First Flights..Estes Extreme 12 mod and Lynx

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
So Today we had another beautiful Saturday. I also got my D12-0's and my D12-7's from AC Supply....so out the door I went!
I had built an Estes Extreme 12 kit but I modified the fin shapes. The booster is cut from the original fin stock and the sustainer was from something else. I then cut down the BT-55 upper tube a few inches to my liking and viola...I had what I envisioned. This was my first low power two stage flight. I have flown large projects on EX K motors but on this flight I was just as nervous....a fun kind of nervous! Off it went and it did extremely well (no pun intended)...what fun!! But to my surprise....even though the wind was very low...the D12-7 was too long of a delay for the upper stage. Everything turned out OK..but next time I will use a D12-5. I did two, 2 stage flights and they were all nominal. I then went and did a single stage flight on a D12-5 and that worked great too. For once I do have video....but it is on my I-Pod and I dont know how to post a video on TRF. In the meantime...the pre-flight photo is below. I really recommend this rocket! Even if you change the fins it really scoots and is a fun ride!

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

Spiffy rocket!

For once I do have video....but it is on my I-Pod and I dont know how to post a video on TRF.
Post the video to a video sharing site (I just throw them on Youtube) and then link it in here.

Uploading to Youtube is super easy and quick, and then it embeds here nicely.

Next on the pad was the Estes Lynx. My other thread says it was "13mm Awesomeness" and it is indeed! Someone also posted I would be surprised on how high it will go. I kinda did not believe it....but I TRULY was wrong....MAN did it go! If I just had 2-3 more seconds on the delay it would have easily coasted higher! It did not roll, wiggle or anything...straight and smooth as an arrow. This was also the first time I packed a chute in a BT20 size tube....THIS.. was an exercise in "anger management"....Once I crammed everything in there I thought NO WAY is that thing going to come out. Sure enough...everything worked and it did float gently down. Even my plastic parachute was not destroyed. THIS little rocket is something else...I also was impressed with the A10 motor. For its size...it has some get up and go... A pre-launch photo is below. Again, I really recommend this kit...It really launches and coasts well!

IMG_1999.JPG

Spiffy rocket!

Post the video to a video sharing site (I just throw them on Youtube) and then link it in here.

Uploading to Youtube is super easy and quick, and then it embeds here nicely.

Thanks Neil! I will give it a go! I hope you are having a good day/weekend!
Andrew

Back