First Flight - Semi-Sonic Beta Test

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ejected on schedule and returned to earth under its streamer without any harm at all. The added length of shock cord made all the difference.

SS-f1h.jpg

SS-f1i.jpg

A video of the post overhaul flight can be seen here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/3964525863/in/set-72157622478187184/

All in all, I am well satisfied with this rocket. The issues I identified during the build were promptly addressed by First Flight and changes are ti be incorporated into the production model. The production model is supposed to included a decal as well.

Persons wishing to see what happens with this rocket can find it all documented here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23694991@N03/collections/72157622523644403/

Great vids, John; you are really developing a knack for getting the whole flight in focus and following it well with the camera. Great build thread, too. The rocket definitely looks cool, but I'm surprised that it isn't a two-stager. It sure looks like one. Is First Flight the company that produced the Corn-Roc?

MarkII

Thanks.

I can't take too much credit for the vids. I used to use the video feature of my cheapo camera. I have a better camera now but it does not shoot video. Now my daughter tags along and films with a read video camera.

It is made by the same outfit that does the corn rockets. A 2 stage mod might be in the future.

I too was one of the lucky beta tester of this kit :). Just one question. Did yours come with a parachute or streamer? Mine came with a 12" parachute (a nice one too). Got a chance to fly it once. A B6-4 provides a nice ride with this rocket :).
Semi-Sonic.jpg

I too was one of the lucky beta tester of this kit :). Just one question. Did yours come with a parachute or streamer? Mine came with a 12" parachute (a nice one too). Got a chance to fly it once. A B6-4 provides a nice ride with this rocket :).
Semi-Sonic.jpg

Mine did come with a chute, a fairly good one, as a matter of fact. I wanted to try it with a streamer, though. I generally prefer streamers when I think I can get away with them.

Sometimes I am even right.

Great vids, John; you are really developing a knack for getting the whole flight in focus and following it well with the camera. Great build thread, too. The rocket definitely looks cool, but I'm surprised that it isn't a two-stager. It sure looks like one. Is First Flight the company that produced the Corn-Roc?

MarkII

Mark:

Yes, that's me. I've been trying like Ka-RAZEY to get everything set up to do a really, real rocket company. To keep the business dealings straight and separated from my moderator duties, I started up a second TRF account as "First_Flight". Hopefully I'll take care of everything having to do with the kits using that.

I have the LLC, the paypal account, the bank account, mailbox, Fed tax numbers, State sales tax numbers,and etc. All I'm trying to do now is get everything with the first product ready to launch (pun definitely intended). I have been putting finishing touches on things for months now and have the last couple items lined up.

The Semi Sonic will be available this week. There are 18 limited edition numbered and signed kits and 20 regular bagged kits available for sale in this first run. :cyclops:

Soon after that I will offer the Corn-Roc and A-Corn again. The Corn-E needs more research and testing before I can confidently offer it again.

After the corn, then I will offer a 24mm engine "Mega-Sonic" (a BT-60 upscale of the Semi-Sonic), and another design gap-staged 24mm to 24mm two-stager I call the "Ozark Mountain Biggin'". These will hopefully be available around the first of the year.

I will be making more formal announcements today or tomorrow and orders will be taken at that time. The website is still confusing me, so I'll do the first orders through my site e-mail address to be announced later.

Thanks and hope you will enjoy the new kits.

N

Last edited:
Back