't get COVID fatigue, folks. IT WILL END. Hang in there, and do the right things.

Brian

Reaction score
This gave me a bit of a wake up call myself, wow. Your experience is crazy! I hope you feel better and my wishes and prayers go out to you!

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My purpose of posting my experience is only to share with people so they can hopefully know, understand and feel the severity of this virus and to not take it lightly. To understand that even a perfectly healthy individual can get it and can become life threatening ill very very rapidly. This isn't some flu, it's not some common cold. While yes there is some that get no affects to minimal symptoms. You don't know if your going to be the one like myself who end up severe. Im only 52. Great shape. No diabetes or anything like that. I know lots of people don't believe in death tolls, or what happens. PLEASE, I ask you to reconsider and take care of yourselves and loved ones..

Today has been a really rough day. The blood clot still in my lung is extremely painful. Its been a challenge for the staff in the hospital to get things under control such as my oxygen levels and pain.. Coughing lots of blood. I've also heard from my wife that her father probably isn't going to make it beyond the week. So here I am unable to be there for her and our family.

BTW. If your curious. I wear masks, gloves and ppe gear. I am an automotive technician. I haven't missed any time since the beginning of the pandemic. I work on fire department vehicles, first responder vehicles, ambulances and more to help keep our Frontline workers going so they can do the important jobs of helping others. It's suspected that I got the virus through physical contact in one of the vehicles most likely. Even being prepared with equipment things still is no guarantee.

I appreciate all the well wishes and comments. Please be sure to all take care of yourselves

NOLA_BAR

Reaction score
My purpose of posting my experience is only to share with people so they can hopefully know, understand and feel the severity of this virus and to not take it lightly. To understand that even a perfectly healthy individual can get it and can become life threatening ill very very rapidly. This isn't some flu, it's not some common cold. While yes there is some that get no affects to minimal symptoms. You don't know if your going to be the one like myself who end up severe. Im only 52. Great shape. No diabetes or anything like that. I know lots of people don't believe in death tolls, or what happens. PLEASE, I ask you to reconsider and take care of yourselves and loved ones..

Today has been a really rough day. The blood clot still in my lung is extremely painful. Its been a challenge for the staff in the hospital to get things under control such as my oxygen levels and pain.. Coughing lots of blood. I've also heard from my wife that her father probably isn't going to make it beyond the week. So here I am unable to be there for her and our family.

BTW. If your curious. I wear masks, gloves and ppe gear. I am an automotive technician. I haven't missed any time since the beginning of the pandemic. I work on fire department vehicles, first responder vehicles, ambulances and more to help keep our Frontline workers going so they can do the important jobs of helping others. It's suspected that I got the virus through physical contact in one of the vehicles most likely. Even being prepared with equipment things still is no guarantee.

I appreciate all the well wishes and comments. Please be sure to all take care of yourselves
Hang in there buddy! We are all pulling for you!

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing your story! It provided some extra impetus for me to give my mom a much needed call. I knew that she had a chance of being offered an early vaccination dose, because she volunteers in a nursing home after she retired, but she was reluctant to accept the offer. My parents are old enough that I really don't want to find out how well they would handle the infection, so this reluctance was hard to understand for me.
Turns out there were really a few doses left, after residents and caregivers got vaccinated, and my phone call had it's intended effect. The first cat is in the bag as of today. :) Now I hope that my dad won't have to wait too long.

Get well soon!

Reinhard

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you Fred. Much appreciated. It's been pretty scary. Last night was rough could have lost the fight with the pulmonary embolism. But I feel I'm headed in the right direction.
Conway, I'm very glad to hear that you're winning the good fight. It has got to be scary as hell, wondering if that next breath will come.
Unfortunately it seems people want to do a multitude of different things. They try to minimalize the danger by trying to use statistics to lighten the urgency of the situation. As we know statistics can be manipulated to see things from any stance but yet not represent the real importance of truth in what's occurring. They want to politicize the issue making it about left or right. It has zero to do with politics. The virus doesn't care what your affiliation is. It harms and kills regardless. People go full bat crazy conspiracy theories and try to find some way in their head to make it something it's not . They try to reference it to other illness that make light of how serious it can be. Some think it's all a hoax.
The ability of some people to remain in denial in the face of brutal facts is amazing, sad, and infinitely scary, all at the same time. I was told of a woman who was in a COVID ward, gasping for oxygen that just wasn't getting in there. Between gasps she was pleading with the nurse (who related this story) to "tell me what I really have, I can take it." She'd been told by an authority whose word she took as gospel that there was no COVID-19, it was all a political-based hoax. o_O:(

Take care of yourself, Conway, and keep us posted.

Best wishes and thoughts -- Terry

Conway Stevens

Tacos For 10
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Conway, I'm very glad to hear that you're winning the good fight. It has got to be scary as hell, wondering if that next breath will come.

The ability of some people to remain in denial in the face of brutal facts is amazing, sad, and infinitely scary, all at the same time. I was told of a woman who was in a COVID ward, gasping for oxygen that just wasn't getting in there. Between gasps she was pleading with the nurse (who related this story) to "tell me what I really have, I can take it." She'd been told by an authority whose word she took as gospel that there was no COVID-19, it was all a political-based hoax. o_O:(

Take care of yourself, Conway, and keep us posted.

Best wishes and thoughts -- Terry

Thank you Terry. We've met before years ago more Than once. one of the struggles I've had is neurological issues. It's a hard one to deal with. Loss of focus, concentration, shakes. To keep my mind feeling sharp I actually brought your book with me to re-read again as it helps my concentration. probably have read it 60 times since I got it 20 years ago. Really appreciate the book right now even though I've mixed tons of motors. It's always refreshing and keeps my mind feeling sharp. Thank you!!