First go

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter1972

Reaction score
Hi all. Not sure if this is the right section but I'm the new guy.
Have been lurking for a little while and enjoying the reading.
My rocket knowledge/experience is roughly 0. Really enjoying the science behind it all and watching the posted video clips.
Recently purchased an Estes Taser and some A8-3's and a packet of B and C motors.
Put it together today, pretty straight forward other than none of the motors fit with out trimming some cardboard. Around 2-3 mm.
3 successful launches on the A8's, the chute didn't open for any of them though.
Chute was partially ejected each time.
Anyway, no real damage done. Time to keep reading.

Welcome to the forum!

Problems you describe are a bit unusual. Any chance you are near a NAR or Tripoli club?
https://www.nar.org/ At the moment I can’t get the link to local clubs working.
https://www.tripoli.org/Prefectures

People at launches usually have at least had their shots, taken most of their meds, and can be pretty helpful with people at all levels of rocketry experience. Bring your stuff to a launch and I bet they can get you fixed up in a jif.

Welcome to the forum Peter. I notice that this kit uses a 3-piece booster/motor mount module that is glued together around 2 centering rings. Is it possible that you have inadvertently got some beads of glue on the inner edge of the rings, making it difficult to insert the motors. Having to trim 2-3 mm off each motor is unusual.

When you pack the chute, before you replace the nosecone, just pull gently on the chute pack to see if it will come out easily when the motor ejection occurs.

Last edited:
Another test you can do with a small rocket is to pack the chute (and wadding) and before inserting the engine put the end up to your mouth and blow to see how much force is required to pop the nosecone and push out the chute. If it doesn't come out easily or the chute doesn't unfold, change how you pack the chute until it comes out fairly easily.

Another test you can do with a small rocket is to pack the chute (and wadding) and before inserting the engine put the end up to your mouth and blow to see how much force is required to pop the nosecone and push out the chute. If it doesn't come out easily or the chute doesn't unfold, change how you pack the chute until it comes out fairly easily.
I often use that technique, but I generally leave the parachute out for a while after that test to allow the inside walls to dry off. There is moisture in your breathe that can condense on the inside wall, particularly in a small diameter body, that might hinder deployment.

Back